Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 16, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #11,941 of 12,974
I can understand how you might come to this conclusion not having heard other cables, but I just picked up the Meze Silver last week after all the rave reviews here and I can’t say I agree. I have an Audio Sensibility statement silver cable which is actually a little bit less money, and it completely kills the Meze cable. Way more musical and coherent presentation from the AS. I find that the Meze Silver (which is actually copper wrapped with silver) to be lean by comparison and actually a little shrill at higher volumes - I guess if you have a very dark amp, this might be desirable but I would rather add some eq correction in Roon than have it in the cable.

I was actually really shocked because I switched over quite enthusiastically to the Meze when I got it and listened to it exclusively for a week on my DNA Stratus & Cayin HA-300 MK2. I spent a fair amount of time burning it in when I was not critically listening. I was listening to Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey hi-rez on the Meze Silver which is a recording I’m very familiar with, and I thought it just sounded kind of wimpy and shrill, so I switched back to the other cable and to my ears, it was no contest. Tried some Joni Mitchell, some Led Zeppelin, some Zero 7…. The audio sensibility statement won hands-down every time, not even close.

I know everyone’s individual opinions about sound quality and what we value in tenality are different. But I do urge anybody who has invested in these headphones to give the audio sensibility statement cable a try. It’s really good value for the money and it makes these headphones sound so good.
Have you compared the AS against many other cables for the Empy?

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #11,942 of 12,974
Have you compared the AS against many other cables for the Empy?
Just the stock cable that came with the cans, and the Meze Silver. I’m definitely not trying to say I’m an expert on all cables with these headphones, just that in comparison the audio sensibility sounded significantly better than the Meze wires. And they’re less money.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #11,944 of 12,974
I can understand how you might come to this conclusion not having heard other cables, but I just picked up the Meze Silver last week after all the rave reviews here and I can’t say I agree. I have an Audio Sensibility statement silver cable which is actually a little bit less money, and it completely kills the Meze cable. Way more musical and coherent presentation from the AS. I find that the Meze Silver (which is actually copper wrapped with silver) to be lean by comparison and actually a little shrill at higher volumes - I guess if you have a very dark amp, this might be desirable but I would rather add some eq correction in Roon than have it in the cable.

I was actually really shocked because I switched over quite enthusiastically to the Meze when I got it and listened to it exclusively for a week on my DNA Stratus & Cayin HA-300 MK2. I spent a fair amount of time burning it in when I was not critically listening. I was listening to Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey hi-rez on the Meze Silver which is a recording I’m very familiar with, and I thought it just sounded kind of wimpy and shrill, so I switched back to the other cable and to my ears, it was no contest. Tried some Joni Mitchell, some Led Zeppelin, some Zero 7…. The audio sensibility statement won hands-down every time, not even close.

I know everyone’s individual opinions about sound quality and what we value in tonality are different. But I do urge anybody who has invested in these headphones to give the audio sensibility statement cable a try. It’s really good value for the money and it makes these headphones sound so good.
I recently bought a LPS upgrade kit for my Lumin U1 Mini from Audio Sensibility. Fantastic guys to deal with. Will probably pick up the cable you mention at some point down the line. For now the Meze silver is just doing everything right for me. I get that we all have unique experiences and that there are too many variables in the mix to know for sure if the spend is going to pay off. Thanks for the post, I would not have thought of spending on an Audio Sensibility cable. Now it's pretty much top of my list.

Jul 16, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #11,945 of 12,974
I’m not going to lie, the strongest pull for me is how perfectly the silver Meze cable matches the aesthetic of my Elite. If I had a copper Empyrean, I would probably favor the matching Meze copper cable. This is a shallow reason to buy such an expensive cable, so I am trying to find a really good deal on used silver Meze cable with a 6.35mm connector.

I’m content using my ZMF OFC cable with my Elite at the moment. I actually prefer it to my more expensive ZMF 2K Copper cable when paired with the Elite. I think synergy comes into play quite a bit with cables just like any other combination of audio equipment. Higher prices don’t always equate to more enjoyment.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #11,946 of 12,974
So for those that have both the copper and the silverplated meze cables: how do they differ from each other sound-wise?
There's a fair bit of commentary on these cables through this thread, and one or two in-depth reviews on the interwebs. I have both - a summary of my experience:

Copper: Big step up from the stock cable. I was so surprised at the bump up in SQ that I fail to understand why the Empy does not come standard with the upgraded copper cable from new. The entire sound spectrum is improved. Stage is larger, treble, mids, and bass all noticeably hit the ears at new heights that the stock cable is just not able to achieve. It is like a veil is lifted and there is a cohesiveness to the experience that was not there before. Worth every cent. I would go so far as to say it is a must have if you are not a contender for the silver cable.

Silver: Even bigger step up over the stock (and upgraded) cable. Standouts above the upgraded copper cable are stage and resolution (another veil I did not know was there is lifted), and also more space in the mix. Treble sparkles (yes I know it's a way over-used cliche - but it truly does and its never harsh) and the bass tightens up tremendously, yet is never thin - the bass is one of the highlights for me, it is Empy perfection. The Empy is now all grown up but it has not lost any of its fun, youthful nature. If you're looking to squeeze everything you can out the Empy (from a genuine Meze cable) then this is the one. Sadly it is not cheap and as such I would only recommend it if you're keeping the Empy for the long haul.

I understand Trickness has had a different experience to me with the Maze silver cable, so please take my comments with a large dollop of YMMV, however, my experience with the Meze silver (silver coated) cable has been pretty incredible to say the least, and I consider it money well spent.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #11,947 of 12,974
I’m really liking a Norne silver/copper and Wywire platinum with the Empyrean. A fast cable seems to be a good pairing.

Does anyone here have IEMs that they feel like capture some of the lush sound signature of the empyrean? I haven’t been into IEMs but I’m interested to hear if anything reminds someone of the empyrean.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #11,948 of 12,974
Having spent hours with the Maze silver cable this week, with zero burn in I might add, I cannot imagine listening to the Empy with another cable. Had Meze included the silver cable as part of the Empy package from new, there would be a rather different sentiment amongst the naysayers. It strikes a superb balance between technical capability, heart and soul, and that thing that is far too easily set aside as a "nice-to-have" amongst audio enthusiasts - fun.

I still think this is just all about whether people like bright or warm headphones, lol

Jul 19, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #11,949 of 12,974
I still think this is just all about whether people like bright or warm headphones, lol
True, I agree though that the Empyrean with the stock cable could turn people off that don't like a warmer sound. Neither is wrong though, and honestly sometimes swapping cables really makes a harshly produced album more palatable. The Empyrean can really achieve a lot of variation between the two pads and cable options. I like the Elite too, but the times I have listened to it I just really wanted more lushness like the Empyrean. I like a warmer headphone that retains that detail up top. I think a faster cable does get you closer to the Elite sound signature though if you're into something ever so slightly more neutral.

Jul 19, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #11,950 of 12,974
True, I agree though that the Empyrean with the stock cable could turn people off that don't like a warmer sound. Neither is wrong though, and honestly sometimes swapping cables really makes a harshly produced album more palatable. The Empyrean can really achieve a lot of variation between the two pads and cable options. I like the Elite too, but the times I have listened to it I just really wanted more lushness like the Empyrean. I like a warmer headphone that retains that detail up top. I think a faster cable does get you closer to the Elite sound signature though if you're into something ever so slightly more neutral.
You ever think about running the elite pads on the empy ?

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #11,951 of 12,974
Fortunately when I got my Empys 2 years ago, the dealer agreed to substitute the stock cable with the silver and offset the price accordingly. May be worth anyone making a new purchase to ask for the same.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #11,952 of 12,974
Not really for me. I like the mids bumped a bit on some music, so I use Roon parametric eq for that. It’s about musicality, not brightness or darkness. The Meze silver does not get my toes tapping like the Audio Sensibility cable, no matter how I EQ it.

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #11,953 of 12,974
You ever think about running the elite pads on the empy ?
Yeah I actually really want to try this, but I don't want to spend 200 or whatever it is. Maybe next chance they both are sitting in front of me. I contacted someone who was selling them after trying that very thing on classifieds. They said it was very uncomfortable for them because their ear touched the driver on the Empyrean. Could be a deal breaker.

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #11,954 of 12,974
I don't want to spend 200 or whatever it is

I don't wanna spend 500 on silver cables, either, so I understand. Those pads are cushy, but for sure I thought that was part of why they had distant mids at times. When the elite cut them in half, the writing was on the wall about that, seemingly.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #11,955 of 12,974
Not really for me. I like the mids bumped a bit on some music, so I use Roon parametric eq for that. It’s about musicality, not brightness or darkness. The Meze silver does not get my toes tapping like the Audio Sensibility cable, no matter how I EQ it.

The Empyrean is a warm or dark headphone tho. I mean I know for sure it is now having something like the Arya. I think that a lot of people (See: HD800S) consider "bright" headphones (not in the pejorative sense) to be "more detailed". I am not sure sometimes if things really are more detailed, or whether the presentation style makes you notice different things and you interpret that as "moar detail". Having owned the Utopia in the past, I can attest to the fact that more detail isn't always good and more detail is something that isn't as important to me as it used to be. Some people are on the opposite quest tho. Every headphone I ever had touted as having incredible detail retrieval has been bright.

However, not everyone will agree with this assessment, but it's my working theory for how some people think some headphones are "better" than others when I really don't think they are or they have their own, unique idiosyncrasies.

Arya vs Empyrean is a perfect example, because do you want to give up that lush enveloping sound for more a airy, "detailed" approach ? If you do, what does that say about your preferences ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back