Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 16, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #11,911 of 12,975
How would you compare the Arya sound to Empyrean. Did you get the stealth one? I’m interested in trying that one at some point. I’m guessing the low end is less lush than Empy.

Yeah the Empys bass presentation is much more full and lush. I sometimes watch these big youtube review shows you know all the personalities, and some of them are like "Arya has great bass". It's bass is competent, but yeah, it's not like how it is on the Empyrean. It's better than something like the HD800 though. It's planar bass tho, so it's really well extended compared to a dynamic, the best of which are more punchy and less flat.

Yes, I did get the stealth one. I'm enjoying it. It's a very complementary headphone to the empyrean and it gives me a break from it. It sounds totally different, so it's nice to have that option.

It's very detailed and airy and it's pretty damn good at imaging. the locations it puts track elements are pretty good, rival the Utopia. Female vocals are smooth. Good highs, sometimes on the too much for me side, although never quite going over the edge. Sort of the opposite of the Empyrean actually. Soundstage is not a problem, it's wide but it's not that wide IMO. It's not as closed in as the Utopia tho. it's a bit wider than that, but remains intimate feeling for me. I feel that I'm very close to the vocalist, like on stage with them.

I always wanted a Hifiman, but several things dissuaded me including build reputation and price. Finally the stars aligned with the third Arya revision and its value proposition became too great to resist.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #11,912 of 12,975
I wanted a good, comfortable and long lasting headphone that isn't only doing it for the details but should be able to deliver a whole package. Music enjoyment over all and the ability to disappear during the day.
Long story short: I found and bought a pair of Empyrean in April and the seller sent them out the next day. They went all-the-way from Austria to the Netherlands in a record breaking time: 9 weeks!
I had given up hope and was hunting new opportunities and then today the postman handed over that black/white cardboard box with the suitcase inside!

I am glad that it came and glad that I think I made the right choice (new toy syndrome is strong with this one ofc :wink: I'll report back later this month to see if I still have the same opinion).

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #11,915 of 12,975
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good small travel case for the empyreans? Going on a trip and I don’t want to walk around with a metal briefcase. Anything good and compact out there?
I've taken mine in smaller cases/containers after removing the cups from the headband. The 3 parts are a lot easier to work with in terms of fitting in small spaces. Personally like Lykus cases for durability/security, but have used what's laying about the home for less heavy-duty options, such as a wooden box. Aside from that, came across the following a while back, may help:
Per a reco from someone else I bought this and it works just fine. Not the most refined for sure but the fit and there is a pouch on the lid for cables.

Here a pic of them in the case. Not a prefect fit but works well, and the price is right :)
&
Yep, here is what it looks like with mine.

May be more to your liking/preference than what I did (https://www.reddit.com/r/Mezeaudio/.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3), easily achieved by unscrewing the rod caps & sliding rods out, then screwing back on.
Did anyone try the Elite hybrid pads on Empyrean, if so what's the verdict?
There is a bunch of text in regards to this, from what I recall reading of others (on this & Elite thread plus wherever else). Couple things I remember, most prefer the respective pads with the cans they came with, few like to switch but overall consensus is they work better as intended. And some like Empyrean pads on the Elite for the extra space/comfort factor.

That's all, folks.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #11,916 of 12,975
I've taken mine in smaller cases/containers after removing the cups from the headband. The 3 parts are a lot easier to work with in terms of fitting in small spaces. Personally like Lykus cases for durability/security, but have used what's laying about the home for less heavy-duty options, such as a wooden box. Aside from that, came across the following a while back, may help:

&

May be more to your liking/preference than what I did (https://www.reddit.com/r/Mezeaudio/.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3), easily achieved by unscrewing the rod caps & sliding rods out, then screwing back on.

There is a bunch of text in regards to this, from what I recall reading of others (on this & Elite thread plus wherever else). Couple things I remember, most prefer the respective pads with the cans they came with, few like to switch but overall consensus is they work better as intended. And some like Empyrean pads on the Elite for the extra space/comfort factor.

That's all, folks.
Thanks this is helpful. I never thought of dismantling them.

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #11,917 of 12,975
So, 1 week in, can happily report I have no regrets.
Adapted to the sound rather fast, have no desire to listen to HD700 again. Empyrean is, unsurprisingly, better in every way except, maybe, comfort.
Btw on comfort, found a preferrable spot to wear those on, so have no issues with long sessions. Fell asleep in a chair in them once.
Occasionally found myself checking my surroundings for a few seconds before realising some sounds are not smth going on in my flat, but part of the recording.

As with every step up in gear quality, I'm slowly re-evaluationg my library. Not entirely positive process this, as new gear not only elevates certain tracks, but highlights deficiencies in others. With Empyrean I found some tracks still good and enjoyable, but a bit... mm.. simple? Now I seem to especially appreciate music with more complex and busy composition, faster pacing.

Wonder what a high tier dac, amp and better cable would bring.

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #11,918 of 12,975
Adapted to the sound rather fast, have no desire to listen to HD700 again. Empyrean is, unsurprisingly, better in every way except, maybe, comfort.
Btw on comfort, found a preferrable spot to wear those on, so have no issues with long sessions. Fell asleep in a chair in them once.
Occasionally found myself checking my surroundings for a few seconds before realising some sounds are not smth going on in my flat, but part of the recording.

As with every step up in gear quality, I'm slowly re-evaluationg my library. Not entirely positive process this, as new gear not only elevates certain tracks, but highlights deficiencies in others. With Empyrean I found some tracks still good and enjoyable, but a bit... mm.. simple? Now I seem to especially appreciate music with more complex and busy composition, faster pacing.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, sorry for your wallet :wink:

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #11,919 of 12,975

Yeah I really liked this WyWire Platinum cable I had paired with them. It feels a bit faster. But I don't know that it will change the sound by leagues or anything. I'm personally curious if anyone has a R2R DAC that they like a lot with the Empyreans? I've been using, and loving, the SMSL m400. I'm a Tidal person so I went for something that had MQA option. I'd like to try some Denafrips DACs at some point. I feel like the Empyrean probably benefits from a faster feeling DAC. I like the m400 because it isn't too bright. But before this I was just coming from the Grace SDAC and the internal DAC in a blue powernode 2i. So, I'm not that deep into it yet...

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #11,920 of 12,975
Welcome to the rabbit hole, sorry for your wallet :wink:
My plan was to go with ~1k R2R dac and same pricerange ss amp, and stop at that. But I suspect that's roughly the plan most people here had at some point, so we'll see.
Yeah I really liked this WyWire Platinum cable I had paired with them. It feels a bit faster. But I don't know that it will change the sound by leagues or anything.
I don't expect the cable itself to change the sound drastically, but the combination of dac+amp+cable+balanced theoretically should provide significant improvement.

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #11,921 of 12,975
My plan was to go with ~1k R2R dac and same pricerange ss amp, and stop at that. But I suspect that's roughly the plan most people here had at some point, so we'll see.
I planned for a Schiit Gungnir Multibit + Mjölnir 2 stack with a Hifiman Arya V1

Guess I overshot slightly in the end...

However I'd do it all over again, it was certainly worth it for me

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #11,922 of 12,975
Varies by individual. I went high for my first (likely last) setup, got the RME ADI-2 fs with an Erish balanced amp to pair with the Empyrean. Absolutely zero regrets.

If I ever upgrade, jumping straight to the Bartok & ending it there. But higher chance of being able to someday afford the Dark Mystery & top priority, irregardless of practicality. 🦇

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #11,923 of 12,975
Yeah I really liked this WyWire Platinum cable I had paired with them. It feels a bit faster. But I don't know that it will change the sound by leagues or anything. I'm personally curious if anyone has a R2R DAC that they like a lot with the Empyreans? I've been using, and loving, the SMSL m400. I'm a Tidal person so I went for something that had MQA option. I'd like to try some Denafrips DACs at some point. I feel like the Empyrean probably benefits from a faster feeling DAC. I like the m400 because it isn't too bright. But before this I was just coming from the Grace SDAC and the internal DAC in a blue powernode 2i. So, I'm not that deep into it yet...

I am not aware of any R-2R DAC that are MQA certified, you probably have to pick a stand between R-2R and MQA.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 23, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #11,924 of 12,975

I don't expect the cable itself to change the sound drastically, but the combination of dac+amp+cable+balanced theoretically should provide significant improvement.

Glad you like the Empyrean, and I hope you'll come back and update your Empyrean journey after 1-2 months.

There isn't a lot of choice at $1K for R-2R DAC. If you want to build a system for Meze Audio headphones (yes, I have to consider the possibility that you want to upgrade to Elite down the road :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) along with these requirements, I would suggest Musician Pegasus + Violectric V266.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #11,925 of 12,975
I wanted a good, comfortable and long lasting headphone that isn't only doing it for the details but should be able to deliver a whole package. Music enjoyment over all and the ability to disappear during the day.
Long story short: I found and bought a pair of Empyrean in April and the seller sent them out the next day. They went all-the-way from Austria to the Netherlands in a record breaking time: 9 weeks!
I had given up hope and was hunting new opportunities and then today the postman handed over that black/white cardboard box with the suitcase inside!

I am glad that it came and glad that I think I made the right choice (new toy syndrome is strong with this one ofc :wink: I'll report back later this month to see if I still have the same opinion).

Wow, 9 weeks, that must be a very long wait, glad the story ends with a beautiful outcome.

Please keep us updated on your honeymoon with Empyrean, I am sure this will be a good read because your story has a theatrical opening already. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back