Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 4, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #12,661 of 13,028
Empyrean is a wonderful headphone. I sold mine and now use the Elite for portable listening. That sale was the right choice but 100% I miss the Empyreans.

I also own Susvara and these can also be very natural sounding and soulful (without fatigue) but the cost of the chain to get to that point is quite ridiculous. If you can get there though it's probably one of the best things you will hear.

That said; if I had never heard anything else I would be more than happy with the Empyreans and my Sony DAP. It was so enjoyable you could call it a day and pursue other interests. Maybe take up stamp collecting or climb some mountains.
I owned the Susvara’s for four years. They are indeed natural sounding with great timbre, but they are sooo chain dependent. I finally sold them as I got tired of amp chasing. I thought the Elite’s could replace them, but they fell short in a number of ways outside of having better bass. The Empyrean’s with the angled alcantara pads really are incredible performers.

Sep 4, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #12,663 of 13,028
Sep 4, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #12,664 of 13,028
Sep 11, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #12,666 of 13,028
Let me start off by saying, if you haven't purchased the angled pads, go ahead and do yourself a favor and get them. You will not regret it. You will be wondering why you didnt do it sooner. As you can see, buying a new elite or empyrean, they include the angled pads. They know its the best sounding pad.

So I did a lot of pad rolling today, I was trying to convince myself to not get rid of my elites. A lot of the elites characteristics can be found in other cans. So I began my pad rolling, trying every pad meze makes for these headphones. Of course the best sounding pad for me with the elites are the angled. I tried the hybrids, didn't care for those at all. Will be selling those. Had those on the elites, being its suppose to be the best sounding pad before the angled came out. Tried the alcantara, again better but to much bass for me, got rid of the superb clarity. I put on the empyrean leather pads on the elite, gentleman I found my match. Vocals are now open, the sound stage surronds me, just the right amount of bass. Still has that superb detail elites are known for, but now its not right in your face,forcing you to analyze the music, instead of listening/enjoying the music. Now I can justify keeping both.

The empyreans with the angled pads, puts it closer to the elites and then makes the elites redundent. Same house sound, elite has more detail, empyrean are warmer, but with angled pads on empyrean, now your getting a warm detail sound. With the elites your just getting more detail, but other headphones have this quaility. More detail on the elites is not fun for me. Elites will start revealing bad quaility sources, and you stop enjoying the music, asking yourself what happend.

Always keeping the empyreans of course no other headphone does what these do. When you add the angled pads to the empyreans its end game status. Empyreans just goes good with all my music, and flows with any dac/amp I throw at it.

Sep 11, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #12,667 of 13,028
Let me start off by saying, if you haven't purchased the angled pads, go ahead and do yourself a favor and get them. You will not regret it. You will be wondering why you didnt do it sooner. As you can see, buying a new elite or empyrean, they include the angled pads. They know its the best sounding pad.

So I did a lot of pad rolling today, I was trying to convince myself to not get rid of my elites. A lot of the elites characteristics can be found in other cans. So I began my pad rolling, trying every pad meze makes for these headphones. Of course the best sounding pad for me with the elites are the angled. I tried the hybrids, didn't care for those at all. Will be selling those. Had those on the elites, being its suppose to be the best sounding pad before the angled came out. Tried the alcantara, again better but to much bass for me, got rid of the superb clarity. I put on the empyrean leather pads on the elite, gentleman I found my match. Vocals are now open, the sound stage surronds me, just the right amount of bass. Still has that superb detail elites are known for, but now its not right in your face,forcing you to analyze the music, instead of listening/enjoying the music. Now I can justify keeping both.

The empyreans with the angled pads, puts it closer to the elites and then makes the elites redundent. Same house sound, elite has more detail, empyrean are warmer, but with angled pads on empyrean, now your getting a warm detail sound. With the elites your just getting more detail, but other headphones have this quaility. More detail on the elites is not fun for me. Elites will start revealing bad quaility sources, and you stop enjoying the music, asking yourself what happend.

Always keeping the empyreans of course no other headphone does what these do. When you add the angled pads to the empyreans its end game status. Empyreans just goes good with all my music, and flows with any dac/amp I throw at it.
Are the angled pads you're referring to the hybrids leather and alcantara Elite pads?

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #12,668 of 13,028

Interesting ... I appreciate this was a 'pads' exercise, but what cables are you using ? SE or Balanced ? ... or does that not make a difference ?

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #12,670 of 13,028
Audition at digistore.ch in Genève.
This system gives Empyrean justice. Even with leather pad and stock 6.3 cable.
Just the right balance everywhere. Incredible.
MolaTambaq-Aurend200-Empyrean.jpg

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #12,671 of 13,028
Audition at digistore.ch in Genève.
This system gives Empyrean justice. Even with leather pad and stock 6.3 cable.
Just the right balance everywhere. Incredible.
MolaTambaq-Aurend200-Empyrean.jpg
Hadouk Trio ... Soft Landing ... great album for the Empyrean !!

I've just upgraded my stock SE cable to balanced & part silver ... well worth the upgrade.

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #12,673 of 13,028
I am planning to upgrade the Empyrean headphone cable, I now have the stock, is the Meze upgrade copper cable much better?
Have you taken a look at Forza-Audioworks cables? Their hybrid types would seem the best for Empyrean, part silver, part copper. I use the Claire Hybrid, although the Noire Hybrid is possibly a more refined, and more expensive, option.

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #12,674 of 13,028
I am planning to upgrade the Empyrean headphone cable, I now have the stock, is the Meze upgrade copper cable much better?
It feels and looks better that's for sure.
If it changes the sound signature in any way is up to you.

I got the silver plated upgrade cable with my silver Elite and love the looks and feel of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back