Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #8,732 of 13,029
I bought a pair of Empyrean about 8 months ago now when I started getting back into the headphone space. They are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned and the build quality is superb. I went with the copper color and they are truly stunning.

I've found myself using them the most lately in my office rig as their more relaxed presentation paired with their comfort makes them perfect for all-day listening.

I'm also a big fan of how Meze has built these with repairability in mind, something all companies that make consumer products should take note of.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #8,733 of 13,029
I bought a pair of Empyrean about 8 months ago now when I started getting back into the headphone space. They are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned and the build quality is superb. I went with the copper color and they are truly stunning.

I've found myself using them the most lately in my office rig as their more relaxed presentation paired with their comfort makes them perfect for all-day listening.

I'm also a big fan of how Meze has built these with repairability in mind, something all companies that make consumer products should take note of.
Especially pad switching is solved geniously

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #8,734 of 13,029
Especially pad switching is solved geniously
Very true, I have just switched from Audeze LCD 3 to Empy's. I was contemplating changing pads in Audeze once I had them and was looking for some films on YouTube how to do it. Finally came to conclusion that I was not able to do it myself.

With Meze I changed pads twice yesterday:)

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #8,735 of 13,029
Very true, I have just switched from Audeze LCD 3 to Empy's. I was contemplating changing pads in Audeze once I had them and was looking for some films on YouTube how to do it. Finally came to conclusion that I was not able to do it myself.

With Meze I changed pads twice yesterday:)
How do you find the bass impact and slam of the Empys vs the LCD 3? I have no idea how similar the bass is across the Audeze range but have heard that Audeze in general is considered to have very good and impactful bass. I have a pair of Audeze LCD-XC at the moment and the only thing that is worrying me slightly about how I might find the Empys compared to what I have now is how much bass slam I might lose. If I go ahead I would be driving the Empys from a Chord Hugo 2 vs the LCD-XCs from a Chord Poly so I'm hoping that the extra power of the Hugo 2 headphone amp vs the one in the Poly might to some extent offset any loss of slam I might get from the headphones themselves but maybe that's not really valid. It's such a pain not being able to go into a retailer to listen to stuff in the UK at the moment.

Thanks to both @Slim1970 and @PrTv who both gave me some input on that already with respect to LCD-XC and LCD-X comparisons but the more data points the better against Audeze bass in general.

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #8,736 of 13,029
How do you find the bass impact and slam of the Empys vs the LCD 3? I have no idea how similar the bass is across the Audeze range but have heard that Audeze in general is considered to have very good and impactful bass. I have a pair of Audeze LCD-XC at the moment and the only thing that is worrying me slightly about how I might find the Empys compared to what I have now is how much bass slam I might lose. If I go ahead I would be driving the Empys from a Chord Hugo 2 vs the LCD-XCs from a Chord Poly so I'm hoping that the extra power of the Hugo 2 headphone amp vs the one in the Poly might to some extent offset any loss of slam I might get from the headphones themselves but maybe that's not really valid. It's such a pain not being able to go into a retailer to listen to stuff in the UK at the moment.

Thanks to both @Slim1970 and @PrTv who both gave me some input on that already with respect to LCD-XC and LCD-X comparisons but the more data points the better against Audeze bass in general.
I have never heard lcd - xc so can not tell. Audeze may also differ between units - I used to have lcd 3 f (2016). The bass was awesome, the best I have ever heard, went down to unbeliaveble level and was controlled, not muddy. Meze are tricky. I used them with burson cv2+ and the bass was a bit muddy and not really very deep. I have bought Ayon ha 3 recently and it changed everything. Like completly different HP's. Meze's bass is now tight and goes really deep. Not to the level of lcd 3f I suppose (not have lcd 3 to compare one to one), but really close and impressive.You almost feel it phisically.

Chord hugo may be a good choice for Meze if You like to take Meze to the brighter side, though never tried. I tried Hugo 1 with lcd 3f and the bass was too strong for me.

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #8,737 of 13,029
I have never heard lcd - xc so can not tell. Audeze may also differ between units - I used to have lcd 3 f (2016). The bass was awesome, the best I have ever heard, went down to unbeliaveble level and was controlled, not muddy. Meze are tricky. I used them with burson cv2+ and the bass was a bit muddy and not really very deep. I have bought Ayon ha 3 recently and it changed everything. Like completly different HP's. Meze's bass is now tight and goes really deep. Not to the level of lcd 3f I suppose (not have lcd 3 to compare one to one), but really close and impressive.You almost feel it phisically.

Chord hugo may be a good choice for Meze if You like to take Meze to the brighter side, though never tried. I tried Hugo 1 with lcd 3f and the bass was too strong for me.
Thanks. And again thanks also to @Slim1970 and @PrTv for their input. I just pressed the button on this setup since I found a UK retailer that had all 3 components (Hugo2, 2Go & Empys) in stock in the colours I wanted. I had heard from a friend in the UK who just got himself a Mojo that there are supply issues with Chord Electronics at the moment, Chord aren't giving retailers any delivery dates for new stock because they are having issues getting certain components at the moment. My friend had to call round quite a few UK dealers getting the same story every time, no stock and no dates available from when they would get new stock, until he finally found a dealer that had a trade-in unit. I thought I'd better hit the buy button now before anything goes out of stock. It's also rather nice that, by sheer coincidence, the dealer I am buying from is the dealer where I bought my first "proper" hi fi system from in 1981 so a bit of nostalgia thrown in for good measure too.

I just hope the Hugo isn't too bright for me but at least since I already own a Mojo and like that I can always see how I feel about the Empys with the Poly if the Hugo 2 is a bit too bright. I will find out soon enough now.

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #8,738 of 13,029
just hope the Hugo isn't too bright for me but at least since I already own a Mojo and like that I can always see how I feel about the Empys with the Poly if the Hugo 2 is a bit too bright. I will find out soon enough now.
Would be interesting to know, pls also share some photos. I am treble sensitive but empys and chord could be an interesting combo generally. For myself trying to find a more musical combo with both tube amp and tube dac.

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #8,739 of 13,029
Thanks. And again thanks also to @Slim1970 and @PrTv for their input. I just pressed the button on this setup since I found a UK retailer that had all 3 components (Hugo2, 2Go & Empys) in stock in the colours I wanted. I had heard from a friend in the UK who just got himself a Mojo that there are supply issues with Chord Electronics at the moment, Chord aren't giving retailers any delivery dates for new stock because they are having issues getting certain components at the moment. My friend had to call round quite a few UK dealers getting the same story every time, no stock and no dates available from when they would get new stock, until he finally found a dealer that had a trade-in unit. I thought I'd better hit the buy button now before anything goes out of stock. It's also rather nice that, by sheer coincidence, the dealer I am buying from is the dealer where I bought my first "proper" hi fi system from in 1981 so a bit of nostalgia thrown in for good measure too.

I just hope the Hugo isn't too bright for me but at least since I already own a Mojo and like that I can always see how I feel about the Empys with the Poly if the Hugo 2 is a bit too bright. I will find out soon enough now.
The Hugo 2 is one of the best DAC/AMP's I've heard with the Empyrean's. The sound is detailed, the midrange gains clarity, and the treble gets cleaned up. I think you'll be happy with the pairing honestly.

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #8,741 of 13,029
Is treble not too bright?
I wouldn't recommend chord to treble sensitive people.
If you're treble sensitive look into something like a Holo Spring 2 or May depending on Budget.

I consider myself treble sensitive, and I use a Rockna Wavelight paired with a tube amp and get amazing Results.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #8,744 of 13,029
I wouldn't recommend chord to treble sensitive people.
If you're treble sensitive look into something like a Holo Spring 2 or May depending on Budget.

I consider myself treble sensitive, and I use a Rockna Wavelight paired with a tube amp and get amazing Results.
Thanks, frankly never heard about this gear, will google it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back