1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Feb 9, 2018.
First

Back
360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369
371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380
Next

Last
  1. Bonddam
    I'm not seeing a change in warmth using gsx mini. It does sound really good. I am planning to purchase a AudioValve Solaris. Then looking at upgrading my dac to hugo tt2 So hope I get improvement with the new setup.

2. LCMusicLover
    I can't speak about Empy with real tube amps, but w/ my Siemens CCa in LP, it was a bit of warm/lush on top of warm/lush.

As far as 'telling the truth', the whole 'your ears/my ears' thing suggests that there is no absolute truth in audio. Think about the Harman Response Curve. It's not intended to be the arbiter of 'THE TRUTH' but rather a predictor of listener preferences.

Empy aren't 'referency' the way (say) Utopia are, and there's nothing to say that's a bad thing. As for them requiring a 'special' source chain, the same is true of many (most?) high-end cans. It's a system, and all elements will affect the output. Note that can work both ways. The headphones present a variable impedance load to an amp which can affect the way the amp performs. Does that mean that the headphones aren't 'telling the truth'? I would argue that it's just a matter of the components of the system working together more or less well.

Anyway, off the soapbox :)

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Beagle likes this.
  3. LCMusicLover
    I briefly owned the original Ares (long before Empy arrived). I bet Empy will sound like a whole different headphone out of the TT2.

4. LCMusicLover
    OR, you could send me yours so I can check out the pairing. C'mon, I'm only about 5 hours away from you :)

nwavesailor likes this.
  5. tradyblix
    Conan, what is best in life ?

Crush the tube amps, See them melted down before you, and revel in the exultatation of solid state !!!
    I have some experience with various modern dacs now, I have more equipment than in my sig.

I would say that cleaner/sharper dac amps like hugo2 pair really well with the Empy. They’re pretty damn good with Utopia too. But I also have a warm dacamp, and its also great with that, in a different way. So I would say yeah. Some folks dont like warm tho.

6. nwavesailor
    Actually, less than 4 hours to LC!:nerd:

LCMusicLover likes this.
  7. Beagle
    Thank you for the articulate response. I agree it all comes down to preference and taste, hopefully with as little distortion as possible.

8. LCMusicLover
    Well then:

9. delirium
    Hi! How would you say on time of burning in empyrian?...thanks..my own exsperience with headphones is about 300 hours....thanks.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  10. betula
    All these terms are quite relative, perhaps that is what you find confusing. Talking about warmth in high-end is very different to warmth you can experience with entry level gear. "Warm sounding high-end gear is still objectively neutral and will never sound as warm as something on the affordable end of the spectrum.
    Otherwise I think @LCMusicLover brilliantly answered your questions in his comment above.

delirium likes this.
  11. Beagle
    Why? Just because you paid more for it?

12. ken6217
    Yeah, his statement is somewhere between elitist and dumb.

kid vic likes this.
  13. betula
    Oh, guys... Again? Really? You don't quite get a comment and immediately start to fire away personal insults?

Let me bring some examples to refine what I meant:
    While around £200-300 you can find really warm headphones like the Nighthawk, you won't find that level of warmth with any TOTL headphones. One can say the Empy is warm compared to the Utopia, but that warmth is nowhere near to the level you can find with some sub £800 headphones.
    While in the lower-end spectrum you can find a lot of examples for very warm sound, in the higher-end spectrum there is none, at least not to the same extent.

My post compared the different meaning of the same word. It has nothing to do with elitism or dumbness.
    Next time you get frustrated, try to swallow your hostility instead of burping it out without a second thought.

Ragnar-BY and delirium like this.
  14. ken6217
    No personal insult given.

So based on what you’re saying, cheap headphones or source gear = warm, and expensive = not warm.

What about R2R ladder NOS DAC’s. They are on the warm or laid back side, but are very detailed and expensive.

up late and Beagle like this.
  15. Beagle
    Really.

If I use a NightHawk in an expensive 'analytical' ss amp, is it still warmer than an Empyrean used in an expensive tube amp?

First

Back
360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369
371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380
Next

Last