Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #11,536 of 12,974
Just to give you a heads-up, head-fi will delete your post. Apparently it is not allowed to promote personal sales in generic threads.
It actually happens frequently, and doesn't seem to draw the wrath of the community (or the mods) here. FWIW.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #11,537 of 12,974
Is this a Steve Guttenberg?

Yes, that is Mr Guttenberg at CanJam NYC 2018. I have purposively selected a photo without showing his face. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #11,538 of 12,974
Haha, That's a Rinaro driver model we make to show the switchback and spiral coil pattern of Isodynamic hybrid array driver. I have several small LED light to enhance the display effect, when I put the LED behind the Rinaro driver model, it looks like a Rinaro driver shape lamp.

Empyrean Launch at CanJam NYC.JPG
You could sell those and make a mint! I'd buy one!
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #11,539 of 12,974
I don't know if it's heresy to post this (or if it has been addressed before) but the Elite Hybrid pads will fit the Empyrean...you just need a use a little persuasion with the pad edge just outside of the magnet. No, they don't suck out the Empy's bass. They are more shallow so the tip of my ear does touch the inside of the driver face but I'll get used to it. I have all three types of Empy pads and now the Elite pads and will roll them to see what effects they have on my interpretation of the sound signature. So far with about 20 minutes listening to the Elite pad/Empyrean can, it is rather pleasant. I really cant say more since my DAC/Amp (Audio-gd) is really still warming up.
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #11,540 of 12,974
I don't know if it's heresy to post this (or if it has been addressed before) but the Elite Hybrid pads will fit the Empyrean...you just need a use a little persuasion with the pad edge just outside of the magnet. No, they don't suck out the Empy's bass. They are more shallow so the tip of my ear does touch the inside of the driver face but I'll get used to it. I have all three types of Empy pads and now the Elite pads and will roll them to see what effects they have on my interpretation of the sound signature. So far with about 20 minutes listening to the Elite pad/Empyrean can, it is rather pleasant. I really cant say more since my DAC/Amp (Audio-gd) is really still warming up.
-HK sends
I tested that as well but actually preferred the Empyrean leather pads with the Empyrean.

And the Elite Hybrid pads with the Elite.

Owning both enabled me to test all combinations.

Currently listening to my Empyrean again.
Even with owning the Elite and Liric, the Empyrean didn't Lose any of its magic.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #11,541 of 12,974
I tested that as well but actually preferred the Empyrean leather pads with the Empyrean.

And the Elite Hybrid pads with the Elite.

Owning both enabled me to test all combinations.

Currently listening to my Empyrean again.
Even with owning the Elite and Liric, the Empyrean didn't Lose any of its magic.
I did a stupid thing and got the Elite and for whatever reason sent it back. I remember listening to the Elite and feeling like the bass sort of dropped (or decreased drastically) compared the Empyrean. I know I didn't give it long enough burn-in or time to stretch its legs (or my ears/brain time to acclimate). So I will keep the Empy come heck or high water. I purchased the Liric which I really enjoy as a closed back, and am going to re-think the Elite again. This time giving it the time and attention it needs. Because like many people, each headphone can cater to a different listening mood.
Right now though...I got the pads until I get the cans...:beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #11,542 of 12,974
I did a stupid thing and got the Elite and for whatever reason sent it back. I remember listening to the Elite and feeling like the bass sort of dropped (or decreased drastically) compared the Empyrean. I know I didn't give it long enough burn-in or time to stretch its legs (or my ears/brain time to acclimate). So I will keep the Empy come heck or high water. I purchased the Liric which I really enjoy as a closed back, and am going to re-think the Elite again. This time giving it the time and attention it needs. Because like many people, each headphone can cater to a different listening mood.
Right now though...I got the pads until I get the cans...:beerchug:
-HK sends
I think what happens is we do research, wait for the right opportunity to buy and then listen to the equipment with high expectations at home and sort of freak out a bit if not wowed. Then there's pressure of return policy window and I feel the same, like I wish I had more time to spend with some pieces of equipment that got sent back.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #11,543 of 12,974
Hi everyone!

I’m considering the Empyrean (used) as I can’t really afford the Elite (which I understand is a pretty significant upgrade).

In my country the empys still costs almost $4100 new, and I’ve found a pair used for $2000 (I’ve already talked the price down from $2300).

These are almost 2 years old with no receipt or warranty.

Is this a fair price considering how expensive they are new still?

My plan is to drive them from the Chord Mojo I already own using a jack-to-minijack adapter as the cable is the wrong type.

Does this sound like a really bad idea (both the mojo and the converter), or will it pair fairly well with the empy?

I’m not really a gear-head and my plan is to keep these basically indefinitely and just use them to relax with good music and not very critical listening.

Appreciate any thoughts you guys and gals have on the topic :)

Cheers,
Trill

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #11,544 of 12,974
It is interesting to see, how much the second-hand Empy prices dropped since the coming of the Elite. Second-hand Empy's pretty much go around £1800 these days (or even less in the USA) which I think is an absolute bargain. Before the Elite the price used to be £2000-2100. For this money I think I might not let my Empy go. On the other hand it is a great time to get a second-hand Empy for someone who has been dreaming of them for years.

After three months with 90% head-time for my D8000 and 10% head-time for the Empyrean the last few days I tend to reach for my Empy more again. While I find the D8000 absolutely comfortable, the Empy's lighter weight is noticeable.

When it comes to the sound, the D8000 is technically better without a question. The bass is cleaner, more impactful, there is better separation and more details. The sound is also a bit more neutral. (And the D8000 is still not the most neutral can, with a warm tilt and strong bass.) The Final is better balanced than the Empy.

Yet, there is something special in the Empy's sound. Even technically it is actually not that far off from other flagships. I guess, it depends on how we look at it, but after all that negativity and online trash talk about the Empy's poor technicalities, I find it is actually unfair and simply untrue. I think, in a way this negative campaign made the Empy an underrated headphone which is reflected in the second-hand prices.

I still hold myself to a previous comment of mine when I said the Empy is technically better than the Arya or the LCD-X with a much higher (flagship) quality tone, timbre and natural, cohesive sound.

The other day I was listening to some Bach piece played on baroque lute. This is generally not my type of music as I mostly listen to alternative electronic styles but there is always a little bit of everything on my plate. Since when I was a teenager, I studied classical guitar and also played the lute for two years, I know how the lute is supposed to sound. It sounded right on the Empy. Natural, full with great texture.
On the D8000 it still sounded wonderful, but it was a bit more 'studio-like'. A bit colder, a bit more precise with better details, but not as lifelike/soulful. (I had similar experiences with some vocals.) The breathing of the lute player was much more audible on the D8000. Once I heard her breathing, I almost lost the flow of music.
Switching back to my Empy the breathing sounds were there as well, just not as pronounced. Which is another proof in an eternal debate; the Empy actually has more details than initially perceived, just do not call your attention as much as other detail focused high-end cans.

Versus the more technical D8000 I also enjoy the Empy's bigger soundstage as it 'lets me breathe in my head'. The Empy is a soft and relaxed sounding headphone. Time to time I wish it had the more precise and more impactful bass of the D8000 or the LCD4, but overall the bass is really not bad. Everything is there, it is just a softer take.
I mostly listen to music in the evenings when I get home from work. Most of the time I actually prefer a soft and relaxed listen (am I getting old? :) ).

Considering all of these I have postponed my decision of which headphone to sell until next year. I might sell the D8K in the end, I might sell the Empy. I might keep both, I might sell both and get the Elite or the LCD5. Luckily I am not in a rush and hopefully I will have a chance to audition both the Elite and Audeze's latest baby as well in the upcoming months.
It's interesting (and a bit sad) how certain conceptions of good quality headphone sound have become so dominant, that if some headphone manufactures bring forward phones contradicting those conceptions (and offering more alternatives to choose from), these headphones meet strong critique and struggle to get wide recognition as high (sound) quality phones

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #11,545 of 12,974
It's interesting (and a bit sad) how certain conceptions of good quality headphone sound have become so dominant, that if some headphone manufactures bring forward phones contradicting those conceptions (and offering more alternatives to choose from), these headphones meet strong critique and struggle to get wide recognition as high (sound) quality phones
I think, the trend will change by time. It is still a relatively young hobby, and we never had this many (8-10) really good TOTL headphones. And this many people who can afford one, two or even more of them.

I think for many new people TOTL means resolution and detail retrieval most of all. It takes time, experience and a more matured taste to value other traits like tonality, timbre higher. (Demand shapes the market.)

Also, it takes time to become experienced and confident enough to find your own taste and stick to it despite the ever changing trends and opinions that come from reviewers or other, seemingly more experienced members on audio forums.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #11,546 of 12,974
Hi everyone!

I’m considering the Empyrean (used) as I can’t really afford the Elite (which I understand is a pretty significant upgrade).

In my country the empys still costs almost $4100 new, and I’ve found a pair used for $2000 (I’ve already talked the price down from $2300).

These are almost 2 years old with no receipt or warranty.

Is this a fair price considering how expensive they are new still?

My plan is to drive them from the Chord Mojo I already own using a jack-to-minijack adapter as the cable is the wrong type.

Does this sound like a really bad idea (both the mojo and the converter), or will it pair fairly well with the empy?

I’m not really a gear-head and my plan is to keep these basically indefinitely and just use them to relax with good music and not very critical listening.

Appreciate any thoughts you guys and gals have on the topic :)

Cheers,
Trill
At $2000 (US?) that is a good price. In the UK that would be just under £1500 and a dealer gave me £1850 not long back when I upgraded to the Elites. The Empy still sell for £2699 new here but I've seen pre-loved ones and ex-demo at £1800-£1900.

I used to use my Empyrean all day at work... supremely comfortable and non fatiguing sound. A good amount of detail with a warmer lower mid tone. They're great headphones and I haven't heard of anyone with driver problems etc. That doesn't mean there hasn't been any but its not a problem like Focal had with the Utopia for example. I would say they're well worth the second hand value.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #11,547 of 12,974
DSC_7098-1.jpg

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #11,549 of 12,974
I wonder if it's worth it to trade or sell my Ether 2 to buy an Empyrean. I've always been intrigued by the Empyrean and the Ether 2. I have the Ether 2 but my heart wants that Empyrean now xD
Imo this is well worth it.
At least from what I read about the Ether 2

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #11,550 of 12,974
We have started the LIRIC tour.

We have reengineered our Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver for closed back application, I am sure this is a very interesting topic to Empyrean users. If you have the time and resource, maybe its a good idea to join the tour and experience the LIRIC alongside your EMPYREAN in your own system, with your own music.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back