Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 13, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #5,446 of 12,974
as far as the cable termination... yeah.. we can all agree that was a blunder
Not all ! I can not put publicly into words what i think about mini XLR connectors. Talk about a torture device, on the other side of the universe of the cleanliness of the 3.5mm connectors, like the Clear. Only solution to live with mini-XLR is considering it a fixed cable, permanently connected to the headphone.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #5,447 of 12,974
How about airiness and spaciousness on the closed version?

I don't know how Zach made the closed.. But it is on par with the opened.

As many have said about it.. It is a closed, but not like a closed.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #5,448 of 12,974
Not all ! I can not put publicly into words what i think about mini XLR connectors. Talk about a torture device, on the other side of the universe of the cleanliness of the 3.5mm connectors, like the Clear. Only solution to live with mini-XLR is considering it a fixed cable, permanently connected to the headphone.
Mini XLR is the way to go to standardise high-end headphone connections. 3.5mm is just too flimsy and weak.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #5,450 of 12,974
Yep u can rotate the earcups to change how it rests on your head (to allow a small gap, which is needed for an optimal sound with these headphones), and you can also adjust the metal headband as well to further fine tune.

By far.. The Meze is the most comfortable in my lineup. Followed by utopia, verite, and lastly abyss.

I had decided to put up the Meze for sale in my local buy/sell.. I had neglected the Meze in favour of the abyss, utopia and verite closed.

But yesterday I decided to give it another listen just for kicks. Put on the suede pads. Hooked up with a norne silvergarde. I was immediately smiling. I think my listening tastes have changed a bit; I now much prefer the Meze with suede pads. With the leather pads, it sounds a bit bloated to me. Not sure if it's the cable.. But I did enjoy the detail and highs. So very sweet and smooth. Nicer separation than the verite closed too.

I'm going to listen to the Meze over the weekend and have a rethink if I'm going to let them go.
You and I are on the same page with the pads and the cable... Im running a silverguarde 3 as well! couldnt be happier with it!

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #5,451 of 12,974
From what I read, the ZMF VC could be indeed a good supplement to the Empyrean. If I was interested in owning more headphones then I would choose complentary headphones. Why?
I also do not eat pizza every day because I like it. I understand everyone who owns +five headphones. Why should we limit ourselves!?

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #5,452 of 12,974
Well as far as the Rosson are concerned, it's not really the mini xlr vs the 3.5mm, even though I do prefer the mini xlr, its that their 3.5mm connectors have a different pinout, meaning you can't really use standard 3.5mm cables with them and even if you could, not all 3.5mm plugs would fit in the holes for the connectors.

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #5,453 of 12,974
I have been reading about 1266 TC sound qualities, including bass. However I was not aware of its earcup tilting capability. That puts it into another league. I will look more carefully into it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

the TC is not nearly as difficult to wear or as uncomfortable as suggested...with a bit a work it is quite comfortable and the sound....nothing like it

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #5,454 of 12,974
the TC is not nearly as difficult to wear or as uncomfortable as suggested...with a bit a work it is quite comfortable and the sound....nothing like it

Yep agreed. Once adjusted, never have to adjust again. It's not uncomfortable, just not entirely comfortable. The Meze can almost just melt away and disappear. But with abyss, I always know it is on my head. Sometimes I think that's what the TC stands for.. Totally Conscious i'm wearing it..

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #5,455 of 12,974
Man I really cant wait till mine finally come in. I have been waiting now for almost 2 months.

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #5,456 of 12,974
I am getting the TC on Friday and am wondering how long it takes to tweak it? What is the purpose of turning the ear pads? How much of a gap are they talking about?

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #5,457 of 12,974
Man I really cant wait till mine finally come in. I have been waiting now for almost 2 months.
you been waiting for the Empyrean for two months?!

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #5,458 of 12,974
I am getting the TC on Friday and am wondering how long it takes to tweak it? What is the purpose of turning the ear pads? How much of a gap are they talking about?

U just rotate the pads one notch at a time until u get to an "optimal sound". Just a small gap is required, about 1-3mm. If its an all round seal, the bass will be lacking impact and soundstage is terrible; overall presentation suffers.

After I find the correct position, I listen again one notch up and one notch down to confirm.

I adjusted the pads first. Then pulled apart the metal band such that the pads just barely rest on my head.

Then the enjoyment will begin.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #5,459 of 12,974
So how do you know it is optimal sound?

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #5,460 of 12,974
So how do you know it is optimal sound?

For me.. The pads are only resting on my head very lightly. If i move my head too much, the headphones will likely fall off. I have a very small maybe 2 mm gap between pad and head, just below the ear.

Optimal sound.. That's for you to adjust the pads and find your preference.

Also remember u can not only pull apart the metal head band for width, but also angle them out or in, depending on your head shape and sound preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back