Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 14, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #6,241 of 13,028
Thx! Whose silver cable do you use? I was thinking about Meze copper upgrade but I came across a Silver cable from Europe that looked great. Can’t remember name but bookmarked it on computer.

I swap around between the silver series from Arctic Cables and a gold plated silver X8 from PlusSound.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #6,242 of 13,028
Apr 14, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #6,243 of 13,028
the emyreans have been exceptional re no (or VERY limited) quality control issues - you won't get any better than these

Build quality is excellent. Really, the only build issues I’ve seen mentioned were a couple pair with slight cosmetic defects. I don’t recall seeing any reports of mechanical or sound failures.

So far the only issues I've heard about were some cosmetic blemishes which Meze fixed pretty quickly by increasing the thickness of the anodization.

Thank you for all the support, your endorsements motivate us to work harder and keep up this track record. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Apr 14, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #6,244 of 13,028
I just bought a pair of Empyreans. Here Wednesday?

Thx! Whose silver cable do you use? I was thinking about Meze copper upgrade but I came across a Silver cable from Europe that looked great. Can’t remember name but bookmarked it on computer.

Congratulation, we hope you'll enjoy your music with our Empyrean. As someone have suggested, maybe its a good idea to give the Empyhrean some time to settle down, then you'll observe the pros and cons in your system and have a better chance to find the perfect headphone cable in your setup. Better still, maybe the system will sing very well as-is, we never know. :L3000:

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Apr 14, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #6,245 of 13,028
Congratulation, we hope you'll enjoy your music with our Empyrean. As someone have suggested, maybe its a good idea to give the Empyhrean some time to settle down, then you'll observe the pros and cons in your system and have a better chance to find the perfect headphone cable in your setup. Better still, maybe the system will sing very well as-is, we never know. :L3000:

Andy,
Any suggestion as to settle / burn in time on the Empyrean?

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #6,246 of 13,028
Ah yes I had the grand line lavricable before and someone from headfi bought it off me. Good cable, a little grain and sharp up top though. But very nice low end with the empy. Love the look of the lavricables.
That would be me. Using with my Auteur -- wish I'd had this and my DSHA-3F when Empyrean were in the house. Although since I did have a Silver Dragon, I think the amp might have had more impact.

But I love the Lavricable w/ my Auteur -- thanks @Roasty !! Already had a short one for use w/ DAPs, but I was very glad to get one for my desktop system. W/ adapter I'm using it for most of my cans.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #6,247 of 13,028
Thank you! I will let them burn in first. I'd like your opinion on Meze upgrade cables the copper vs silver. Thank you.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #6,248 of 13,028
By the way, can you tell us more about your upstream equipment so that we can benefit by your mix and match experience with Empyrean. :beerchug:
I currently have my Empyrean paired with a FiiO M11 Pro and a 4.4mm Pentaconn copper PCUHD upgrade cable, and I'm amazed by how well it pairs with such an inexpensive (relative, of course) DAP. It's easily as good of a match with the Empyrean as my desktop setup which consists of an SDAC-B + THX AAA 789. So far I haven't heard any better match for the Empyrean <$/€1000 than the M11 Pro. The main problems with source matching seems to be (to my ears) in bass control and texture quality in the mids/treble, and the M11 Pro controls the bass superbly. Treble quality isn't optimal, but I have yet to hear a sub-1k DAP do better there. And I don't know if this is just placebo or not, but setting the DAC filter on the M11 Pro to "super slow roll-off" seems to provide the best texture qualtiy overall.

I've also auditioned it with a number of different higher end sources, like the AudioValve Solaris, Chord DAVE, Chord Hugo 2, A&K SP2000, the ElevenXI Abyss stack, Fezz Audio Omega Lupi and a few others, and it scales very well with all of those. None of those struck me as "bad pairings" for the Empyrean, although there are definitely differences between each of them. The Solaris was an especially beautiful match. Adds a lot of that tube magic in exactly the right way, which I didn't think the Empyrean would benefit from at all considering it's already warm enough on its own.

I would probably pick the SP2000 and the Solaris as my "endgame" picks for the Empyrean. The SP2000 on its own is already quite perfect as-is, and a tube amp is more of an added flavor. I've heard from others that a Manley Absolute pairs even better with the Empyrean than the Solaris though, so I'm curious to hear how that pairs up. Thankfully the M11 Pro is good enough to where I don't feel an urge to upgrade any time soon. My only curse is the fact that I have heard how much better it can get with better gear...

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #6,249 of 13,028
I have a question to Empyrean owners, I have a Sony Z1R I am looking for open back headphones to compliment Z1R, I mostly listen to Tidal MQA via xdsd hi-fi via Chord Hugo 2 .
My questions are.
1. Am I justifying the 3k cost of Empyrean if listening to Tidal lossless am I getting the best out of Empyrean or better off with Arya or cheaper Audeze.
2. I am concerned about limited warranty of Empyrean compared to company like Focal which gives 5 years warranty, what are the repair costs post guarantee for drivers etc. Any expy.
Finally I will only be using Hugo 2 how is the pairing with Hugo 2, or I should look for THX amps as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #6,250 of 13,028
I have a question to Empyrean owners, I have a Sony Z1R I am looking for open back headphones to compliment Z1R, I mostly listen to Tidal MQA via xdsd hi-fi via Chord Hugo 2 .
My questions are.
1. Am I justifying the 3k cost of Empyrean if listening to Tidal lossless am I getting the best out of Empyrean or better off with Arya or cheaper Audeze.
2. I am concerned about limited warranty of Empyrean compared to company like Focal which gives 5 years warranty, what are the repair costs post guarantee for drivers etc. Any expy.
Finally I will only be using Hugo 2 how is the pairing with Hugo 2, or I should look for THX amps as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Should also consider the LCD-4 when it goes on sale for a similar price. It's up there with the best headphones available at the moment. More dynamic and detailed than the Empyrean.

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #6,251 of 13,028
Should also consider the LCD-4 when it goes on sale for a similar price. It's up there with the best headphones available at the moment. More dynamic and detailed than the Empyrean.

But the weight on that bad boy, oh the weight.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #6,252 of 13,028

LCD-4 is great but similar flavor to Z1R though, warm and dynamic. I think Hifiman house sound compliments Z1R better. HE1000se or V2 is very open and airy, opposite of Z1R/LCD4. Easily powered by a Hugo 2. I'd take either over a Empyrean though... :wink:

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #6,253 of 13,028
My questions are.
LCD-4 is great but similar flavor to Z1R, warm and dynamic. I think Hifiman house sound compliments Z1R better. HE1000se or V2 is very open and airy, opposite of Z1R/LCD4. Easily powered by a Hugo 2. I'd take either over a Empyrean though... :wink:

Strange how opinions differ. Empy is the most comfortable headphone ever, whereas the LCD4 is putting on a gym weight (which easily breaks, too).

I owned at one point the Sony Z1R and Empy together. Fast forward 15 months, Empy still here, Z1R not.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #6,254 of 13,028
Strange how opinions differ. Empy is the most comfortable headphone ever, whereas the LCD4 is putting on a gym weight (which easily breaks, too).

I owned at one point the Sony Z1R and Empy together. Fast forward 15 months, Empy still here, Z1R not.

Not strange at all, quite a subjective hobby. True comfort is speakers, weightless. :wink:

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #6,255 of 13,028
Not strange at all, quite a subjective hobby. True comfort is speakers, weightless. :wink:
Not really weightless. Good high end speakers can be a lot heavier on the wallet!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back