Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 4, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #12,631 of 12,984
Hey all -

I'm considering selling my ZMF Atrium and getting an Empyrean. I find that I consistently don't prefer the way that the Atrium is tuned with most genres of music. I do however, enjoy it with ambient music. Last time I heard the Empyrean, I didn't listen to that kind of music on it, but it sounded great in a way that I'm looking for - technically good, yet in a nice, laid-back late-night kind of way, which makes me think it might be a perfect change.

Any thoughts or comparisons between these two headphones that have heard both or thoughts in general on the Empyrean with ambient music?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 4, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #12,632 of 12,984
Hey all -

I'm considering selling my ZMF Atrium and getting an Empyrean. I find that I consistently don't prefer the way that the Atrium is tuned with most genres of music. I do however, enjoy it with ambient music. Last time I heard the Empyrean, I didn't listen to that kind of music on it, but it sounded great in a way that I'm looking for - technically good, yet in a nice, laid-back late-night kind of way, which makes me think it might be a perfect change.

Any thoughts or comparisons between these two headphones that have heard both or thoughts in general on the Empyrean with ambient music?

Thanks in advance.
Name 3-4 of your favourite tracks, I would like to try on the Empyrean. Unfortunately no experience with Attrium.

I wanted to ask about your chain, but I see in your signature - WA-23. I've heard that at HighEnd Münnich. That was a mesmerizing experience. It was bringing the best out of the Meze 109Pro together with the Rockna Wavedream.

Aug 4, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #12,633 of 12,984
Name 3-4 of your favourite tracks, I would like to try on the Empyrean. Unfortunately no experience with Attrium.

I wanted to ask about your chain, but I see in your signature - WA-23. I've heard that at HighEnd Münnich. That was a mesmerizing experience. It was bringing the best out of the Meze 109Pro together with the Rockna Wavedream.
Thanks for the reply! And, sure:
Anything off of Tony Anderson's "Nuit" album, Pete Kuzma - Celeste, Ben Bohmer - Beyond Beliefs, and Hiatus - Relic (mixed). Last two are more EDM with ambient elements.

Yes, indeed! I love my WA23. Bought the demo unit at CanJam SoCal. I did not get to try the Empyrean off of it, but I tried the Empyrean on the WA33 another time and loved it.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #12,634 of 12,984
Anything off of Tony Anderson's "Nuit" album, Pete Kuzma - Celeste, Ben Bohmer - Beyond Beliefs, and Hiatus - Relic (mixed). Last two are more EDM with ambient elements.

Yes, indeed! I love my WA23. Bought the demo unit at CanJam SoCal. I did not get to try the Empyrean off of it, but I tried the Empyrean on the WA33 another time and loved it.
Any reason you’re not considering the Elite? I’ve compared it to the Atrium and came out preferring the Elite across all genres.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #12,635 of 12,984

Thank you for the music suggestion.

Nuit - as the genre suggests - warm enveloping cushion.
Beyond beliefs - gave goosebumps when the bass joined around 0:16.

I am a bit biased - Empy fan for four years now (maybe even five).

My chain was: Qobuz streamed by EverSolo DMP-A6 --- Wavelight --- Envy with Erlog MO --- Empyrean with original alcantra pads.

PS: just switched over from this one:
[ ] - on Icelandic works for the stage by Iceland Symphony Orchestra on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/track/195140547

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #12,636 of 12,984
Any reason you’re not considering the Elite? I’ve compared it to the Atrium and came out preferring the Elite across all genres.
Mainly for money purposes but also, admittedly, aesthetic. Love the copper and black.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #12,637 of 12,984
Mainly for money purposes but also, admittedly, aesthetic. Love the copper and black.
Understood. I have the original polished aluminum Elite and prefer the Tungsten version since it’s a little more understated. In the end though sound and comfort are more important to me than aesthetics.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #12,638 of 12,984
Thank you for the music suggestion.

Nuit - as the genre suggests - warm enveloping cushion.
Beyond beliefs - gave goosebumps when the bass joined around 0:16.

I am a bit biased - Empy fan for four years now (maybe even five).

My chain was: Qobuz streamed by EverSolo DMP-A6 --- Wavelight --- Envy with Erlog MO --- Empyrean with original alcantra pads.

PS: just switched over from this one:
[ ] - on Icelandic works for the stage by Iceland Symphony Orchestra on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/track/195140547
Nice notes - thanks! Cool chain, too. How are you liking the Envy? I looked into getting that but ended up getting the WA-23.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #12,639 of 12,984
Understood. I have the original polished aluminum Elite and prefer the Tungsten version since it’s a little more understated. In the end though sound and comfort are more important to me than aesthetics.
Totally get that! Both Elite and Empyrean are the most comfortable headphone I think I've ever worn.

I've heard the Empyrean is not as obviously impressive at first but gets more enjoyable over time - have you owned both or did you just end up getting the Elite after auditioning both?

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #12,640 of 12,984
Hey all -

Thanks in advance.

The Empyrean has been my favorite headphone in my current collection for quite some time. It pairs extremely well with the Ferrum stack which I see you have in your signature. Your description "technically good, yet in a nice, laid-back late-night kind of way" pretty much nails my own experience. I have never heard the Atrium so I cannot offer a comparison there.

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #12,641 of 12,984
The Empyrean has been my favorite headphone in my current collection for quite some time. It pairs extremely well with the Ferrum stack which I see you have in your signature. Your description "technically good, yet in a nice, laid-back late-night kind of way" pretty much nails my own experience. I have never heard the Atrium so I cannot offer a comparison there.
Exactly what I wanted to hear, ha! Thank you! That's great about it being a great pairing with the Ferrum.

I see you have the Utopia as well. I think it's my favorite headphone in general, but I'm thinking the Empyrean would be a really nice relaxed compliment. How do you like your Utopia compared to your Empyrean?

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #12,642 of 12,984
Totally get that! Both Elite and Empyrean are the most comfortable headphone I think I've ever worn.

I've heard the Empyrean is not as obviously impressive at first but gets more enjoyable over time - have you owned both or did you just end up getting the Elite after auditioning both?
I actually haven’t ever heard the Empyrean. I skipped straight to the Elite after owning various ZMF headphones over the past few years. I actually traded my Epoxy Resin Stabilized Verite Closed with someone here on the forums for the Elite. It was a gamble, but it has since become my favorite headphone.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #12,643 of 12,984
I actually haven’t ever heard the Empyrean. I skipped straight to the Elite after owning various ZMF headphones over the past few years. I actually traded my Epoxy Resin Stabilized Verite Closed with someone here on the forums for the Elite. It was a gamble, but it has since become my favorite headphone.
Gotcha. What makes the Elite your favorite?

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #12,644 of 12,984
Gotcha. What makes the Elite your favorite?
It’s a combination of a lot of things. They are super comfortable and lightweight, dynamic without being fatiguing, throw a huge soundstage with excellent imaging and layering. They’re musical and natural-sounding, all while being very detailed and nuanced. The sound they produce doesn’t have any obvious flaws or shortcomings.

On top of all of this, they are easy to drive with almost any amp. They sound great on tubes or solid-state. They can scale with a better source chain but also have the ability to sound incredible with even a modest setup.

Build quality/design is probably the best of any headphone in the world. The Empyrean shares this honor as well. Every part on the headphones screams quality and attention to detail. Every time I adjust the sliders I am impressed with how precisely they have been machined to offer the perfect amount of resistance. Everything from the look to feel of the headphones is phenomenal.

When I compared them to my Auteur and Verite Closed as well an Atrium I had on loan for a week, I always came away more impressed with the Elite. I like all 3 ZMFs, but every time I put on the Elite it just sounded “right”. The only two headphones I still have besides the Elite are my Ash Auteur and a Mod House Argon MK2 that I use for late night tv-watching when the family is asleep. For music, I reach for the Elite 95% of the time.

I’m still looking forward to my demo with the Caldera in a few months. If any headphone has a chance to dethrone the Elite, it would be Zach’s first planar.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #12,645 of 12,984
It’s a combination of a lot of things. They are super comfortable and lightweight, dynamic without being fatiguing, throw a huge soundstage with excellent imaging and layering. They’re musical and natural-sounding, all while being very detailed and nuanced. The sound they produce doesn’t have any obvious flaws or shortcomings.

On top of all of this, they are easy to drive with almost any amp. They sound great on tubes or solid-state. They can scale with a better source chain but also have the ability to sound incredible with even a modest setup.

Build quality/design is probably the best of any headphone in the world. The Empyrean shares this honor as well. Every part on the headphones screams quality and attention to detail. Every time I adjust the sliders I am impressed with how precisely they have been machined to offer the perfect amount of resistance. Everything from the look to feel of the headphones is phenomenal.

When I compared them to my Auteur and Verite Closed as well an Atrium I had on loan for a week, I always came away more impressed with the Elite. I like all 3 ZMFs, but every time I put on the Elite it just sounded “right”. The only two headphones I still have besides the Elite are my Ash Auteur and a Mod House Argon MK2 that I use for late night tv-watching when the family is asleep. For music, I reach for the Elite 95% of the time.

I’m still looking forward to my demo with the Caldera in a few months. If any headphone has a chance to dethrone the Elite, it would be Zach’s first planar.
Thanks for this. The soundstage is particularly important to me in this case.

I've heard the Caldera, liked it a lot, but chose the Atrium over it. Now I want to sell the Atrium, so it's interesting how show conditions can play a role. I've heard similar things about the Caldera as I have with the Empyrean though - both grow on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back