Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #8,026 of 12,974
Funny, I wanted to write exactly the same. A8000 is a good companion for the Empy, since it a juxtaposition - ultra transparent with bright but super dynamic tuning.
Yeah, although they have the opposite sound signature, they both sounds relatively balanced, very natural, uncolored and smooth. Therefore, I appreciate both phones since they're able to deliver both realistic and musically sound.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #8,027 of 12,974
If anyone has classical / orchestra recordings that they particularly like on the Empyrean, I’d love to have some recommendations. I’ve always enjoyed classical music but do not have a deep knowledge base in that genre.

I did listen to a wide range of classical stuff via Qobuz last night and loved the Empy presentation of it.

A few suggestions, based on my LP collection - but my Empy system sounds a whole lot like my valve LP system.

Mozart clarinet concerto, by Emma Johnson (I've heard her twice playing this)
Mozart piano concertos, 15 or later; especially 17 and 21 by Geza Anda.
In fact, anything by Mozart.
Rodrigo, Concierto di Aranjuez, played by Zaradin is best; Williams not so great IMHO; perhaps by one of the Romeros?
Rodrigo, Fantasia Para un Gentilhombre, by Pepe Romero - fabulous!
Scheherazade. (OK, a bit of a warhorse but good music ... 1st movement not that great). Kletzki's version is great, lilting, musical but hard to find. I'm not that keen on Reiner/ CSO though it's often recommended. For fun, google 'best scheherazade', should get thousands of hits.
Dvorak sysmphonies; OK, we all know the New World, but 7 and 8 are also excellent. Kletzki on Decca recommended.
Beethoven; not my favourite composer, but Emperor Concerto is superb, especially by Stephen Bishop (aka Kovacevic) (sp?)

If you are new to classical, you may not be keen on vocals, but you might try Spoorenberg doing Mozart, or anything by Frederica von Stade; both IMO not as extreme as most things, so more accessible.

Used CDs on Amazon is a great source of music!

This is just scratching the surface, but it's great stuff and I'll follow up with more later.

Enjoy!

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #8,028 of 12,974
The Empyrean’s are a very good all around headphone. It’s one of the best I’ve heard at making anything I listen to enjoyable. They don’t overload you with details but they give you enough of everything that makes music a joy to listen to through them. For that, it’s hard to knock what they do and the way they portray music. Are they the last word? That’s completely up to the listener. :)

What headphones did you compare them to ?

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #8,029 of 12,974
What headphones did you compare them to ?
Quite a few of my headphones; Audeze LCD-4z’s, Hifiman HEKse’s, Klipsch HP-3’s, and Susvara’s. The HP-3 were also excellent all a rounders but the Empyrean’s did everything they could do with more refinement, better imaging, better bass definition, meatier midrange, and a smoother treble response. The Empyrean’s have a lot in common with the 4z’s, but in the end I gave the edge to 4z’s when both are matched with a silver cable. The HEKse’s have a different tonality than Empyrean’s and I would call the complementary headphones because of it. The HEKse’s are more open, airer, more extended at both ends of the spectrum, with a cleaner, clearer midrange. The Empyrean’s sound much warmer, less resolving, and gives up some transparency levels in comparison to HEKse’s. The Susvara’s, well they are better than all of them :)

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #8,030 of 12,974
Quite a few of my headphones; Audeze LCD-4z’s, Hifiman HEKse’s, Klipsch HP-3’s, and Susvara’s. The HP-3 were also excellent all a rounders but the Empyrean’s did everything they could do with more refinement, better imaging, better bass definition, meatier midrange, and a smoother treble response. The Empyrean’s have a lot in common with the 4z’s, but in the end I gave the edge to 4z’s when both are matched with a silver cable. The HEKse’s have a different tonality than Empyrean’s and I would call the complementary headphones because of it. The HEKse’s are more open, airer, more extended at both ends of the spectrum, with a cleaner, clearer midrange. The Empyrean’s sound much warmer, less resolving, and gives up some transparency levels in comparison to HEKse’s. The Susvara’s, well they are better than all of them :)
I'd also say that the Empyrean really benefit a lot from copper-silver fusion or pure silver cables.
Maybe the 4z do even more but also on the Empyrean the difference is far from negligible

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #8,031 of 12,974
I'd also say that the Empyrean really benefit a lot from copper-silver fusion or pure silver cables.
Maybe the 4z do even more but also on the Empyrean the difference is far from negligible
Agreed, a silver cable on the Empyrean's really opens them up. Details, clarity are greatly improved with a silver cable attached to them. Bass is tighten up and so it the midrange. The choice of earpads also effects the sound.

Nov 12, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #8,032 of 12,974
Agreed, a silver cable on the Empyrean's really opens them up. Details, clarity are greatly improved with a silver cable attached to them. Bass is tighten up and so it the midrange. The choice of earpads also effects the sound.
I am hoping to order a pair of Empyrean’s in the coming months and have read and watched many reviews expounding the performance pairing with silver cables. Of course, I want to make the right choice of cables to get the best out of the Empyrean’s.
I am being serious here and looking for guidance: What precisely, does the silver cable do to the signal that increases the clarity? I assume the silver cables can attenuate certain frequencies, since they have resistance and inductance; is it by reducing the response of some frequencies that it improves clarity? Or is it by some other effect of the metal? Before I invest in silver I’d like to have some idea how it works.

Nov 12, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #8,033 of 12,974
I am hoping to order a pair of Empyrean’s in the coming months and have read and watched many reviews expounding the performance pairing with silver cables. Of course, I want to make the right choice of cables to get the best out of the Empyrean’s.
I am being serious here and looking for guidance: What precisely, does the silver cable do to the signal that increases the clarity? I assume the silver cables can attenuate certain frequencies, 2FB21986-039E-452D-BFE7-7374B882A23D.jpeg
Silver is the most conductive (least resistive) of the metals alone. This accounts for the “quicker” transients and rendition of lower-level detail in music when silver cables are used for headphones.

Nov 12, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #8,034 of 12,974
The table again...EC3305EE-6F7D-45C0-A9DF-17A7319F322F.jpegEC3305EE-6F7D-45C0-A9DF-17A7319F322F.jpeg

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #8,035 of 12,974
Is it really pure silver wire or copper core wire with silver coating. Oxidation cannot happen if that matters for the sound quality.

Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/dws02-1m-3ft-0-2mm-Silver-OCC-Hook-Up-Wire-Ø-1-0mm-24-AWG-Audio-Cable-DIY-HiFi/302383476019?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This premium hook-up wire is made out of pure silver plated copper. Perfect for DIY electronics and Hi Fi projects.
  • Conductor size: 0.2mm² (approx. 24 AWG)
  • Conductor diameter: 0.6mm (7 x 0.2mm strand)
  • Conductor: Silver plated OCC wire
  • Cable outer diameter: 1.0mm
  • Sleeve material: Low capacitance PTFE dielectric insulator
  • Temp. rate: +200ºC
  • Cable length: 1m 3.3ft
  • Cable weight: 4g (per meter)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #8,036 of 12,974
Hi, I just received my first headphone, the Empyrean and I'm very happy with it. I was more of an IEM guy as I found it very uncomfortable previously to have headphones resting on my head and the main reason I blind bought the Empys was the description of a lot regarding the superb comfortability aside from the exceptional non fatiguing sound character of this HP.

My source right now is an A&K SP2000 and I also have a Kann Alpha incoming to provide more juice. I'm really new at this HP thing and I hope to get some advice from you guys...

Would the Empy improve substantially with a desktop amp/dac setup? No chance for me to try from where I am, so again a blind buy if ever.

I'm looking at possibly a
- GS-X mini with RME ADI-2 fs or bifrost2 or Qutest as dac
- Burson Conductor 3XR
- Hugo TT2 ( a bit over my budget)

...or should I just stick with my current daps?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

...you are on a good way with Astell&Kern with 2.5 mm connection.....you don't need a desktop amp for Empyrean

NOMAX

PS.so save your money....you will need it in 2021 😉

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #8,037 of 12,974
Silver is the most conductive (least resistive) of the metals alone. This accounts for the “quicker” transients and rendition of lower-level detail in music when silver cables are used for headphones.
Thanks for your answer, however, the resistance of a conductor doesn’t alter the speed of signal propagation. The speed can be affected by the insulation surrounding the wire (the dielectric) but this only changes the speed of entire signal (not just the initial pulses of energy that a transient consists of) by an insignificant amount. As an example: if the music calls for, say, a drum hit, the drum hit arrives at the same time as the rest of the music, whether it is delayed by 4 nanoseconds or 30 minutes, the relative “quickness” is determined by the recording and the reproduction equipment (DAC/amp/headphones). No part of the music is selectively accelerated by the cable making that part “quicker”, it just arrives along with the rest of the piece, if it didn’t it would also be out of sync.
IMO, there must be something else that accounts for the greater detail reported.

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #8,039 of 12,974
Is it really pure silver wire or copper core wire with silver coating. Oxidation cannot happen if that matters for the sound quality.

Thanks for sharing the source for silver plated hookup wire, braiding a good HP cable is a project I have been considering.
FYI, silver oxidizes faster than copper, silver corrosion however remains conductive unlike the copper counterpart. The real trouble is the galvanic corrosion that occurs when two dissimilar metals are in contact, like silver plated copper (“red plague” corrosion), as long as a good insulator surrounds the plated wire and keeps out oxygen and moisture there is typically a net benefit, it is at the connectors, particularly crimped ones, where corrosion becomes a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back