Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 29, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #11,521 of 12,974
Someone was asking on the Burson C3XR thread if it is true that the SE output has better stage than the 4 pin XLR. I tried, and found it true, but stayed using the XLR out to get all the circuits burned. The difference was marginal, but recognizable at direct comparision. (I was using the same Forza Noir Hybrid HPC with 4.4 mm ending, with SendyAudio Asura Pigtail Adapter 6.3 and XLR).

So you can stay with the SE with good conscience.
Haven´t tried but I will do. As of today I am using a Black Dragon premium from Moon audio with XLR termination. Burson sounds magnificent but most of the time cannot be over 3 in volume as I clearly prefer high gain over low. I will do the comparison with SE switching cables to the Norne Audio with a high quality 6,3 SE adapter

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #11,522 of 12,974
It is interesting to see, how much the second-hand Empy prices dropped since the coming of the Elite. Second-hand Empy's pretty much go around £1800 these days (or even less in the USA) which I think is an absolute bargain. Before the Elite the price used to be £2000-2100. For this money I think I might not let my Empy go. On the other hand it is a great time to get a second-hand Empy for someone who has been dreaming of them for years.

After three months with 90% head-time for my D8000 and 10% head-time for the Empyrean the last few days I tend to reach for my Empy more again. While I find the D8000 absolutely comfortable, the Empy's lighter weight is noticeable.

When it comes to the sound, the D8000 is technically better without a question. The bass is cleaner, more impactful, there is better separation and more details. The sound is also a bit more neutral. (And the D8000 is still not the most neutral can, with a warm tilt and strong bass.) The Final is better balanced than the Empy.

Yet, there is something special in the Empy's sound. Even technically it is actually not that far off from other flagships. I guess, it depends on how we look at it, but after all that negativity and online trash talk about the Empy's poor technicalities, I find it is actually unfair and simply untrue. I think, in a way this negative campaign made the Empy an underrated headphone which is reflected in the second-hand prices.

I still hold myself to a previous comment of mine when I said the Empy is technically better than the Arya or the LCD-X with a much higher (flagship) quality tone, timbre and natural, cohesive sound.

The other day I was listening to some Bach piece played on baroque lute. This is generally not my type of music as I mostly listen to alternative electronic styles but there is always a little bit of everything on my plate. Since when I was a teenager, I studied classical guitar and also played the lute for two years, I know how the lute is supposed to sound. It sounded right on the Empy. Natural, full with great texture.
On the D8000 it still sounded wonderful, but it was a bit more 'studio-like'. A bit colder, a bit more precise with better details, but not as lifelike/soulful. (I had similar experiences with some vocals.) The breathing of the lute player was much more audible on the D8000. Once I heard her breathing, I almost lost the flow of music.
Switching back to my Empy the breathing sounds were there as well, just not as pronounced. Which is another proof in an eternal debate; the Empy actually has more details than initially perceived, just do not call your attention as much as other detail focused high-end cans.

Versus the more technical D8000 I also enjoy the Empy's bigger soundstage as it 'lets me breathe in my head'. The Empy is a soft and relaxed sounding headphone. Time to time I wish it had the more precise and more impactful bass of the D8000 or the LCD4, but overall the bass is really not bad. Everything is there, it is just a softer take.
I mostly listen to music in the evenings when I get home from work. Most of the time I actually prefer a soft and relaxed listen (am I getting old? :) ).

Considering all of these I have postponed my decision of which headphone to sell until next year. I might sell the D8K in the end, I might sell the Empy. I might keep both, I might sell both and get the Elite or the LCD5. Luckily I am not in a rush and hopefully I will have a chance to audition both the Elite and Audeze's latest baby as well in the upcoming months.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #11,523 of 12,974
@betula seldom do I see such a long comment on HeadFi that I can totally support without any conditions. Just replace d8000 with 1266TC. Empyreans got "this" magical something. Maybe because they don't show or even have so much detail in front of you. I mean, I love detail (I have to, if I bought abyss) but I don't always need it all the time.

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #11,524 of 12,974
@betula seldom do I see such a long comment on HeadFi that I can totally support without any conditions. Just replace d8000 with 1266TC. Empyreans got "this" magical something. Maybe because they don't show or even have so much detail in front of you. I mean, I love detail (I have to, if I bought abyss) but I don't always need it all the time.
I agree. A good detailed headphone is fascinating. But the Empy is like a comfy warm blanket that you can wrap around yourself when you do not care about the most finite details just want some good relaxed music listening.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #11,525 of 12,974
Recently I had the opportunity to listen to a fantastic chain Qobuz-Auralic(Ares?)-Mscaler-TT2-Stellia. It was a horrible experience. If people need such a harsh earpiercing eqipment to enjoy music, I am not surprised they have negative opinion about the Empy. With the Utopia was a bit better, but still not enjoyable.

I could not wait to get home and check the same tracks on the Empy, and be happy with the silky presentation.

Are my ears soooo different? Then all these discussions and argumentation that this is better and that is better is completely meaningless.

I wonder if people can be groupped according to the different hearing/perception, and how many percent are in the group that I would belong to.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #11,526 of 12,974
Recently I had the opportunity to listen to a fantastic chain Qobuz-Auralic(Ares?)-Mscaler-TT2-Stellia. It was a horrible experience. If people need such a harsh earpiercing eqipment to enjoy music, I am not surprised they have negative opinion about the Empy. With the Utopia was a bit better, but still not enjoyable.

I could not wait to get home and check the same tracks on the Empy, and be happy with the silky presentation.

Are my ears soooo different? Then all these discussions and argumentation that this is better and that is better is completely meaningless.

I wonder if people can be groupped according to the different hearing/perception, and how many percent are in the group that I would belong to.
The discussion about what is better is for sure meaningless at this level.

At this level we are talking about personal preference and usage scenarios.

It is a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the LCD4, Empyrean when it comes to bass.

Well, your ears must be somewhat sensitive if you label the Stellia/TT2/MScaler combo as a 'horrible experience'.

I know the Chord gear, but have not tried the Stellia on it. The TT2 in my experience is exceptional.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #11,527 of 12,974
Count me in the 'Dark Side' camp, as opposed to the 'Bright Side.' Or preference for somewhat warm/rich/liquid/fuller low end. I like detail as much as the next audiophile; but not at the expense of ease of listening/immersive musicality. Or ideally gear that just gets out of the way, and doesn't always draw attention to itself. I understand why people might enjoy Focal headphones, but that cup of tea is too thin and metallic-y for me.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #11,528 of 12,974
Hi Miracle1980.

I can now confidently recommend you perhaps give the Feliks-Audio Euforia at least a look.

It is in fact an OTL tube amp, which conventionally haven't been regarded as ideal for driving low impedance planar headphones...until now!

Having been intrigued by how well my own Euforia setup is driving my Empyreans, I contacted Meze themselves for clarification. And I could hardly believe their response (which I'm sure they won't mind me passing on here) :

Surprise, surprise...they did in fact collaborate early on with Feliks-Audio and their Euforia in particular, "soundwise". Hence this often used pairing to showcase their new flagship headphones.

And so I honestly don't think one can ask for better endorsement than that lol! :smile_phones:

ps. I do believe that in the US at least, distributor Upscale Audio even offer no obligation returns if not satisfied (but please check!).

I've just bought Empyreans (actually arrived today!) and have ordered an OTL amp that's due to arrive in a week. It's also a Polish company - called Miltra, the amp is the OTL-8XT.

I hope I've done the right thing and have a similar result that you have with your Euforia! 😬

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #11,529 of 12,974
I've just bought Empyreans (actually arrived today!) and have ordered an OTL amp that's due to arrive in a week. It's also a Polish company - called Miltra, the amp is the OTL-8XT.

I hope I've done the right thing and have a similar result that you have with your Euforia! 😬
Will most likely sound great with the Empyrean

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #11,530 of 12,974
can someone tell me what the maximum input power is of the empyrean?

i am relatively new to this hobby and i was not able to find this information on their page.

i use it with the shanling m8 in on of the 3 gain modes:
  • Low Gain: 71mw@32Ω
  • High Gain:184mW@32Ω
  • Turbo Gain: 840mW@32Ω

i didn't want to damage the empyrean, so i wanted to make sure that it does not get "too much" power?!

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #11,531 of 12,974
can someone tell me what the maximum input power is of the empyrean?

i am relatively new to this hobby and i was not able to find this information on their page.

i use it with the shanling m8 in on of the 3 gain modes:
  • Low Gain: 71mw@32Ω
  • High Gain:184mW@32Ω
  • Turbo Gain: 840mW@32Ω

i didn't want to damage the empyrean, so i wanted to make sure that it does not get "too much" power?!
Your eardrums will tell you when to stop turning up the volume long before you might damage the headphones, regardless of the gain setting.

You’ll just have less headroom on the dial on higher gain.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #11,532 of 12,974
Your eardrums will tell you when to stop turning up the volume long before you might damage the headphones, regardless of the gain setting.

You’ll just have less headroom on the dial on higher gain.
thank you.

ok, good to know. i thought the turbo mode means also that even in volume level 1, the basic power is already super high and the IEM is just not made for such a gain mode at all...

fyi:
shanling m8 and empyrean: high gain = 80-90% for a great level, turbo mode = much, like around 50%

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #11,533 of 12,974
It is interesting to see, how much the second-hand Empy prices dropped since the coming of the Elite. Second-hand Empy's pretty much go around £1800 these days (or even less in the USA) which I think is an absolute bargain. Before the Elite the price used to be £2000-2100. For this money I think I might not let my Empy go. On the other hand it is a great time to get a second-hand Empy for someone who has been dreaming of them for years.

After three months with 90% head-time for my D8000 and 10% head-time for the Empyrean the last few days I tend to reach for my Empy more again. While I find the D8000 absolutely comfortable, the Empy's lighter weight is noticeable.

When it comes to the sound, the D8000 is technically better without a question. The bass is cleaner, more impactful, there is better separation and more details. The sound is also a bit more neutral. (And the D8000 is still not the most neutral can, with a warm tilt and strong bass.) The Final is better balanced than the Empy.

Yet, there is something special in the Empy's sound. Even technically it is actually not that far off from other flagships. I guess, it depends on how we look at it, but after all that negativity and online trash talk about the Empy's poor technicalities, I find it is actually unfair and simply untrue. I think, in a way this negative campaign made the Empy an underrated headphone which is reflected in the second-hand prices.

I still hold myself to a previous comment of mine when I said the Empy is technically better than the Arya or the LCD-X with a much higher (flagship) quality tone, timbre and natural, cohesive sound.

The other day I was listening to some Bach piece played on baroque lute. This is generally not my type of music as I mostly listen to alternative electronic styles but there is always a little bit of everything on my plate. Since when I was a teenager, I studied classical guitar and also played the lute for two years, I know how the lute is supposed to sound. It sounded right on the Empy. Natural, full with great texture.
On the D8000 it still sounded wonderful, but it was a bit more 'studio-like'. A bit colder, a bit more precise with better details, but not as lifelike/soulful. (I had similar experiences with some vocals.) The breathing of the lute player was much more audible on the D8000. Once I heard her breathing, I almost lost the flow of music.
Switching back to my Empy the breathing sounds were there as well, just not as pronounced. Which is another proof in an eternal debate; the Empy actually has more details than initially perceived, just do not call your attention as much as other detail focused high-end cans.

Versus the more technical D8000 I also enjoy the Empy's bigger soundstage as it 'lets me breathe in my head'. The Empy is a soft and relaxed sounding headphone. Time to time I wish it had the more precise and more impactful bass of the D8000 or the LCD4, but overall the bass is really not bad. Everything is there, it is just a softer take.
I mostly listen to music in the evenings when I get home from work. Most of the time I actually prefer a soft and relaxed listen (am I getting old? :) ).

Considering all of these I have postponed my decision of which headphone to sell until next year. I might sell the D8K in the end, I might sell the Empy. I might keep both, I might sell both and get the Elite or the LCD5. Luckily I am not in a rush and hopefully I will have a chance to audition both the Elite and Audeze's latest baby as well in the upcoming months.
Yes - the drop in prices in the second-hand market has induced me to drop my asked-for price for my mint-condition Meze Empyrean down to $2,000 from the original asked-for price of $2,300. I am only selling my Meze Empyrean headphone because I want to purchase the Elite model.

See - https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/meze-empyrean-headphone.15671/

Jeff.

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #11,534 of 12,974
Yes - the drop in prices in the second-hand market has induced me to drop my asked-for price for my mint-condition Meze Empyrean down to $2,000 from the original asked-for price of $2,300. I am only selling my Meze Empyrean headphone because I want to purchase the Elite model.

See - https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/meze-empyrean-headphone.15671/

Jeff.
Just to give you a heads-up, head-fi will delete your post. Apparently it is not allowed to promote personal sales in generic threads.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #11,535 of 12,974
Haha, That's a Rinaro driver model we make to show the switchback and spiral coil pattern of Isodynamic hybrid array driver. I have several small LED light to enhance the display effect, when I put the LED behind the Rinaro driver model, it looks like a Rinaro driver shape lamp.

Empyrean Launch at CanJam NYC.JPG
Is this a Steve Guttenberg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back