Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #11,926 of 12,988
Glad you like the Empyrean, and I hope you'll come back and update your Empyrean journey after 1-2 months.

There isn't a lot of choice at $1K for R-2R DAC. If you want to build a system for Meze Audio headphones (yes, I have to consider the possibility that you want to upgrade to Elite down the road :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) along with these requirements, I would suggest Musician Pegasus + Violectric V266.
The Musician Pegasus is probably the best value in R2R Ladder DACs. IMO it sounds better than the Denafrips Aries II, and about as good as the Pontus II. Throw some upgraded fuses in there and it's a heck of a DAC.

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #11,927 of 12,988
Posting here because I just picked up a pair of Empyrean's and they arrived today :). Been listening to them for the past hour (Schiit Bifrost Multibit -> Jotunheim 2) and WOW, I'm currently loving them. Coming from a pair of Aeon Flow Opens and A2C, these are just next level. Was a present to myself and boy I'm satisfied right now, and I'm sure that will just keep going up as my ears "burn-in" heh.

Anyways that's just my first-blush, gotta get back to listening to form more specific opinions =)

Jun 24, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #11,928 of 12,988
Posting here because I just picked up a pair of Empyrean's and they arrived today :). Been listening to them for the past hour (Schiit Bifrost Multibit -> Jotunheim 2) and WOW, I'm currently loving them. Coming from a pair of Aeon Flow Opens and A2C, these are just next level. Was a present to myself and boy I'm satisfied right now, and I'm sure that will just keep going up as my ears "burn-in" heh.

Anyways that's just my first-blush, gotta get back to listening to form more specific opinions =)

They do improve as they burn in. If you find yourself wanting a little more detail then you can use either Meze's Silver Upgrade cable (silver plated) or one of the more exotic 100% silver cables. Beautiful headphones, enjoy!

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #11,929 of 12,988
They do improve as they burn in. If you find yourself wanting a little more detail then you can use either Meze's Silver Upgrade cable (silver plated) or one of the more exotic 100% silver cables. Beautiful headphones, enjoy!

So far this is 100% true, got about 5 more hours on 'em, and I can really hear them starting to open up. One thing I notice is I have to be careful about my listening volume :joy: they have basically no distortion, and I can just crank them higher and higher. I've purchased Meze's balanced copper cable, so excited to try that out when it arrives, the Silver one is a bittt too pricey for me :wink:

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #11,930 of 12,988
Wow, 9 weeks, that must be a very long wait, glad the story ends with a beautiful outcome.

Please keep us updated on your honeymoon with Empyrean, I am sure this will be a good read because your story has a theatrical opening already. :beerchug:
2nd verse might be a bit more boring (but for some in a good way).

I'm using the leather pads most of the time and applied a subtle EQ to get these where I like them most
+5.5db 85hz q0.7
-2.5dB 200hz q1
This gives a bit more sub-bass while also removing some of the excess upper-bass presence. On my dead-neutral Lake People RS-08 this gives me the comfort, sound quality and sound signature I was looking for for every day, all day listening.
The Audio-gd Master 19 gives a bit more width and euphoria to the sound while it retains the details. Empy + M19 = fun, technical fun.

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #11,933 of 12,988
I’m looking to buy a Meze 6.35mm silver plated cable if anyone is looking to sell theirs. I have the 4.4mm version that I’d be open to trading as well. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested. Thanks!

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #11,934 of 12,988
Act three: customisation

Ordered a pair of Elite pads after reading some of the reviews. Got them today. I don't have any complaints about the fit or depth. My ears love em!
Had to alter the height a bit since the pads are a bit leaner. Compared to the leather pads these offer extra clarity and reduce the mid-bass bump. My EQ settings have changed a bit in that regard. I'm only using a low-shelf of 3db to emphasize the sub-bass a bit cause I like it that way.

When I switched back to the stock leather pads I felt I was missing out on some details. Yeah I prefer the Empyrean with the Elite hybrid pads over the stock pads.

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #11,935 of 12,988
Act three: customisation

Ordered a pair of Elite pads after reading some of the reviews. Got them today. I don't have any complaints about the fit or depth. My ears love em!
Had to alter the height a bit since the pads are a bit leaner. Compared to the leather pads these offer extra clarity and reduce the mid-bass bump. My EQ settings have changed a bit in that regard. I'm only using a low-shelf of 3db to emphasize the sub-bass a bit cause I like it that way.

When I switched back to the stock leather pads I felt I was missing out on some details. Yeah I prefer the Empyrean with the Elite hybrid pads over the stock pads.
Glad you didn't regret it :)

Jul 1, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #11,936 of 12,988
Act four: true love

I'm revisiting one of my favourite albums of all time: Ayreon's Into the electric castle and it's quite an emotional journey so far.
Where the Empyrean shines for me is the placement of voices and instruments. It's tonality (with the elite pads) is just spot-on for me (do I hear an you-need-hear-this-on-elite ? :p) and it's capability to be musical and emotional is just everything I was looking for.
The only headphone I have heard that shares these qualities (but is lacking dynamics) is the Sennheiser HE-60.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #11,937 of 12,988
Act four: true love

I'm revisiting one of my favourite albums of all time: Ayreon's Into the electric castle and it's quite an emotional journey so far.
Where the Empyrean shines for me is the placement of voices and instruments. It's tonality (with the elite pads) is just spot-on for me (do I hear an you-need-hear-this-on-elite ? :p) and it's capability to be musical and emotional is just everything I was looking for.
The only headphone I have heard that shares these qualities (but is lacking dynamics) is the Sennheiser HE-60.
I think you are entering inside the "Meze rabbit hole" :relieved::beerchug: I'm glad you are enjoying them :L3000:

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #11,938 of 12,988
My Meze silver cable arrived. Beautiful in every way. I am (once again) amazed at the change in sound a cable can bring to the Empy. It's all grown up now but not at the expense of its youthful sparkle. I thoroughly enjoyed the bump up in SQ with the Meze copper upgraded cable, but this cable is just at another level. It has improved the sound in every way. I have read about the wonders it does for the treble, and I certainly concur, but man, it has done wonders for the bass as well. Never heard the Empy's bass presented with such perfection. In case you're wondering if this cable is worth the price of admission or are on the fence... just buy it. You will not regret the purchase.

Meze Silver Cable.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #11,939 of 12,988
Having spent hours with the Maze silver cable this week, with zero burn in I might add, I cannot imagine listening to the Empy with another cable. Had Meze included the silver cable as part of the Empy package from new, there would be a rather different sentiment amongst the naysayers. It strikes a superb balance between technical capability, heart and soul, and that thing that is far too easily set aside as a "nice-to-have" amongst audio enthusiasts - fun.

Jul 15, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #11,940 of 12,988
Having spent hours with the Maze silver cable this week, with zero burn in I might add, I cannot imagine listening to the Empy with another cable. Had Meze included the silver cable as part of the Empy package from new, there would be a rather different sentiment amongst the naysayers. It strikes a superb balance between technical capability, heart and soul, and that thing that is far too easily set aside as a "nice-to-have" amongst audio enthusiasts - fun.
I can understand how you might come to this conclusion not having heard other cables, but I just picked up the Meze Silver last week after all the rave reviews here and I can’t say I agree. I have an Audio Sensibility statement silver cable which is actually a little bit less money, and it completely kills the Meze cable. Way more musical and coherent presentation from the AS. I find that the Meze Silver (which is actually copper wrapped with silver) to be lean by comparison and actually a little shrill at higher volumes - I guess if you have a very dark amp, this might be desirable but I would rather add some eq correction in Roon than have it in the cable.

I was actually really shocked because I switched over quite enthusiastically to the Meze when I got it and listened to it exclusively for a week on my DNA Stratus & Cayin HA-300 MK2. I spent a fair amount of time burning it in when I was not critically listening. I was listening to Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey hi-rez on the Meze Silver which is a recording I’m very familiar with, and I thought it just sounded kind of wimpy and shrill, so I switched back to the other cable and to my ears, it was no contest. Tried some Joni Mitchell, some Led Zeppelin, some Zero 7…. The audio sensibility statement won hands-down every time, not even close.

I know everyone’s individual opinions about sound quality and what we value in tonality are different. But I do urge anybody who has invested in these headphones to give the audio sensibility statement cable a try. It’s really good value for the money and it makes these headphones sound so good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back