Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 16, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #901 of 12,974
I get what you mean but don't entirely agree. If you are spending 3k on a headphone you want to use it with the best amps surely? Most of the top ones are balanced these days one way or another.

Considering how easy it is to change plugs and the fact you choose on delivery it seems a missed opportunity to not have a larger range of options like for example MrSpeakers do with all their headphones. I ordered my Ether Flow with the XLR because I knew that is what works best with my amp. It isn't anywhere near the same effort or cost as including a full set of super car tires, a plug takes what 5-10 minutes to replace? I just would rather not have to modify a brand new cable and void warranty just to make it work with my amp or buy a new cable at increase expense!

I honestly don't think this is being unreasonable and it seems surprising the push back I am getting from this discussion...
Personally, I agree with you.

Apparently headphone manufacturers can't decide how to deal with cables: provide a very basic cable because cables don't really matter or because they assume you'll upgrade; or provide a 'good enough' cable which will work for you, or not, depending on your other equipment; or offer a choice of terminations; or include multiple cables.

For me, at this price level, it ought to be either offer choice, or include multiple cables. Of course I own Utopia, which came with 1 cable that I have never used, and I've spent $$$ buying upgrade cables for it. And I own HEKv2, which came with 3 cables, only 1 of which I've ever used, and I've moved to a Silver Dragon for that set.

Meze seems to have taken the 'offer multiple cables' approach, but they've coupled it with the 'SE amps are as good or better than balanced amps' attitude. Maybe they figure that everyone who buys their cans will already have a nice balanced Audeze upgrade cable.

Or maybe they figure that only a very small number of buyers will be swayed by the inclusion or exclusion of a quality cable which works with their equipment. I mean, are you going to buy a HE-1000SE over they Empyrean because the HEK includes a cable that works with your amp (say 4.4mm TRRS), while the Empyrean doesn't? Probably not. You're probably going to buy the one you think sounds the best.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #906 of 12,974
I get what you mean but don't entirely agree. If you are spending 3k on a headphone you want to use it with the best amps surely? Most of the top ones are balanced these days one way or another.

Considering how easy it is to change plugs and the fact you choose on delivery it seems a missed opportunity to not have a larger range of options like for example MrSpeakers do with all their headphones. I ordered my Ether Flow with the XLR because I knew that is what works best with my amp. It isn't anywhere near the same effort or cost as including a full set of super car tires, a plug takes what 5-10 minutes to replace? I just would rather not have to modify a brand new cable and void warranty just to make it work with my amp or buy a new cable at increase expense!

I honestly don't think this is being unreasonable and it seems surprising the push back I am getting from this discussion...

Have to agree. Antonio please include an option to choose an xlr cable with no extra cost. Thanks !

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #908 of 12,974
Personally, I agree with you.

Apparently headphone manufacturers can't decide how to deal with cables: provide a very basic cable because cables don't really matter or because they assume you'll upgrade; or provide a 'good enough' cable which will work for you, or not, depending on your other equipment; or offer a choice of terminations; or include multiple cables.

For me, at this price level, it ought to be either offer choice, or include multiple cables. Of course I own Utopia, which came with 1 cable that I have never used, and I've spent $$$ buying upgrade cables for it. And I own HEKv2, which came with 3 cables, only 1 of which I've ever used, and I've moved to a Silver Dragon for that set.

Meze seems to have taken the 'offer multiple cables' approach, but they've coupled it with the 'SE amps are as good or better than balanced amps' attitude. Maybe they figure that everyone who buys their cans will already have a nice balanced Audeze upgrade cable.

Or maybe they figure that only a very small number of buyers will be swayed by the inclusion or exclusion of a quality cable which works with their equipment. I mean, are you going to buy a HE-1000SE over they Empyrean because the HEK includes a cable that works with your amp (say 4.4mm TRRS), while the Empyrean doesn't? Probably not. You're probably going to buy the one you think sounds the best.

Or maybe Meze chose the cable options due to the overall cost and price/ratio/performance variables. Don’t forget that these were originally going to cost $3500. All of the release delays were due to streamlining so that they could sell them at a lower/more competitive price point. Personally, I’m very happy that they’re available for under $3000.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #909 of 12,974
Hi, I will just drop some quick facts:

First fact is that you will find most facts on product page on manufacturer's website. :) Don't be shy to visit. The downside is that it is indeed less social than asking fellow head-fi'ers for those info. :p

They are already being sold on Meze Audio website as we speak and shipping just started for the early pre-orders. It will take a while to ship out all the pre-orders. You should soon start seeing them in local stores that usually carry our brand. Also, we are almost out on our first batch. So they might go as soon as they arrive as far as I am told by distributors. But we will build a second batch for December.

Yes, we made a small quantity of high protein super soft PU earpads to replace the lamb leather ones for those who prefer non animal products. Also leather headband comes in non animal leather. This special parts need to be ordered individually on our website trough email. PU earpar sound matches the lamb leather.

They should have them soon in shops in HK as well. We are shipping East as we speak. Maybe ask dealers to notify you as soon as they receive it as I have the feeling that some units might have been pre-booked as people already got the chance to listen to them at HK show in August.

Cables:
In the box you get 1 black cable. Either 3.5mm or 6.3mm You get to choose at checkout.

We also offer as upgrade braided balanced cables: 2.5mm, 4.4mm and 4pinXLR. Curently we ofer braided copper. We will also make braided silver plated copper cables. Check our website under Accessories.

Other types of cables might be available in time.

I need to be more specific about those carbon fiber headbands since I opened Pandora's box with that statement. Those custom carbon fiber headbands are possible. But they will not be easy to make. Nor fast. And definitely not to cheap. As they would have to be made separately from the current tooling/jig/fixture that we use for standard headband. Custom parts in general will not be easily available. It's like you are 2 meters tall and you want a custom Ferrari. I am sure it's possible. But not easily available.

But to be honest. I really don't see why you would need a different headband. See bellow our 3 years old fulltime Empyrean tester.

giphy.gif

Case closed?

Currently Empyrean is only available in Gun Metal color with CNC tool-path texture and black matte grill and it will stay so for a while.

In general with any product, ours or other's, please try to not make assumptions before testing. Especially regarding fit. The geometry of a headband is very hard to figure out by just looking at a picture or someone else's feedback. You really need to try it on. And even that is not enough. You need to try it on for 30minutes minimum. There are many headphones that seems super nice when you try them on just to become annoying after 20-30minutes due to pressure points, heating etc.

Start shipping already? Congratulation, I don't have to tell you how long I have been waiting for this good news, I am confident to say, I have been looking forward to the launch of Empyrean for a very long time, maybe longer then anyone else outside Meze. I'll check with your HK dealer to find out the availability and audition the production version ASAP.

Cables:
In the box you get 1 black cable. Either 3.5mm or 6.3mm You get to choose at checkout.

We also offer as upgrade braided balanced cables: 2.5mm, 4.4mm and 4pinXLR. Curently we ofer braided copper. We will also make braided silver plated copper cables. Check our website under Accessories.

I think this is a very good move, make the basic package simple and competitive, and let the demanding users select their upgrade headphone cable according to their preference. This is flexible and efficient, a very nice move indeed. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #910 of 12,974
Or maybe Meze chose the cable options due to the overall cost and price/ratio/performance variables. Don’t forget that these were originally going to cost $3500. All of the release delays were due to streamlining so that they could sell them at a lower/more competitive price point. Personally, I’m very happy that they’re available for under $3000.
Agreed -- price/cost calculations undoubtedly drive the manufacturers' decisions more than useability arguments. But (as another poster pointed out) the cost to offer a variety of terminations is probably pretty small. I mean you could just make up a bunch of cables with different terminations, ship the customer's choice, and build more of the ones you run out of.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #911 of 12,974
Start shipping already? Congratulation, I don't have to tell you how long I have been waiting for this good news, I am confident to say, I have been looking forward to the launch of Empyrean for a very long time, maybe longer then anyone else outside Meze. I'll check with your HK dealer to find out the availability and audition the production version ASAP.

I think this is a very good move, make the basic package simple and competitive, and let the premium user pick whatever suit them best. This is flexible and efficient, a very nice move indeed. :beerchug:

I just need to get me an N8 for my Empyrean now lol

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #912 of 12,974
Yes that's correct they are mini XLR cables however I am not sure I can be an advocate of changing the cables for Audeze ones. I'm pretty sure that with Antonio Meze' meticulous design he would have chosen the cables for the Empyrean with great care. I wouldn't want to disturb the greatness of the Empyrean from what was designed. Personally speaking of course.

I can confirm the mXLR connectors of Empyrean are Audeze compatible. I have used a Q-cable with Empyrean at some point and it works very well, and standard Q Cable is mXLR terminated for Audeze.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #913 of 12,974
I just need to get me an N8 for my Empyrean now lol

Should I do it again? Include you in my UK tour so that you can check out the N8 with your Empyrean? :k701smile:

Nov 16, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #915 of 12,974
Agreed -- price/cost calculations undoubtedly drive the manufacturers' decisions more than useability arguments. But (as another poster pointed out) the cost to offer a variety of terminations is probably pretty small. I mean you could just make up a bunch of cables with different terminations, ship the customer's choice, and build more of the ones you run out of.

That is my point really, it would not cost hundreds of pounds to offer an XLR cable. The plugs themselves are pretty much the same price as 3.5mm and 6.2mm and they require the same amount of soldering to install...

I am completely fine only getting 1 cable in the box as long as it is the right one for me to actually be able to use the headphones on arrival with my system at maximum potential like I could with a large number of new releases HE1KSE and Ether 2 to name a couple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back