Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #61 of 12,974
Well done @MezeTeam, these look gorgeous (at least from the teaser pic). Really excited to hear more about them.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #63 of 12,974
Interesting..

But I fear that the Empyrean will be out of range for most of us in terms of price.
But would Meze really go from the $300 Classics to an "out of range" price point?

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #65 of 12,974
A flagship? :darthsmile:
You don't measure a flagship by who has the biggest price on the market, fortunately. :D
History has shown that even a 3 k$ hand-made headphone can sound like crap...

What worries me more is the fancy tech line without the slightest explanation.
It makes it look like cheasy marketing...
They shouldn't really need gimmicks after Meze 99 Classics success, they already have people's attention here.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #67 of 12,974
Very interesting... I look forward to hearing more about this new product. The sneak peek picture sure looks good.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #68 of 12,974
I was hoping it to be in the price range of Aeon Flow, $799. I think it will be a killer in that price range as there are not much competition yet in that are.
Actually, the $600-800 range is starting to become pretty crowded! A year or 2 ago, almost nothing in this range, but now... AEONs (2 versions), CA Cascade, AR-H1, Cleer NEXT, and I am sure I am forgetting a couple more... To be honest, several more SHOULD be in this range (Focal Elear, for example) but are priced a little higher at the $1000-1200 range. Anyhow, for people that can afford it - this range is becoming more and more interesting! :wink:

I heard that the price will be much higher than $799. Bad move in my opinion for a small company like Meze but I imagine the Rinaro's drivers are very expensive..
Hard to tell whether it is worth it or not before we actually see and audition the new headphones, but I tend to agree - going beyond $799 would substantially drop number of units sold. IMHO, some headphones incur a MUCH higher BOM for the manufacturer (think ZMF) and therefore make sense, while others just charge MUCH more because they can (HD800S vs. HD800... do you really think the BOM for Sennheiser is 50% higher?!).

But would Meze really go from the $300 Classics to an "out of range" price point?
Yeah, I hope that won't happen! Definitely on my to-do list for NYC next weekend, and hopefully Meze would make us all happy by these being an upgrade to the 99s while not breaking the bank... Going from $300 to $500 would definitely generate a lot of sales. Going substantially higher would sell substantially less.

Just my opinions. I love my 99 Classics.
I totally agree with the patriotic comments praising Meze's quality. Romanian made or not, the 99 Classics are very high quality headphones!

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #69 of 12,974
Actually, the $600-800 range is starting to become pretty crowded! A year or 2 ago, almost nothing in this range, but now... AEONs (2 versions), CA Cascade, AR-H1, Cleer NEXT, and I am sure I am forgetting a couple more... To be honest, several more SHOULD be in this range (Focal Elear, for example) but are priced a little higher at the $1000-1200 range. Anyhow, for people that can afford it - this range is becoming more and more interesting! :wink:

Hahaha, that's why they should get in now, before it's too late.
Strike while the iron is hot!

I think if they priced it along those price range, it will sell more for them in the end.

From a marketing perspective, Meze Audio's customer base is a mix between Audiophile, budget Audiophile and mainstream users.

For audiophile, going high end makes sense, but the performance has to match their current collections, including summit-fi that has no limits in pricing, but these people usually needs a headphone for outside use.

For Budget Audiophile, $799 - $1000 is probably the maximum price range attainable, as they need to save some budget for the other components, and this already stretching it a bit.

For mainstream users, $1000+ headphone is just overkill, as they are not as hardcore as the other group.
These people bought the headphone because they found out that there is a better sounding headphone in the price range as compared to beats.
Keeping the price < $1000 will increase the chance on converting this group into sale, even better yet they can be a promoter for the company to their friends, I would think $799 will be a good spot.

I think competing with the Aeon's price range make sense, and I think Meze has an advantage (not only to Mrspeakers, but also other company), MrSpeakers, Focal customer base was mainly audiophile who needs more portable/cheaper headphone for outside or work use, therefore has smaller customer base because there are not many of them.
Meze was the other way around, building headphone with good aesthetics and sound quality, that appeals to wider range market and they start their market closer to mainstream users, so more people know about them, but, this market audience might get turned off if the pricing is too high.

But you know why I'm saying this, hahaha:k701smile:

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #70 of 12,974
Hahaha, that's why they should get in now, before it's too late.
Strike while the iron is hot!

I think if they priced it along those price range, it will sell more for them in the end.

From a marketing perspective, Meze Audio's customer base is a mix between Audiophile, budget Audiophile and mainstream users.

For audiophile, going high end makes sense, but the performance has to match their current collections, including summit-fi that has no limits in pricing, but these people usually needs a headphone for outside use.

For Budget Audiophile, $799 - $1000 is probably the maximum price range attainable, as they need to save some budget for the other components, and this already stretching it a bit.

For mainstream users, $1000+ headphone is just overkill, as they are not as hardcore as the other group.
These people bought the headphone because they found out that there is a better sounding headphone in the price range as compared to beats.
Keeping the price < $1000 will increase the chance on converting this group into sale, even better yet they can be a promoter for the company to their friends, I would think $799 will be a good spot.

I think competing with the Aeon's price range make sense, and I think Meze has an advantage (not only to Mrspeakers, but also other company), MrSpeakers, Focal customer base was mainly audiophile who needs more portable/cheaper headphone for outside or work use, therefore has smaller customer base because there are not many of them.
Meze was the other way around, building headphone with good aesthetics and sound quality, that appeals to wider range market and they start their market closer to mainstream users, so more people know about them, but, this market audience might get turned off if the pricing is too high.

But you know why I'm saying this, hahaha:k701smile:

Good perspective and great analysis.
I agree totally that Meze is more appealing brand to the masses, but if they get too greedy... those masses won't buy.
I do not need yet another headphones (famous last words...) - but will not miss the opportunity to audition them next weekend! Hopefully, Meze would provide pricing info by then :)
Fingers crossed that I won't like them... :wink: My poor wallet...

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #71 of 12,974
Good perspective and great analysis.
I agree totally that Meze is more appealing brand to the masses, but if they get too greedy... those masses won't buy.
I do not need yet another headphones (famous last words...) - but will not miss the opportunity to audition them next weekend! Hopefully, Meze would provide pricing info by then :)
Fingers crossed that I won't like them... :wink: My poor wallet...

I'll be looking forward to your impressions!
The classic has been a great investment for me, since I acquire it I've changed amp, DAC and high end headphones a couple times, it is the only that still stays in the inventory for a while, I'm curious to see how the brand evolve. :beerchug:

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #72 of 12,974
I'll be looking forward to your impressions!
The classic has been a great investment for me, since I acquire it I've changed amp, DAC and high end headphones a couple times, it is the only that still stays in the inventory for a while, I'm curious to see how the brand evolve. :beerchug:
I have a long todo list for NYC, but Meze vs. Meze (99C vs. Empyrean) is definitely up there... :wink:
I hope to have some time allocated to audition those 2 and report back!

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #73 of 12,974
others just charge MUCH more because they can (HD800S vs. HD800... do you really think the BOM for Sennheiser is 50% higher?!).
Or the new HD820, a closed HD800s that costs $1000 more, just for two glass cups. Ridiculous!

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #75 of 12,974
It isn’t greedy. It’s supply and demand even though I agree with you.
As long as people are willing to fork out the big bucks, prices will continue to stay the same or rise.
There are a few out there that offer great products at a reasonable price like Schiit,
Mr. Speakers with their new Aeon and of course the king of the hill with regard to price versus performance.....Meze.
Fingers crossed the business model stays intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back