Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #5,461 of 12,974
The abyss are finicky in that they require a bit of adjustment to get the good stuff, whereas other cans u just wear straight away without worrying about position /pads etc but the sound u get is extremely gratifying.

I find that even with everything adjusted, if I rotate the headphones forward or backwards slightly, the sound changes too.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #5,462 of 12,974
For me.. The pads are only resting on my head very lightly. If i move my head too much, the headphones will likely fall off. I have a very small maybe 2 mm gap between pad and head, just below the ear.

Optimal sound.. That's for you to adjust the pads and find your preference.

Also remember u can not only pull apart the metal head band for width, but also angle them out or in, depending on your head shape and sound preference.

You can also bend the frame to get the fit just right. There is a video about this fromAbyss on you tube.

Once the fit is right you are rewarded with sonic bliss. I borrowed all of the totl audeze cans and there is no comparing. They all sounded veiled and slightly lifeless after hearing the abyss. When I sold my LCD 4Z to fund my first speaker upgrade to a pair of dynaudio c1 platinums I was bummed. I am now happy that I did it because I might not have taken the plunge with the abyss. I have sold off everything with the exception of my clears, and the noble Khan has replaced all of my iems.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #5,463 of 12,974
I know, for some reason the Empyrean thread is not the friendliest and most accepting one on Head-Fi, but I like to experiment. :)

I still love my Empyreans out of the TT2, this combo is the best I have ever tried and owned so far. But you know, as most of us I also can't stop thinking what could be improved.
I really loved my LCD2C for the bass. I also like the bass on the LCD4 a bit more than on the Empyrean. Mids and treble however are much more natural and airier on the Meze flagship, so trading in that last bits of bass impact and clarity is not really a question for me. I quite like the natural tone of the Verité (and Aeolus) but dynamic drivers just cant give me satisfying enough bass impact versus planar transducers when it comes to EDM. I like the clarity and detail of Focal headphones but to me they are a bit too upfront especially in the treble. I need something more relaxing than Focal but perhaps not quite as warmish and relaxing as the Empy? After a short audition I actually quite liked the HD800S, or at least some aspects of it (was a surprise to me). The spaciousness, separation refinement, definition was spot on. What I missed from the HD800S is a bit more bass impact (planar fan here) and just a little more soul/musicality.
Hifiman, before I forget it... And I won't mention build quality here. I owned and liked the HEXV2. Tonality is spot on for my taste, spaciousness is almost too much (I don't always want to listen to an open air concert), bass is there but not as focused as I like. The whole picture is a bit diffuse. I prefer the LCD line for focus and bass, although Hifiman is more spacious and more natural sounding. HEKV2 is better detailed and focused (short audition) but I have similar preference problems as I had with my HEXV2.

Up to this date the Empyrean is the best compromise I have ever tried for my taste and needs. What I would improve on the Empyrean is clarity, refinement, even more insight especially in the low frequencies. A flatter and a hint crisper, clearer bass impact (like LCD4). The natural and friendly tonality of the Empyrean is spot on and a unique selling point at this price range. (Not to mention comfort.)

To me the Empyrean is the best overall package I have tried so far, but that doesn't mean I couldn't or wouldn't want to tweak anything further.
Looking at my taste and history with headphones the only candidates that would worth for me to try are the Susvara and Abyss headphones. Both the Susvara and Abyss TC cost twice as much as the Empy. Technically they must be better, but technical performance is not everything when you are ready to drop 3-6K on a headphone. The new Diana V2 looks interesting, but I love my bass and from 3-4 sources I heard bass is not Diana V2's strength.

I guess my thoughts might contribute to further Meze developments instead. Remember, even just five years ago what headphones we had. Hardly anything from what I have just mentioned. Imagine, what headphones will come out in the next five years. This hobby is sky rocketing at the moment and it is still just the beginning.
playing the world's smallest violin - just for you. but seriously, it's not a matter of this thread being any more or less friendly and accepting than other head-fi threads. if you're going to make generalisations based on your own personal experience and preferences, then they are open to challenge. this is a forum after all.

i thought that diana v2 had ample bass. it didn't lack quantity or quality to my ears. that said, based on your stated sound preferences, i suspect that the diana v2 may not be to your taste.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #5,464 of 12,974
Yep agreed. Once adjusted, never have to adjust again. It's not uncomfortable, just not entirely comfortable. The Meze can almost just melt away and disappear. But with abyss, I always know it is on my head. Sometimes I think that's what the TC stands for.. Totally Conscious i'm wearing it..

Hahaha. Awesome. that's what you get for going OFF TOPIC and discussing the Abyss in an Empy Thread :)

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #5,465 of 12,974
We Abyss owners are lonely. If only somebody make us a thread,

I hear the Emptrean bass more on the boomy side of the scale where the Diana v2 is more to sq. This was the same in my car audio comp. days built the sub enclosure on the small side. Once built ported small enclosure tuned to the vehicle which had no thunder but amazing sq.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #5,467 of 12,974
I'm not qualified to, Don't worry I only hijacked this thread while wearing my Empyrean...

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #5,468 of 12,974
I am getting Trevor's new Skruag series on Friday. I wanted this cable for my Empyrean, very excited.

Nov 14, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #5,470 of 12,974
playing the world's smallest violin - just for you. but seriously, it's not a matter of this thread being any more or less friendly and accepting than other head-fi threads. if you're going to make generalisations based on your own personal experience and preferences, then they are open to challenge. this is a forum after all.

i thought that diana v2 had ample bass. it didn't lack quantity or quality to my ears. that said, based on your stated sound preferences, i suspect that the diana v2 may not be to your taste.
Up late, self anointed protector of the objective truth... I guess you just find unique joy in putting everyone right.

Nov 15, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #5,472 of 12,974
A fellow Head-Fi member once described the look of the TC as a torturing device from the middle ages. :) That paired with the difficulties of getting a good fit makes the Abyss TC a challenging choice. Although I am quite sure the sound is sublime, even to my preference. But then there is price too...
I think my perfect headphone will come out in five years. That's actually not too long to wait. :)
Sound of the Abyss TC in the comfort and build of the Empy for not more than 2.5-3K. One can dream.

After investigating some more the TC, I think it may be the best sounding headphone available, although have not heard it. The looks and fit would be ok to me, as they provide the tilted earcups. What makes me discard it is the weight. Abyss needs to shave 200g and get to 450g (max 500g). That headband is heavy with aluminum, they must use other materials (carbon fiber, magnesium alloy, etc). Also other parts of the headphone.
Even my discontinued Sony MA900 has magnesium alloy frame (headband), lighter than aluminum (total weight 192 gr). Not sure if the magnesium alloy is lighter than aluminum, but as it is much stronger it can be thinner and achieve same result (strength) with less weight.
Anyway there are new materials, much lighter and much stronger, being produced in labs, it should not take much more time for them to arrive to the industry.

But for me Empyrean is the best headphone available at the moment, I wouldn't trade it for a TC, even if no money involved. Because TC sound serves no purpose if I don't want to wear it.

Meze is already perfect on the confort. TC may have have the best sound. So I will wait and see who gets on perfection line first, Meze with even better drivers, or Abyss with improved weight.

Betula, we are on a similar situation. We both got an Empyrean and TT2 recently (and a silver Lavricable), and because of that we are not ready to buy anything expensive right now, and we are both put off by headphones above 500gr. So time will allow our audio budget to grow back and give time to the manufacturers to work to deserve it. You say 5 years, you may be very right on that one, but I hope sooner.
Also it was a good thing we got the TT2, we are power ready for a TC successor, or a similarly power hungry competitor.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #5,473 of 12,974
I just got the TC today and going through the process of setting it. It might be heavy but it doesn't bother me yet. Bass is amazing no stuffy sound very clear. My daughter saw me wearing it and said I have the weirdest headphones. It does look silly but the sound is so AMAZING.

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #5,474 of 12,974
Pleasantly surprised..

Empyrean + suede pads + abyss 1266 moon audio silver dragon cable with ultrashort adaptors
fed by dac3b and hpa4

OMG amazeballs sound...

The upper registers have opened up and is so airy and clear. Mids and mid bass remain full and luscious and bass notes are fast tight and punchy. I really like the sound this empy combo is giving me.

I prefer this setup over the Empy + Silvergarde S3 and Verite Closed + Silvergarde S3.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #5,475 of 12,974
Empyrean+leather+Skruag powered by gsx mini + Ares II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back