Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #12,646 of 13,028
Exactly what I wanted to hear, ha! Thank you! That's great about it being a great pairing with the Ferrum.

I see you have the Utopia as well. I think it's my favorite headphone in general, but I'm thinking the Empyrean would be a really nice relaxed compliment. How do you like your Utopia compared to your Empyrean?
Honestly, I don't listen to my Utopia much anymore. The Utopia does have some finer details but can be fatiguing to me at times. The Empyrean felt a little bloated in comparison at first but I found that it changes character with the chain its being fed from. The Empyrean has better staging and it always just seems to suck me in and make me smile.

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #12,647 of 13,028
It’s a combination of a lot of things. They are super comfortable and lightweight, dynamic without being fatiguing, throw a huge soundstage with excellent imaging and layering. They’re musical and natural-sounding, all while being very detailed and nuanced. The sound they produce doesn’t have any obvious flaws or shortcomings.

On top of all of this, they are easy to drive with almost any amp. They sound great on tubes or solid-state. They can scale with a better source chain but also have the ability to sound incredible with even a modest setup.

Build quality/design is probably the best of any headphone in the world. The Empyrean shares this honor as well. Every part on the headphones screams quality and attention to detail. Every time I adjust the sliders I am impressed with how precisely they have been machined to offer the perfect amount of resistance. Everything from the look to feel of the headphones is phenomenal.

When I compared them to my Auteur and Verite Closed as well an Atrium I had on loan for a week, I always came away more impressed with the Elite. I like all 3 ZMFs, but every time I put on the Elite it just sounded “right”. The only two headphones I still have besides the Elite are my Ash Auteur and a Mod House Argon MK2 that I use for late night tv-watching when the family is asleep. For music, I reach for the Elite 95% of the time.

I’m still looking forward to my demo with the Caldera in a few months. If any headphone has a chance to dethrone the Elite, it would be Zach’s first planar.
I feel the same way about my Elite and the Caldera. I tried several excellent headphones against my Elite in the last 1.5 years but the Elite always came out victorious. Especially with the new angled pads. In a few days I am getting a Caldera for review, I feel that will be the toughest battle for my Elite so far. :)

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #12,648 of 13,028
Thank you! And ja, Empy's are fab and fun – went through the cable and pad rolling. Then opened the Elites and after 30 minutes of listening of various tracks, went oh my these are "grown-up" Empys and has FiR Audio RN6 vibes. Both are great headphones, though Elites are definitely more my speed and listening style of late.

Had not considered Liric, yet... just received the 109 Pro today.
I kept my RS8 because of how good it pairs with Empyrean, congrats. Looking forward to reading more of your impression when you have time.

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #12,649 of 13,028
Honestly, I don't listen to my Utopia much anymore. The Utopia does have some finer details but can be fatiguing to me at times. The Empyrean felt a little bloated in comparison at first but I found that it changes character with the chain its being fed from. The Empyrean has better staging and it always just seems to suck me in and make me smile.
I can see that - I have a deep love for the Utopias, but what I'm needing out of another headphone, perhaps with the Empyrean or the Elite (which I'm now considering), is what you're describing your experience being with your Empyrean.

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #12,650 of 13,028

That is my experience with Susvara and Empyrean as well, Susvara has more details, better timber, etc. But Empyrean are good with Ambience and Bass, It is more engaging especially for long late night sessions, song after song I never feel like I had enough.

With WA33 and upgraded tubes Empyrean does not sound boomy, it has good extension with sub-bass and bass feels like big fat pillow.

20230805_154304.jpg

Sep 2, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #12,651 of 13,028
I’m looking to trade for a pair of Emperyans but was trying to determine the age of them as the current owner was the second owner and did not know the purchase date. They are the standard black with copper rods serial number EMPBLK118X. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me their serial number (doesn’t need to be exact but close enough I can get an idea) with the month of purchase so I can get an idea.

Sep 2, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #12,652 of 13,028
I’m looking to trade for a pair of Emperyans but was trying to determine the age of them as the current owner was the second owner and did not know the purchase date. They are the standard black with copper rods serial number EMPBLK118X. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me their serial number (doesn’t need to be exact but close enough I can get an idea) with the month of purchase so I can get an idea.
118 is a relatively low serial number for that colour version. Meze released that version in 2020, so my guess is 2020 or 2021 if the box sat in stock for a year (which can happen). So, you are most likely looking at a 2–3-year-old Empyrean. Age is only one thing though; usage and condition matters more (just like with us humans). :)

On a different note, the Empyrean sounded surprisingly good on this dCS stack at CanJam:

PXL_20230819_102915525.jpg

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #12,654 of 13,028
Thank you for the response. Just to clarify they are serial number one thousand one hundred and eighty ish. The X was the last number. I was able to find serial number 101X from an October of 2019 inspection date. But just looking for more data points
I see. Well, the colour scheme was launched in January 2020, so can't be older than that. Meze might have inspected 118X before launch as well, or shortly after for sure. They sold several hundred a year if not thousands.

Sep 2, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #12,655 of 13,028
I’m thinking, jumping back into the Empyrean again after a couple year hiatus. I did have the Elite for a little while but I’m thinking maybe the Empyrean might be more euphonic. I don’t remember how lacking the detail was, but I’m not looking for a resolution monster.

I sold my Elite and picked up a used Final Audio D8000 non pro. Great sounding headphone. I think the bass is not that far off from the TC.

Sep 3, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #12,656 of 13,028
I’m thinking, jumping back into the Empyrean again after a couple year hiatus. I did have the Elite for a little while but I’m thinking maybe the Empyrean might be more euphonic. I don’t remember how lacking the detail was, but I’m not looking for a resolution monster.
Do it! I ended up getting the Empyrean and I'm really glad I did (thanks everyone who replied to me this past month asking for some thoughts). I own some very resolving TOTL flagships but realized I was missing the joy when listening to every genre and that's now back in a big way with the Empyreans. Euphonic I think is a pretty good description. Very enjoyable, which I think is the point.

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #12,657 of 13,028
Do it! I ended up getting the Empyrean and I'm really glad I did (thanks everyone who replied to me this past month asking for some thoughts). I own some very resolving TOTL flagships but realized I was missing the joy when listening to every genre and that's now back in a big way with the Empyreans. Euphonic I think is a pretty good description. Very enjoyable, which I think is the point.
I find that when I listen to headphones with too much detail (besides the fact that it can come off thin sounding) I find myself listening more to the headphones than relaxing and just enjoying the music.

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #12,658 of 13,028
I find that when I listen to headphones with too much detail (besides the fact that it can come off thin sounding) I find myself listening more to the headphones than relaxing and just enjoying the music.
Me too. Some headphones are great at details though and don't sound quite thin (headphone I own - Susvara and Utopia may sound thin when comparing to the Empyrean, but I wouldn't say they're generally thin sounding), but my experience has proven that I need a balance for enjoyment while I listen. Empyrean is great for that.

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #12,659 of 13,028
I owned the Elite’s for a stint, but went back to the Empyrean’s after about a year with them. I found the Empyrean’s to have more soul and musicality than the Elite’s. The angle alcantara pads and an upgraded silver cable levels the playing field and improves the Empyrean’s technical performance in the process. The Empyrean’s have more textured bass with a fuller overall sound. The alcantara pads really cleans up the midrange and opens up the sound more to my liking. With my gear, the Empyrean’s gets the nod over the Elite’s. This is not saying that Empyrean’s are the better headphone over the Elite’s, because the Elite’s still are the more technically competent headphone, but it’s a lot closer with the new pads.

Sep 4, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #12,660 of 13,028
Empyrean is a wonderful headphone. I sold mine and now use the Elite for portable listening. That sale was the right choice but 100% I miss the Empyreans.

I also own Susvara and these can also be very natural sounding and soulful (without fatigue) but the cost of the chain to get to that point is quite ridiculous. If you can get there though it's probably one of the best things you will hear.

That said; if I had never heard anything else I would be more than happy with the Empyreans and my Sony DAP. It was so enjoyable you could call it a day and pursue other interests. Maybe take up stamp collecting or climb some mountains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back