Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 14, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #11,566 of 12,974
I had the Empyrean with the silver upgrade cable from Meze and now have the Elites with the same cable. I'm probably not the best to offer a comparison, others will chip in but I found the biggest difference, other than the extra detail and pace is the amount of air, bigger soundstage and crystal clear layering & imaging. The Empyrean give you occasions when you think the sounds are coming from within the room, this seems to happen a lot more with the Elites. They have a very real and engaging sound...love them.

From a mechanical point of view as well, the actual cups don't spin around on the rods anywhere near as much (a positive) and as a result, feel more solid and stable. They do seem to hold position on the rods better as well.
Thanks for the description!

Dec 15, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #11,567 of 12,974
I'm going to LTA this weekend to look at amps to pair with the empyrean. I'm really hoping I like the MZ2 as much as the MZ3 so I can save some money.

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #11,568 of 12,974
I have a Denafrips Ares II.

I'd rather spend the extra for the Schiit Jotunheim 2 if it would be an improvement over the ZEN CAN, but obviously don't want to waste money if there's no discernible difference. I also have another option of buying a used ifi Micro iDSD Black Label for in between the cost of the ZEN CAN and the Jot 2.

I've just bought a Miltra OTL-8XT which will be my main amp. However, I also wanted a solid state amplifier to use as an alternative to the OTL tube amp.

I plan to use the SS amp for electronic dance music, so would want something with maximum punch/slam and a really clean, pure sound.

The tube amp will be for 'real' music - bands, vocals etc.

The Empyrean is my only headphone by the way.

Thanks for your help. 👍
not exactly the same comparison, but I've got the Jot 2 and an ifi zen dac v2. and theres a clear discernable difference between the 2. Jotunheim 2 is leagues better than the zen dac v2. zen dac lacks any bass oomph without hitting the bass boost button, but the bass it adds isnt very transparent. it kind of overshadows the vocals too much for my liking. Jot 2 still has all the oomph in the bass and maintains the clarity of everything else. I love the pairing.

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #11,569 of 12,974
not exactly the same comparison, but I've got the Jot 2 and an ifi zen dac v2. and theres a clear discernable difference between the 2. Jotunheim 2 is leagues better than the zen dac v2. zen dac lacks any bass oomph without hitting the bass boost button, but the bass it adds isnt very transparent. it kind of overshadows the vocals too much for my liking. Jot 2 still has all the oomph in the bass and maintains the clarity of everything else. I love the pairing.

Thanks for sharing. This is what I had expected/feared. I say 'feared' as the Jot 2 is what I really want - but they are simply impossible to obtain in the UK at the moment.

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #11,570 of 12,974
Thanks for sharing. This is what I had expected/feared. I say 'feared' as the Jot 2 is what I really want - but they are simply impossible to obtain in the UK at the moment.
Schiit has been difficult to get here in Australia for quite a while, I've just bought everything direct from them in the US no issues at all. It's definitely worth your while pursuing if you've got the $$ for it, as it is a fantastic amp in general, and really plays well with Empy.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #11,572 of 12,974
@betula, do you think that Meze Elite keep the warmth of the Empyrean, but with better resolution and details? Do you have a possibility to audition the new Elites where you live? Or there is an Elite tour and maybe you can take part of it...

Dec 16, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #11,573 of 12,974
@betula, do you think that Meze Elite keep the warmth of the Empyrean, but with better resolution and details? Do you have a possibility to audition the new Elites where you live? Or there is an Elite tour and maybe you can take part of it...
'do you think that Meze Elite keep the warmth of the Empyrean, but with better resolution and details?'
So far this is what heard from other members who already own the Elite, so my hopes are high.

'Do you have a possibility to audition the new Elites where you live?'
I would have to travel a few hours, so it takes some planning. Perhaps in January/February I can.

'Or there is an Elite tour and maybe you can take part of it...'
I have applied for the Liric tour, fingers crossed. I will apply for the Elite tour as well when the time comes. We shall see.

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #11,574 of 12,974
1639732457053.png

Remember our Rai Penta give away competition with HiFi+ last years? We had a lot of fun last year and we decided to all-in with a more attractive prize. You get a chance to win the ELITE, our new isodynamic hybrid array flagship headphone worth £3,699.

To join the Meze Audio Elite give away competition, please go to our Competition Page and fill in the correct answer in the form. Alternatively, send your answer on a postcard (including your name, address, and contact details) to: ELITE COMPETITION; MEZE AUDIO, Iuliu Maniu str., nr. 38, 1st floor, ap. 2, Baia Mare, 430131, Romania.

The competition will run from December 2nd 2021 until February 3rd 2022. The competition is open to everyone, but multiple, automated or bulk entries will be disqualified. The winner will be chosen at random on Friday, February 4th, from all valid entries, will be contacted via email (where possible) and their name will be published on this here webpage and in HiFi+ magazine. The Editor’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Meze Audio and Absolute Multimedia (UK) Ltd. are compliant with the Data Protection Act and UK laws apply. Our policy is such that we will not pass on your details to any third party without your prior consent.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 17, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #11,575 of 12,974
I have a Denafrips Ares II.

I'd rather spend the extra for the Schiit Jotunheim 2 if it would be an improvement over the ZEN CAN, but obviously don't want to waste money if there's no discernible difference. I also have another option of buying a used ifi Micro iDSD Black Label for in between the cost of the ZEN CAN and the Jot 2.

I've just bought a Miltra OTL-8XT which will be my main amp. However, I also wanted a solid state amplifier to use as an alternative to the OTL tube amp.

I plan to use the SS amp for electronic dance music, so would want something with maximum punch/slam and a really clean, pure sound.

The tube amp will be for 'real' music - bands, vocals etc.

The Empyrean is my only headphone by the way.

Thanks for your help. 👍

The Miltra OTL-8XT is so beautiful.

1639734590057.png

Please share some photo of your Empyrean with OTL-8XT, I beg they look stunning when pair together. Don't forgot to share your Ares II + OTL-8XT + Empyrean impression with us, I am sure a lot of Meze users wanted to find out how R-2R + tube magic works on the Empyrean. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #11,576 of 12,974

Remember our Rai Penta give away competition with HiFi+ last years? We had a lot of fun last year and we decided to all-in with a more attractive prize. You get a chance to win the ELITE, our new isodynamic hybrid array flagship headphone worth £3,699.

To join the Meze Audio Elite give away competition, please go to our Competition Page and fill in the correct answer in the form. Alternatively, send your answer on a postcard (including your name, address, and contact details) to: ELITE COMPETITION; MEZE AUDIO, Iuliu Maniu str., nr. 38, 1st floor, ap. 2, Baia Mare, 430131, Romania.

The competition will run from December 2nd 2021 until February 3rd 2022. The competition is open to everyone, but multiple, automated or bulk entries will be disqualified. The winner will be chosen at random on Friday, February 4th, from all valid entries, will be contacted via email (where possible) and their name will be published on this here webpage and in HiFi+ magazine. The Editor’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Meze Audio and Absolute Multimedia (UK) Ltd. are compliant with the Data Protection Act and UK laws apply. Our policy is such that we will not pass on your details to any third party without your prior consent.
Thank you very much and good luck to everybody. The question is easy :relieved: :beerchug:

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #11,578 of 12,974
I use it with the Hugo 2 and it's a really good pairing because it tames the rather sharp Hugo 2 headphone output and they kind of complement each other's weaknesses. So I imagine Mojo is similar.
Thanks!

I just brought the Empyrean home and have listened to it for a few minutes with the Mojo. Sounds really good so far!

Question: Can you "break"/"blow" the Empys by playing them too loud? Or is the "Isodynamic Hybrid Array" safe in this respect?

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #11,579 of 12,974
Yeah if you plug it into a tube amp, be careful. They're usually super over powered. But probably not off the mojo.

I can get the Hugo2 to make the dynamic driver in the Focal Utopia Clip at top volumes. Never tried it with the Empys tho.

Hugo2 (or at least my Hugo2) has kind of a wonky volume knob where it is easy to go the wrong way on volume quick.

No permanent damage on either.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #11,580 of 12,974
Thanks!

I just brought the Empyrean home and have listened to it for a few minutes with the Mojo. Sounds really good so far!

Question: Can you "break"/"blow" the Empys by playing them too loud? Or is the "Isodynamic Hybrid Array" safe in this respect?
I think your ears will tell you when it's too loud well before damaging the headphone, be careful!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back