Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 8, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #6,211 of 12,974
The ventilator I can do. I’ll even throw in an enema bag in case things really go south.

I can’t do the toilet paper because I sold it to the people in the Utopia appreciation group to stick in their ears when listening. Man, did I make big bucks on that.

The AK47 I gave to a postal worker. He said something about his workplace

Apr 9, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #6,212 of 12,974
Audeze has a lot to be criticised for (driver inconsistency, upper mid/lower treble dip), but the £600 LCD2C has a brilliant non-tangling thin and light cable. The Empy of course has that sublime sound, but for me that vacuum cleaner power cord-like painfully heavy tangling stock cable was always a pain. Please Meze, improve your stock cable. :)

Apr 9, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #6,213 of 12,974
Audeze has a lot to be criticised for (driver inconsistency, upper mid/lower treble dip), but the £600 LCD2C has a brilliant non-tangling thin and light cable. The Empy of course has that sublime sound, but for me that vacuum cleaner power cord-like painfully heavy tangling stock cable was always a pain. Please Meze, improve your stock cable. :)
Ok. BUT really, what flagship, TOTL, statement, Halo-bologna brand has a less-than-mediocre cable? And do not reference STAX as they are not a comparable example.

Apr 9, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #6,214 of 12,974
Ok. BUT really, what flagship, TOTL, statement, Halo-bologna brand has a less-than-mediocre cable? And do not reference STAX as they are not a comparable example.
Your point is fair, as HiFiMan cables for example are even more ridiculous. TOTL headphones come with annoying cables. What a world we live in, seriously.

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #6,215 of 12,974
Your point is fair, as HiFiMan cables for example are even more ridiculous. TOTL headphones come with annoying cables. What a world we live in, seriously.
Choose your battles, I suppose. :wink:

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #6,216 of 12,974
How does the LCD2C compare to the Empy (from memory?) ?

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #6,217 of 12,974
How does the LCD2C compare to the Empy (from memory?) ?
They are both great headphones for the price. I think I won't surprise anyone if I say the Empy is better overall.
Bass on the 2C holds its own surprisingly well. Sub-bass is actually a bit stronger. 2C is also less neutral and warmer but it is a lot of fun. That punchy solid bass is very satisfying. In other areas the 2C is not even in the same ball park.
The Empy sounds more spacious and much more natural, life-like. Better imaging, higher resolution, natural and life-like mids and treble.
The 2C feels like a good quality entertaining system while the Empy brings you closer to reality.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #6,218 of 12,974
They are both great headphones for the price. I think I won't surprise anyone if I say the Empy is better overall.
Bass on the 2C holds its own surprisingly well. Sub-bass is actually a bit stronger. 2C is also less neutral and warmer but it is a lot of fun. That punchy solid bass is very satisfying. In other areas the 2C is not even in the same ball park.
The Empy sounds more spacious and much more natural, life-like. Better imaging, higher resolution, natural and life-like mids and treble.
The 2C feels like a good quality entertaining system while the Empy brings you closer to reality.

Anyone know how the spaciousness/transparency compares to the HD800/S?

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #6,220 of 12,974
No comparison. You would lose a lot going from the 800S to Empyrean if transparency and spaciousness are your metrics.

Thanks. While I thought the Empyrean was really good when I demoed it, my first reaction was "wow, these are great for closed-backs" (I know they're open now). Didn't get a chance to compare them side by side.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6,221 of 12,974
Thanks. While I thought the Empyrean was really good when I demoed it, my first reaction was "wow, these are great for closed-backs" (I know they're open now). Didn't get a chance to compare them side by side.
I did have a chance. While the Empy is quite spacious and transparent the 800S is more spacious and more transparent immediately. The 800S sounds thinner and lacks bass in comparison. The Empy is thicker and more natural. Silly example, but this came to my mind: the 800S could be a thin and tall top model, while the Empy is a 'real' woman.

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #6,222 of 12,974

To be honest since getting a pair Verite Closed my Empyreans have had next to no use even though that is closed compared to open. They are more detailed and spacious sounding but just as natural with a good dose of bass.

Very tempted to part exchange the Empyrean to upgrade my speakers from Monitor Audio PL100II to Monitor Audio Pl200II as I will get far more joy from the extra 4 drivers (2 per channel) in them than a pair of headphones hanging on a stand looking pretty lol.

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #6,223 of 12,974
After a long waiting - :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:
Grimes new defined. Since I have it I could hardly swithch to anything else. I do not know how does it do that. Sounds like magic.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #6,224 of 12,974
Hey Guys

Whats the build quality like on these? Are there reports of drivers failing? Own a pair of lcd 3's and I can never shake of the feeling that they are about to have a driver fail.

I am completely ok with spending the money on the Empyreans. But only if the quality and life time reliability is there.

Also have a feliks euforia on the way, which is a otl @ 250mw. Could the euforia power the meze with ease?

cheers

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #6,225 of 12,974
Hey Guys

Whats the build quality like on these? Are there reports of drivers failing? Own a pair of lcd 3's and I can never shake of the feeling that they are about to have a driver fail.

I am completely ok with spending the money on the Empyreans. But only if the quality and life time reliability is there.

Also have a feliks euforia on the way, which is a otl @ 250mw. Could the euforia power the meze with ease?

cheers
the emyreans have been exceptional re no (or VERY limited) quality control issues - you won't get any better than these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back