Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 14, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #8,071 of 13,029
Hi everyone, I'm using my Emphyrean with stock xlr cable driven by balanced amp, happy with them but not quite long enough, is there a recommended maximum xlr cable length? Adding 2M on top of the will be enough for me. Please advise. Thanks.

Nov 15, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #8,073 of 13,029
Indeed.
And what you'll get for your money is worth every cent. :)
Also customer service is top notch, ime.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #8,076 of 13,029
Can anyone give an opinion/impression about sound leakage of the Empyreans?
I read many different impressions and reviews, with very different statements on sound leakage.
My reference: The Clears(sold) were very leaky, the Quad ERA-1(own) are fine in my personal perception.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #8,077 of 13,029
Can anyone give an opinion/impression about sound leakage of the Empyreans?
I read many different impressions and reviews, with very different statements on sound leakage.
My reference: The Clears(sold) were very leaky, the Quad ERA-1(own) are fine in my personal perception.
I can only say it's less than Arya or Edition X v2.
Don't have many more reference points

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #8,078 of 13,029
I have both and Empyrean is more intense you do get sounds coming from far away but it's most notable on the 1266 TC. Separation is better on the 1266 TC, when the music takes off you notice that the 1266 really pulls ahead to me the Empyrean is the rollercoaster ride but don't get tired of it as I like roller coaster. The bass is different you get more pronounced subwoofer like sound out of the 1266 TC and Empyrean is there but more seen in the upper bass range. More lush mids on Empyrean. I like the treble more on 1266. If buying a 1266 doesn't mean getting the cheapest amp and think you are going to be at the level I'm at. looking at amps in $1800 and up. Good pairing in the lower range is the gsx-mini.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #8,079 of 13,029
Can anyone plz help me?

I am trying to decide on my next headphone purchase. I currently own a few hp that i really love. My favorite currently is my ZMF VC Camphor Burl. Its quite the experience while listening with my Feliks Elise. I also enjoy my Auteur and Arya with my GSX-Mini. I am looking for another high end headphone that will be a compliment to my current collection. However, im having trouble deciding between Empyrean, He1000se and the Diana V2.

I enjoy vocals and mids and a little punchy (not boomy/bloated) low end. I am mostly leaning towards the Empyrean because of the looks alone. He1000se is my last of the pick since i already own the arya. I have no idea what the Diana v2 sound like. So i need your help deciding between the 3. Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #8,080 of 13,029
Hi everyone, I'm using my Emphyrean with stock xlr cable driven by balanced amp, happy with them but not quite long enough, is there a recommended maximum xlr cable length? Adding 2M on top of the will be enough for me. Please advise. Thanks.
I'm with a simple extention cable made by a german audio store.
It works quite well with my 10 feet FAW Noir Hybrid without any loss.

Btw.
This 10 feet xlr extention cable was close to 50 €. :hear_no_evil:

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #8,081 of 13,029
Can anyone plz help me?

I am trying to decide on my next headphone purchase. I currently own a few hp that i really love. My favorite currently is my ZMF VC Camphor Burl. Its quite the experience while listening with my Feliks Elise. I also enjoy my Auteur and Arya with my GSX-Mini. I am looking for another high end headphone that will be a compliment to my current collection. However, im having trouble deciding between Empyrean, He1000se and the Diana V2.

I enjoy vocals and mids and a little punchy (not boomy/bloated) low end. I am mostly leaning towards the Empyrean because of the looks alone. He1000se is my last of the pick since i already own the arya. I have no idea what the Diana v2 sound like. So i need your help deciding between the 3. Any help would be appreciated.

Arya will have some similarities to HE1000 SE, logical move is sell Arya and upgrade to SE.

Empyrean would sound almost the opposite of Auteur, that could be a good start.

Diana V2 will have more intimate vocal like Arya, but with smoother (much more effortless as well) on midrange to treble area. It retains neutral with slight warmness, that make it a bit similar to Auteur, but Diana doing it in planar way, cleaner, blacker background, and simply faster response. Also Diana V2 would sound smoother in mid to treble area compare to Auteur too.

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #8,082 of 13,029
In terms of sound signature, the 1266 has more presence in the upper mids - treble, a bit less warmth in the lower mids, bass quantity/extension is very similar. It has a bigger soundstage that appears more spherical in shape, feels like it's more surrounding compared to the Empyrean's more up-front soundstage layout. It has stronger dynamic slam/impact (macro-dynamics), and generally just a much greater sense of resolution down to nano-scale levels of detail. So yeah, in terms of sound quality, it's categorically better than the Empyrean no doubt.

But does that mean that you'll prefer the sound of the 1266 over the Empyrean? Not necessarily. Although fit/comfort with the 1266 is already enough reason for me to favor the Empyrean over the 1266, the sound is also not ideal for extensive multi-purpose usage. Yes, it's extremely resolving, it has a very intense and powerful sound, it's an absolute blast to listen to, like a rollercoaster ride. And this is why I prefer the sound of the Empyrean, because I don't want to ride a rollercoaster for 6+ hours a day. They are intense, and that extreme resolution and intensity resulted in feeling a sense of sensory overstimulation. Not physical listening fatigue, but my brain getting fatigued. The level of resolution it portrays is also something I don't really want to be exposed to with all of the music I listen to.

If I could justify paying such a high price for a secondary pair of headphones for short, occasional listening sessions, I would do it in a heartbeat. But for a pair of headphones for all-round extensive daily use, the Empyrean with it's laid-back, full-bodied and also highly enjoyable sound and superb comfort is just the obvious choice for me.
Thank you for that comparison. It sounds like the Abyss is much less comfortable. One issue I have with the Empyreans is I cannot comfortably wear my glasses with them (most headphones have the same issue on me). I had read the Abyss do not actually sit tight on your head? Would this allow for eye glasses to be able to be moved while listening to the Abyss? Tks.

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #8,083 of 13,029
Thank you for that comparison. It sounds like the Abyss is much less comfortable. One issue I have with the Empyreans is I cannot comfortably wear my glasses with them (most headphones have the same issue on me). I had read the Abyss do not actually sit tight on your head? Would this allow for eye glasses to be able to be moved while listening to the Abyss? Tks.
Hmm, I also wear glasses with rather thick arms, and I don't experience any decrease in comfort with either headphone. The 1266's pads need a broken seal, so yeah they do fit more loosely against the side of your head and therefore won't put much pressure onto your glasses for sure. But because of that loose kind of fit, most of the weight is distributed to the top of your head, and they wiggle around a bit whenever you move your head. So while not necessarily unpleasantly uncomfortable to wear, it feels rather constraining to wear for me most of all.

Nov 15, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #8,084 of 13,029
Arya will have some similarities to HE1000 SE, logical move is sell Arya and upgrade to SE ...
Yep!
... Empyrean would sound almost the opposite of Auteur, that could be a good start ...
Disagree. To my ears HEKse sound way more ‘opposite’ Empyrean than Auteur, especially with regards to their headstage/imaging capabilities. Plus, HEK sounds closest to neutral, with no band emphasized or recessed, even more so than Auteur which are ‘pretty’ neutral, vs Empy , which are not neutral. Finally, HEK can seem quite technical/analytical, while Auteur are more euphonic and Empy even more so.

All IMHO, my ears, my chain, etc :ksc75smile:

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #8,085 of 13,029
Can anyone plz help me?

I liked the Empyrean a lot more than the Hifimans, they were more of a comfy couch you can lean back into and listen for hours, I found the Hifimans a bit more fatiguing. As for the Dianas, I've never heard them but I head other people say that Abyss Headphones in that range have pretty crazy microdetail which can be fatiguing. I'd take the Empyreans, as they're 2k cheaper than the Dianas anyway and were so good they got me very emotional, I can't imagine the Dianas would beat them by much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back