Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 12, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #8,761 of 13,002
Comfort is my only disappointment at this point, surprisingly given that’s one thing that most reviews rave about.

I've found Empys super-comfy, but it's understandable that some clamping force has to apply. I have no specific fix for your situation, but maybe gently bending the uppermost piece a bit would help.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 12, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #8,762 of 13,002
My Empys plus Chord Hugo 2 arrived today. My previous/other setup was/is Audeze LCD-XC driven from a Chord Mojo. The source for both is streaming from Roon to Chord 2Go/Poly respectively with source files either from my ripped-to-FLAC CDs or from Qobuz.

I’ve done less than an hour of listening so far so way too early for any firm conclusions but things that immediately strike me are...

1 - I was worried about taking a step down in terms of bass impact and slam vs my Audeze. I don’t think that’s a problem. Maybe there’s the teeny tiniest bit less slam but the Empys go deeper and overall the bass still feels totally present, impactful and nimble/articulate/bouncy to me.

2 - I was also worried that the Hugo might be too bright. On initial impressions that was a closer call, it’s a bit marginal but I think some of my first listens, old 1980s stuff, might have been quite bright. I’m listening to Spoon at the moment on filter 1 (the brightest I believe) and it’s fine.

3 - Comfort is my only disappointment at this point, surprisingly given that’s one thing that most reviews rave about. Maybe I’ll adjust but I actually find my 700 gram LCD-XC more comfortable. My problem is that as a 5’8” 135lb guy (i.e. quite small and slim) I find the clamping force on the Empys too weak so they feel less secure on my head than my Audeze which is a disappointment.

On balance there are more positives than negatives but the lack of clamping force (for me) is a shame. Maybe I can superglue a bit of velcro to the top of my head to make them more secure (I have a conveniently positioned bald patch where it can be attached) but should I glue the fluffy strip to my head and the bit with the hooks to the headphone band or is it better to do it the other way round - or will that not make any difference to the sound quality?
That with the Size is a real shame. I wonder why many manufacturers don't cater the Size also to with small heads.

I have to use every headphone on the smallest Settings.
This makes the Empyrean fit perfectly for me, but the T+A Solitaire P for example is a close call that could use some more Clamping force.

Maybe contact Meze if they can help you in some way

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #8,763 of 13,002
My Empys plus Chord Hugo 2 arrived today. My previous/other setup was/is Audeze LCD-XC driven from a Chord Mojo. The source for both is streaming from Roon to Chord 2Go/Poly respectively with source files either from my ripped-to-FLAC CDs or from Qobuz.

I’ve done less than an hour of listening so far so way too early for any firm conclusions but things that immediately strike me are...

1 - I was worried about taking a step down in terms of bass impact and slam vs my Audeze. I don’t think that’s a problem. Maybe there’s the teeny tiniest bit less slam but the Empys go deeper and overall the bass still feels totally present, impactful and nimble/articulate/bouncy to me.

2 - I was also worried that the Hugo might be too bright. On initial impressions that was a closer call, it’s a bit marginal but I think some of my first listens, old 1980s stuff, might have been quite bright. I’m listening to Spoon at the moment on filter 1 (the brightest I believe) and it’s fine.

3 - Comfort is my only disappointment at this point, surprisingly given that’s one thing that most reviews rave about. Maybe I’ll adjust but I actually find my 700 gram LCD-XC more comfortable. My problem is that as a 5’8” 135lb guy (i.e. quite small and slim) I find the clamping force on the Empys too weak so they feel less secure on my head than my Audeze which is a disappointment.

On balance there are more positives than negatives but the lack of clamping force (for me) is a shame. Maybe I can superglue a bit of velcro to the top of my head to make them more secure (I have a conveniently positioned bald patch where it can be attached) but should I glue the fluffy strip to my head and the bit with the hooks to the headphone band or is it better to do it the other way round - or will that not make any difference to the sound quality?
Very curious about a comparison Hugo2/Mojo with the Empy. :)

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #8,764 of 13,002
Very curious about a comparison Hugo2/Mojo with the Empy. :)
It is something I intend to do. I’m having too much fun listening to my new Empy/Hugo2 setup at the moment, I have grown more impressed and found more positives since my previous post e.g. way better midrange “bounce” than my LCD-XC (yes, I’m a bouncy kinda guy; I just love punchy rhythmic stuff and stuff that I found missed a bit of impact on my old setup, e.g. Future Islands “Singles”, sounds way more ”alive” on my new setup). I will get to an Empy driven by Hugo2 or Mojo comparison but unfortunately it will require a soldering iron. The Mojo only has 3.5mm outputs and all my cables are 6.35mm so I use a 6.35->3.25 adapter on the Mojo and that has developed a dodgy connection on one channel that involves wiggling the cable to get it to work until I move it when it invariably cuts out again (grrrr). It might be a day or two before I get round to trying to fix it.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #8,765 of 13,002
It is something I intend to do. I’m having too much fun listening to my new Empy/Hugo2 setup at the moment, I have grown more impressed and found more positives since my previous post e.g. way better midrange “bounce” than my LCD-XC (yes, I’m a bouncy kinda guy; I just love punchy rhythmic stuff and stuff that I found missed a bit of impact on my old setup, e.g. Future Islands “Singles”, sounds way more ”alive” on my new setup). I will get to an Empy driven by Hugo2 or Poly comparison but unfortunately it will require a soldering iron. The Mojo only has 3.5mm outputs and all my cables are 6.35mm so I use a 6.35->3.25 adapter on the Mojo and that has developed a dodgy connection on one channel that involves wiggling the cable to get it to work until I move it when it invariably cuts out again (grrrr). It might be a day or two before I get round to trying to fix it.
No hurry. :)
Enjoy your new toy.

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #8,766 of 13,002
Not sure if anyone have tried Empy's with Woo WA 6se. Very smooth enjoyable sounding:)
20210213_234938.jpg

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #8,767 of 13,002
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #8,768 of 13,002
The Hugo 2 is one of the best DAC/AMP's I've heard with the Empyrean's. The sound is detailed, the midrange gains clarity, and the treble gets cleaned up. I think you'll be happy with the pairing honestly.
Well, I think that I‘m now in a position to judge your input and award you a mark (says a total amateur with nothing like the exposure to high end stuff that you have). Anyway, for what it’s worth you nailed it. 10 out of 10. I totally love this combo (except for maybe the low clamping force of the Empys on my small head making the fit feel slightly insecure). You gave good advice about maybe keeping my Audeze LCD-XC as a complimentary experience. Well I do need to experiment with that a bit more to see if closed back might be way better when I’m sitting on my balcony but right now in my noise free living room I think the Empy does all that I need. Just magnificent!

Edit: And I should of course have thanked you again for 100% spot-on input.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #8,769 of 13,002
Well, I think that I‘m now in a position to judge your input and award you a mark (says a total amateur with nothing like the exposure to high end stuff that you have). Anyway, for what it’s worth you nailed it. 10 out of 10. I totally love this combo (except for maybe the low clamping force of the Empys on my small head making the fit feel slightly insecure). You gave good advice about maybe keeping my Audeze LCD-XC as a complimentary experience. Well I do need to experiment with that a bit more to see if closed back might be way better when I’m sitting on my balcony but right now in my noise free living room I think the Empy does all that I need. Just magnificent!

Edit: And I should of course have thanked you again for 100% spot-on input.
No problem, we're all here to enjoy a great listening experience. The Empyrean's paired with a Hugo 2 is one of best combo's I've heard. They really complement each other very well.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #8,770 of 13,002
Bought a pair recently, very happy with the sound but noticed a fairly significant lack of symmetry on the headband, not sure if its faulty/bent or if not attached properly. The leather band itself leans heavily to one side and is clearly pointing away from centre. The carbon supports at the top again are totally non-symmetrical meaning the pressure of weight feels like its on the side not centre of my head. Basically unusable in how uncomfortable it is currently.

Did anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to fix this simply through adjustments? I assume I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer. If it off by a small amount maybe it wouldn't be such a problem but you can see in one of the straight angle photos how off the symmetry of the band is.

https://imgur.com/a/6mIycQ9

Sorry for the imgur but maybe my forum privileges don't let me post actual images yet.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #8,772 of 13,002
Give it some time to settle down.
Guess the comfort level will improve further. :)

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #8,773 of 13,002
Give it some time to settle down.
Guess the comfort level will improve further. :)

My thought process is that if the top band is bent its unlikely to bend its way back into shape. It just looks totally amateurishly put together right now, if it were a $1000 headphone I'd feel differently but atm like I said its borderline unusable because of the way the pressure is way off centre.

Does anyone else have any straight angle shots of how it looks on their head? I just can't believe the symmetry is meant to be this poor or likely to improve. Fairly sure the demo model I tried in the shop had no issues like this too.

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #8,774 of 13,002
Bought a pair recently, very happy with the sound but noticed a fairly significant lack of symmetry on the headband, not sure if its faulty/bent or if not attached properly. The leather band itself leans heavily to one side and is clearly pointing away from centre. The carbon supports at the top again are totally non-symmetrical meaning the pressure of weight feels like its on the side not centre of my head. Basically unusable in how uncomfortable it is currently.

Did anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to fix this simply through adjustments? I assume I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer. If it off by a small amount maybe it wouldn't be such a problem but you can see in one of the straight angle photos how off the symmetry of the band is.

https://imgur.com/a/6mIycQ9

Sorry for the imgur but maybe my forum privileges don't let me post actual images yet.
I'd contact Meze Support.
The headband looks clearly out of shape.

You should get it replaced, with the way it is intended the Empyrean is the most comfortable headphone on earth.
Seriously to the point where it's hard to try on anything else.

I recently bought a Solitaire P and even though they are also comfortable I was immediately reminded of how exceptional the Empyreans comfort is

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #8,775 of 13,002
My thought process is that if the top band is bent its unlikely to bend its way back into shape. It just looks totally amateurishly put together right now, if it were a $1000 headphone I'd feel differently but atm like I said its borderline unusable because of the way the pressure is way off centre.

Does anyone else have any straight angle shots of how it looks on their head? I just can't believe the symmetry is meant to be this poor or likely to improve. Fairly sure the demo model I tried in the shop had no issues like this too.
Apologies.
I've missed the last picture, which made it more clearly. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back