Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 13, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #8,041 of 13,006
I am hoping to order a pair of Empyrean’s in the coming months and have read and watched many reviews expounding the performance pairing with silver cables. Of course, I want to make the right choice of cables to get the best out of the Empyrean’s.
I am being serious here and looking for guidance: What precisely, does the silver cable do to the signal that increases the clarity? I assume the silver cables can attenuate certain frequencies, since they have resistance and inductance; is it by reducing the response of some frequencies that it improves clarity? Or is it by some other effect of the metal? Before I invest in silver I’d like to have some idea how it works.

There's a well-written article about capacitance of wires and its influence to the perceived sound.

Maybe this could shed some light to the "darkness". :)

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Take a look at the part: amplifier stability and performance. :wink:

Have a great day and keep listening.

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #8,043 of 13,006
Thanks for sharing the source for silver plated hookup wire, braiding a good HP cable is a project I have been considering.
FYI, silver oxidizes faster than copper, silver corrosion however remains conductive unlike the copper counterpart. The real trouble is the galvanic corrosion that occurs when two dissimilar metals are in contact, like silver plated copper (“red plague” corrosion), as long as a good insulator surrounds the plated wire and keeps out oxygen and moisture there is typically a net benefit, it is at the connectors, particularly crimped ones, where corrosion becomes a problem.
Thank you correcting me. My bad. Of course oxidation happens to silver too. I have been using that hook up wire with budget headphones like Takstar HF580. Quality is good I did not see any problems. A bit stiff but flexible enough and I made braided cable.

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #8,044 of 13,006
What’s the reason you need to take breaks from stuff because it gets boring. I put the Empyrean on and RAD-0 and they didn’t sound good anymore. I was wondering if my tube amp is at fault. Had to switch to another tube amp and use my VC. It just worries me when my Empyrean loose excitement factor.

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #8,045 of 13,006
What’s the reason you need to take breaks from stuff because it gets boring. I put the Empyrean on and RAD-0 and they didn’t sound good anymore. I was wondering if my tube amp is at fault. Had to switch to another tube amp and use my VC. It just worries me when my Empyrean loose excitement factor.
How long did you have them?

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #8,046 of 13,006
I just got them

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #8,047 of 13,006
I just got them
Did you double check the amp with other cans?
Otherwise I wouldn't think that the Empyrean Lose their excitement if you just got them

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #8,048 of 13,006
Yeah same experience with RAD-0. Maybe ups and downs with tube burn in.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #8,049 of 13,006
How does the Empyrean pair with RME ADI 2 DAC FS as both the dac and amp? I feel like there should be sufficient power there given that the Empyreans aren't too hard to drive. But I'm curious of people's experience with this.

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #8,050 of 13,006
was
How does the Empyrean pair with RME ADI 2 DAC FS as both the dac and amp? I feel like there should be sufficient power there given that the Empyreans aren't too hard to drive. But I'm curious of people's experience with this.

The headphone amp on the RME has more than sufficient power to drive the Empyrean to its full potential. I find the difference between it with RME amp vs. Phonitor X, GSX Mini to be quite minimal, and prefer RME slightly to Topping A90. Bass is a little punchier with the big amps, but the difference is not huge. I need the bigger amps for my other headphones, but not for Empyrean.

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #8,051 of 13,006
Hi, I bought the Empyreans second hand, and I was warned it had less detail than say the Stax L700, others answered: you must hear it with a silver cable please. So before I received the cans with stock cable I ordered the Lavricables Grand Litz. I listened to the stock cable some days before the Grand was in the mail. With the stock cable I used the leather pads as they are called more analytical, but with the silver cable I use the velvet pads, since it doesn’t lack any detail, and why choose analytical when you can have sheer beauty? I was warned the Grand is like an Audeze Lcd-4: too heavy, but that is the photo, it is not too heavy. So I will be still a bit careful with delicate silver. My Stax L700 cable has a lot of silver in it. High end music listening seems not possible without the benefits of silver. Thanks Yoram

Attachments

• IMG-0322.jpg
    IMG-0322.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #8,052 of 13,006
Sold my Empyrean a couple weeks ago (had a case of upgrade-itis) for a Focal Clear & Radiance. I'm still waiting for the Radiance to show up after the pre-order ends and the Clear arrived yesterday.

I absolutely love the Clear and think that in a lot of ways it outperforms the Empyrean, with the exception of bass and warmth. Man do I ever miss the bass response and smoothness of the mids. I'm not second guessing my decision but I now realize why so many people in the Empyrean thread have multiple cans for certain genres.

I'll be adding the Empyrean back on my list of sets to get back.

Anyone know of any others that have a similar bass response of the Empyrean?

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #8,053 of 13,006
Sold my Empyrean a couple weeks ago (had a case of upgrade-itis) for a Focal Clear & Radiance. I'm still waiting for the Radiance to show up after the pre-order ends and the Clear arrived yesterday.

I absolutely love the Clear and think that in a lot of ways it outperforms the Empyrean, with the exception of bass and warmth. Man do I ever miss the bass response and smoothness of the mids. I'm not second guessing my decision but I now realize why so many people in the Empyrean thread have multiple cans for certain genres.

Wow selling the Empyrean for a clear, this sounds like the worst life decision ever.

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #8,054 of 13,006

I listened to the Clear and Empyrean back to back today and don't know what you are on about. The Clears perform leagues worse in all aspects and lack a lot of detail and smoothness in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back