Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 10, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #4,999 of 12,974
Anyone around Boston have these? Would love to hear them. Of course, I can bring a couple cool pairs of headphones to the meet. Maybe a three way shoot out between the Meze Empyrean vs. Abyss Phi CC vs. Hifiman HE1000SE using a Chord TT2?

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #5,000 of 12,974
While I'm sure this is true, I have seen a lot of folks say silver makes things brighter. I've seen people say they prefer copper or copper/silver plated instead, so...

Also it's incredibly expensive for a cable. I try not to spend over 10 percent of the system cost on cabling, rule of thumb.
Silver cables can sound different too. Also it behaves differently on different headphones. Furthermore the extra clarity and treble detail can easily be mixed up with brightness. Compared to the warmer sound of copper a clear and more neutral presentation of the silver can come across as 'brighter'. I also don't spend more than 10% on cables, I think that's a good guideline.

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #5,001 of 12,974
I Just received my Empyrean's this afternoon with the Meze upgraded silver cables. I'll report back the differences between it and the standard cable after proper burn in of the cans.

I've had the Empyrean's a few days (limited edition, looks cool!) and have the upgrade silver cables arriving today, XLR terminated. Will see if there's much difference to the stock cable. Great service from Meze BTW. Next day delivery from Romania to UK!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #5,002 of 12,974
Just arrived. It looks and feels nice anyway! Lightweight too.

DSCN1939 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #5,003 of 12,974
Did Meze ever release pure silver upgrade cables? I have a silver-plated copper cable from them with the same difficult-to-remove mini-XLR connectors as the stock cables therefore I avoid using it. I’ll probably reterminate mine to Furutech plugs in the future.

I recently acquired a pure silver cable from OC Studio that uses Furutech mini-XLR plugs and I have no issues removing them from the Empryean. Same with Cardas and Kimber plugs.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #5,004 of 12,974
Theres just a trick to the empy cables. you must press hard on the buttons, which may mean using a glove or something between your thumb and the button since they kind of hurt, while pushing in first. then they will slide out without much pressure. I think over more disconnect cycles they’ll loosen.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #5,005 of 12,974
Has anyone tried the Empyreans with a 780d DAC and 430HA (moon/simaudio)?

That’s my setup with with the Sennheiser HD800s and the Grado PS1000e at the moment and a lusher sound than the HD800s, similar soundstage and awesome mids without the oftentimes harshness of the Grados would be perfect.

Oct 14, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #5,008 of 12,974
I just made a search of this thread for 'cable noise', and since I got no results that might be a good thing.

I have only asked one person so far if there is much or any cable noise with the Empyrean. (I received a positive response.) Please could someone else give me their opinion?

I currently have the Focal Stellia which are within a return window. Sadly cable noise has pretty much killed those headphones for me. I have an option to try new cables with only 'hope' to curing the Stellia cable noise. However it means in the mean time, I don't really have headphones. Plus I would only want to buy an expensive upgrade cable if I bought any. That would be an expensive experiment. Whereas I find the Stellia almost unusable with the stock cable, so I don't really have headphones as of now.

Please what are the impressions of the stock Empyrean cable, in regard to cable noise? I don't mind if the Empyrean can be improved with a cable upgrade. I can do such an upgrade later, and a cable upgrade was always on my mind. I just want to get going with a headphone, that I can use for now.

I don't mind a bit of cable noise. I think some noise is probably on most headphones if not all. Just not so much that breathing causes friction and enough noise to spoil music. Or turning ones head means noise way over the music.

Oct 14, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #5,009 of 12,974
I just made a search of this thread for 'cable noise', and since I got no results that might be a good thing.

I have only asked one person so far if there is much or any cable noise with the Empyrean. (I received a positive response.) Please could someone else give me their opinion?

I currently have the Focal Stellia which are within a return window. Sadly cable noise has pretty much killed those headphones for me. I have an option to try new cables with only 'hope' to curing the Stellia cable noise. However it means in the mean time, I don't really have headphones. Plus I would only want to buy an expensive upgrade cable if I bought any. That would be an expensive experiment. Whereas I find the Stellia almost unusable with the stock cable, so I don't really have headphones as of now.

Please what are the impressions of the stock Empyrean cable, in regard to cable noise? I don't mind if the Empyrean can be improved with a cable upgrade. I can do such an upgrade later, and a cable upgrade was always on my mind. I just want to get going with a headphone, that I can use for now.

I don't mind a bit of cable noise. I think some noise is probably on most headphones if not all. Just not so much that breathing causes friction and enough noise to spoil music. Or turning ones head means noise way over the music.

No cable noise, it's silent. Stock cable is pretty good all round actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back