Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 10, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #5,521 of 12,974
I do store them in the case with the mini xlr pointing upward so it doesn't damage the cable. Unfortunately my head isn't always at its cleanest. One can do so much to prevent dirt inside the driver but there is also the driver on the other side, This is a very complicated subject!

The least riskiest way to approach this it seems is to let the driver face downward in the case for X amount of hours or days and let gravity do the work. And then remove the pads n clean whatever's fallen off. Or combine with what racebit said, put it face down n play music.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #5,524 of 12,974
Hi! I got a question....
those of you that have mscaler/hugo tt2 do you use high gain on empyrian...and why...thanks.
I prefer high gain because to me it sounds a little bit more dynamic, little cleaner and more energetic. I think most folks with Empy + TT2 use low gain though and that's perfectly fine as well.
As far as I know Rob Watts designed low gain on the TT2 especially for sensitive IEMs by adding an extra resistor to the chain. So this means the default way of using the TT2 would be high-gain with most headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #5,525 of 12,974
I prefer high gain because to me it sounds a little bit more dynamic, little cleaner and more energetic. I think most folks with Empy + TT2 use low gain though and that's perfectly fine as well.
As far as I know Rob Watts designed low gain on the TT2 especially for sensitive IEMs by adding an extra resistor to the chain. So this means the default way of using the TT2 would be high-gain with most headphones.
Ok..thanks

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #5,527 of 12,974
Does the Empyrean have nice dynamics and dynamic shifts or is it more on the warm, laid back side?
To my experience it very much depends on the DAC and amp you use. With the TT2 dynamics, speed and detail is pretty much what you can wish for.
The Empy out of affordable amps and DACs can sound too warm and too laid back though. With a precise high-end source they shine. From lesser gear they can sound slightly warm and not as clear as they can be.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #5,528 of 12,974
Does the Empyrean have nice dynamics and dynamic shifts or is it more on the warm, laid back side?
To my experience it very much depends on the DAC and amp you use. With the TT2 dynamics, speed and detail is pretty much what you can wish for.
The Empy out of affordable amps and DACs can sound too warm and too laid back though. With a precise high-end source they shine. From lesser gear they can sound slightly warm and not as clear as they can be.
I pretty much agree with @betula -- Empy's signature does move around with different source chains. That said, I would call it warm, but not necessarily 'laid back'. In other words, depending on chain, somewhat warm, or warmer, and a bit laid back, or pretty dynamic.

I preferred my Empy with my SS amp (Bryston BHA-1, since sold) vs with my Liquid Platinum with Siemens NOS CCa tubes. Liked it better with LP running Brimar CV-2492 tubes. I really wish I had had a chance to listen to Empy driven by my DSHA-3F, especially with the Amorphous Core transformers -- I suspect I might love that combo.

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #5,530 of 12,974
I pretty much agree with @betula -- Empy's signature does move around with different source chains. That said, I would call it warm, but not necessarily 'laid back'. In other words, depending on chain, somewhat warm, or warmer, and a bit laid back, or pretty dynamic.

I preferred my Empy with my SS amp (Bryston BHA-1, since sold) vs with my Liquid Platinum with Siemens NOS CCa tubes. Liked it better with LP running Brimar CV-2492 tubes. I really wish I had had a chance to listen to Empy driven by my DSHA-3F, especially with the Amorphous Core transformers -- I suspect I might love that combo.
Agreed. Still on the warmish side of neutral, mostly because of its love to mid-bass. But high-end detailed gear brings out the best of the Empy: a spacious, detailed and smooth sound that doesn't lack layers. From basic gear they can sound warm and not clear enough. Once you connect the Empy to high-end gear it might be your ticket to perfection depending on your preference.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #5,531 of 12,974
I have to disagree with you on high gain..more clean on low gain to me....

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #5,535 of 12,974
Agreed. Still on the warmish side of neutral, mostly because of its love to mid-bass. But high-end detailed gear brings out the best of the Empy: a spacious, detailed and smooth sound that doesn't lack layers. From basic gear they can sound warm and not clear enough. Once you connect the Empy to high-end gear it might be your ticket to perfection depending on your preference.
I'm a bit puzzled here. If a headphone is 'telling the truth' (which I guess it should at $3000), then it should bring out the actual sound of the amp and DAC it is being used with, no? The comments here seem to infer that all "affordable" amps and DAC's are warm and not so clear when used with the Empyrean. What about tube amps? Would not even expensive ones sound warm and rich with the Empyrean? I realize that scaling up should happen (given the cash outlay to make it happen) but I get the impression that it takes a sharply detailed SS amp/DAC to get the Meze out of its 'warm zone'. Is this accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back