Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 17, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #931 of 12,975
I have to say that I agree with smodtactical. Not asking for an upgraded cable to come with the $3000 price tag. Just a termination of one's request at no real extra cost to Meze.

I believe that balanced makes a difference so if I bought this headphone and wanted to decide if the stock cable was good enough for me or not, I would already need to buy a low end balanced after market cable to 'test' it and then decide from there, the change in materials I would want for the more expensive 'end game' cable. Not sure if I am getting my point across properly but I think it's not a big request if Focal can do it and actually give multiple cables on their HP that is less than half the price of this one (I know, not the same HP but ...)

And I am glad to see that Andy clarified his point. I have a lot of respect for Andy on here because he is always very helpful and understanding of members on here. I think he often goes beyond the call of duty to answer questions are that asked of him and even when not asked directly of him... Anyway, 'hands clapping' for you Andy.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #932 of 12,975
And I am glad to see that Andy clarified his point. I have a lot of respect for Andy on here because he is always very helpful and understanding of members on here. I think he often goes beyond the call of duty to answer questions are that asked of him and even when not asked directly of him...
Couldn't agree more, @Andykong is a credit to Head-Fi.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #933 of 12,975
I opened a can of worms here didn't I lol...

Like I already said and others repeated I am not looking for the balanced premium cable to come as stock or even be an option at delivery. All I was looking for is the stock usual cable with a different termination. Some people seem to be interpreting this as asking for the world which is a bit baffling to me. Even if Meze took the pre made cables and changed the termination in their factory that wouldn't cost more than £20 at absolute max. Neutrik 4pin XLR at retail for a single unit is £5 (and even cheaper in bulk) then £15 for 5 minute of someone's time to change the plug which is pretty damn generous and far above minimum wage.

Regarding the relitive benefits of balanced verses single ended. It is generally down to the specific design of the amp and one isn't intrinsically better than the other. BUT if you amp is specifically designed to run balanced then generally it will sound better, the Mjolnir 2 is a prime example of that as is the Ragnorok.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #934 of 12,975
If you read that statement back slowly you just have to laugh. ‘More affordable’? Respectfully, that’s the reason why these headphones are pushing into megabuck territory.

If you read your statement back slowly it sounds ridiculous. You’re drawing a line in the sand on a $3000 headphone based on whether or not the company adds a $100 stock balanced cable to suit your specific needs.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #935 of 12,975
Hi, I will just drop some quick facts:

First fact is that you will find most facts on product page on manufacturer's website. :) Don't be shy to visit. The downside is that it is indeed less social than asking fellow head-fi'ers for those info. :p

They are already being sold on Meze Audio website as we speak and shipping just started for the early pre-orders. It will take a while to ship out all the pre-orders. You should soon start seeing them in local stores that usually carry our brand. Also, we are almost out on our first batch. So they might go as soon as they arrive as far as I am told by distributors. But we will build a second batch for December.

Yes, we made a small quantity of high protein super soft PU earpads to replace the lamb leather ones for those who prefer non animal products. Also leather headband comes in non animal leather. This special parts need to be ordered individually on our website trough email. PU earpar sound matches the lamb leather.

They should have them soon in shops in HK as well. We are shipping East as we speak. Maybe ask dealers to notify you as soon as they receive it as I have the feeling that some units might have been pre-booked as people already got the chance to listen to them at HK show in August.

Cables:
In the box you get 1 black cable. Either 3.5mm or 6.3mm You get to choose at checkout.

We also offer as upgrade braided balanced cables: 2.5mm, 4.4mm and 4pinXLR. Curently we ofer braided copper. We will also make braided silver plated copper cables. Check our website under Accessories.

Other types of cables might be available in time.

I need to be more specific about those carbon fiber headbands since I opened Pandora's box with that statement. Those custom carbon fiber headbands are possible. But they will not be easy to make. Nor fast. And definitely not to cheap. As they would have to be made separately from the current tooling/jig/fixture that we use for standard headband. Custom parts in general will not be easily available. It's like you are 2 meters tall and you want a custom Ferrari. I am sure it's possible. But not easily available.

But to be honest. I really don't see why you would need a different headband. See bellow our 3 years old fulltime Empyrean tester.

giphy.gif

Case closed?

Currently Empyrean is only available in Gun Metal color with CNC tool-path texture and black matte grill and it will stay so for a while.

In general with any product, ours or other's, please try to not make assumptions before testing. Especially regarding fit. The geometry of a headband is very hard to figure out by just looking at a picture or someone else's feedback. You really need to try it on. And even that is not enough. You need to try it on for 30minutes minimum. There are many headphones that seems super nice when you try them on just to become annoying after 20-30minutes due to pressure points, heating etc.

that 3 year old test :) totally removed my clamping force and fit concern :)

thanks so much

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #936 of 12,975
If you read your statement back slowly it sounds ridiculous. You’re drawing a line in the sand on a $3000 headphone based on whether or not the company adds a $100 stock balanced cable to suit your specific needs.
Not at all - I was just laughing at the concept of a $3000 headphone being considered affordable, regardless of what cables it comes with.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #937 of 12,975
Not at all - I was just laughing at the concept of a $3000 headphone being considered affordable, regardless of what cables it comes with.

That’s true. They’re very expensive. But I meant comparatively affordable. When it comes to other Flagships, Meze was under no obligation to delay their release and streamline their production model to stay under a $3000 price point.

If you listened to Antonio’s mission statement for creating these, he clearly states that they’re trying to create the best product possible where price is NOT a limiting factor. He says these are more like an artistic statement piece. So if we take him at his word, then that’s very different than Fang just throwing out new Flavor of the Month models every 3 months with marginal sound improvements and the same garbage build quality.

But in spite of those lofty goals, they still managed to give us a nice and functional carrying case, two sets of earpads (that are magnetically attached, not glue or adhesive), a choice of 2 cables, all the while being built comfortably, solidly, beautifully, lightweight, and still for less than $3000.

The Focal Utopia costs way more and only comes with one cable that is 50 feet long.

And these are not HE6, Susvara, or LCD 4 specs. These are 32 ohms and 100db of sensitivity. They can easily be driven single-ended from just about anything. But if you want a balanced cable, there are tons of aftermarket options. There is no need for them to include more options that will more than likely just raise their base price.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #938 of 12,975
Is not affordable by any means, but if you look at the competition, the Empyrean is truly a flagship headphone, not only from the sound point of view, materials used, but original design, comfort etc.
This is how I see it. And they could have charged more, but they didn't. Also is worth to take a look at the measurements graphics if this is what you want.
For me is all I wanted in a headphone when I last tried it.
Again this is " in my opinion ".

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #939 of 12,975
Is not affordable by any means, but if you look at the competition, the Empyrean is truly a flagship headphone, not only from the sound point of view, materials used, but original design, comfort etc.
This is how I see it. And they could have charged more, but they didn't. Also is worth to take a look at the measurements graphics if this is what you want.
For me is all I wanted in a headphone when I last tried it.
Again this is " in my opinion ".

I agree.

I’ve been waiting for a true flagship for a long time. Something that is built well, comfortable, sounds great, is not compromised in any area and doesn’t need to be equalized. These are the first that ticks all of the boxes for me.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #940 of 12,975
that 3 year old test :) totally removed my clamping force and fit concern :)
What about the concern of child labor in Romania?! :astonished:

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #941 of 12,975
I've got a tiny head so I'm glad that gorgeous little boy with the Empyrean headphones moved his head forward they didn't fall off.Ppl in here think I'm big headed but when they see my pic I'm something out of beetle juice

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #942 of 12,975

Man this is not hard to understand. This is not a $100 cable. It is the EXACT same cable he is including just with XLR Termination. This might cost $5 more if that. Please realise what we are saying and stop rehashing the same thing over and over.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #943 of 12,975
I agree.

I’ve been waiting for a true flagship for a long time. Something that is built well, comfortable, sounds great, is not compromised in any area and doesn’t need to be equalized. These are the first that ticks all of the boxes for me.

As I said before, I think its a bit too early to compare it to flagships like lcd4, abyss phi and susvara. We need more reviews before we can say confidently its in the same league.

I hope it is.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #945 of 12,975
Man this is not hard to understand. This is not a $100 cable. It is the EXACT same cable he is including just with XLR Termination. This might cost $5 more if that. Please realise what we are saying and stop rehashing the same thing over and over.

You need to realize what others are saying about adding more cost to the bottom line. You are not the merchant, it’s not your business, and it’s not your risk to mass produce another cable option to appease a tiny minority that wants a balanced cable, especially for a very easy to drive headphone that doesn’t even need a balanced connection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back