Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 22, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #4,021 of 12,974
This was the response I got:
"If the only amp used was the chord TT2 it's going to sound vastly different than most typical amp setups. The chord amp/dacs are amazing and great - but they have extremely low impedance which makes the mids sound much further back and our high impedance headphones very different than even most regular solid state amps that have output impedances of usually 1 or 2 ohms. The chord tt2 has an output impedance of . 042 ohms."

Actually that is wrong. It is not the low impedance that makes any change. The opposite is true: low impedance guarantees no change is made to the headphone FR.
It is the higher amp impedance that changes and can correct the hp FR.

For someone not into electronics:

The amp and hp impedances are in serial. If the hp impedance is much larger (which happens with very low impedance amps such as all the Chord ones, not only TT2) then all the energy/voltage goes to the hp. On the other hand if the amp has a significant impedance then the energy/voltage is split between the two (amp and hp).

Now what happens with most headphones is that their impedance changes with frequency. For example my Focal Clear (55 ohm) has higher impedance in the bass region (300 ohm). Therefore if plugged into a low impedance amp (near 0 ohm) the hp receives all the energy equally for all frequencies and the FR remains unchanged. But if plugged to a high impedance amp, say 100 ohm, then the hp receives 300/(100+300) on the bass region vs 55/(100+55) on the remaining spectrum. That is about 2 times stronger bass on that region.

So if the hp (or the amp) do not have a constant impedance across the spectrum, the non-zero impedance amps do actually work as an equalizer, which can correct for the hp deficient FR. It is not the low impedance amp that makes anything further back!

Edit: Btw, Empy impedance (32 ohm) is flat (varying less than 1 ohm) over the full spectrum (20 Hz - 20 KHz), so amp impedance is not relevant with Empy.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #4,022 of 12,974
Haha, they must be kidding. :) TT2 is the best DAC/headamp out there for its price, imo. What do they recommend instead? Only tube amps? In case that a headphone only sounds good with tube amps, there is some fundamental flaw, imo.

Btw, thanks for your impressions!

It’s all opinion. The TT2 can drive as can many SS and tube amps. Personally I hate the Hugo and the TT. But again, it’s all opinion.

Jun 22, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #4,023 of 12,974
Will you have any potential new pad designs there for people to test out?

Sorry, the new Empyrean pad is still under development and can't make it to the CanJam SoCal yet. We shall keep the Empyrean community informed when the pad is ready for public audition.:beerchug:

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jun 22, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #4,024 of 12,974
Which woo audio you are using ?

The Empyrean is paired with Woo WA8 in the Canjam SoCal

CanJam SoCal 2019 EMP with WA8.jpg

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jun 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #4,025 of 12,974
This was the response I got:
"If the only amp used was the chord TT2 it's going to sound vastly different than most typical amp setups. The chord amp/dacs are amazing and great - but they have extremely low impedance which makes the mids sound much further back and our high impedance headphones very different than even most regular solid state amps that have output impedances of usually 1 or 2 ohms. The chord tt2 has an output impedance of . 042 ohms. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, it just makes the setup a much better match for low impedance headphones. I've made similar comments to zmf owners about the Rupert Neve amp because it has an extremely low output impedance. Again this isn't a good or bad thing, just worth listening to other solid states and amps without such a high damping factor before reaching a final conclusion regarding our headphones."
Well my understanding was low impedance of amp is a good thing as it doesn’t impact the FR of headphones. In fact we should be careful with pairing the headphones with amp that has high impedence. So if we go by this logic then TT2 shouldn’t pair well with Sennheiser as well, right?

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #4,026 of 12,974
Well my understanding was low impedance of amp is a good thing as it doesn’t impact the FR of headphones. In fact we should be careful with pairing the headphones with amp that has high impedence. So if we go by this logic then TT2 shouldn’t pair well with Sennheiser as well, right?
I am not quite sure to be honest. I was really surprised at this answer from ZMF as in my experience the TT2 can drive pretty much anything very well, even 300 ohms headphones. The sound it outputs of course can be a matter of personal preference. (I loved it.)
That said, I haven't tried ZMF headphones on other amps, so I can't test the validity of these statements above. I just simply shared the manufacturers argument why they think the TT2 is not a good pairing with ZMF cans. Which they think might be the reason for me being a bit underwhelmed by them.

Let's get back to the Empyrean. Hopefully my pair will arrive by Wednesday. Longest days to wait ever. :)

Jun 22, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #4,027 of 12,974
Well my understanding was low impedance of amp is a good thing as it doesn’t impact the FR of headphones. In fact we should be careful with pairing the headphones with amp that has high impedence.

I agree. If a headphone sounds bad with low impedance headphone amps, it is not the amp which is to blame. Thanks to Anto, Mircea and Pavlo for making the Empyrean easy to drive, efficient and with low impedance!

Let's get back to the Empyrean. Hopefully my pair will arrive by Wednesday. Longest days to wait ever. :)

You will be well rewarded for your wait! :ksc75smile:

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #4,029 of 12,974
How does everybody feel about these versus the LCD 4Z that have heard them? And through the hugo 2 if you could be so kind:wink:

Hugo2 sounds great, even fantastic with the Empyrean by itself. I tend to prefer the Alcantara pads with it tho, not sure why. I felt like on the Tazzy I lost detail when I came from the Utopia using those pads but I don't feel the same way on the Hugo for whatever reason, and it's clear the Empyrean's bass is better with them on very detailled dacs. I dunno. My brain gets confused as to what it likes more sometimes :)

I have to say I love the pad system on the Empyrean. It's so cool and useful. I am looking forward to the the third pad option to see if it can give another option.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #4,033 of 12,974
Which woo audio you are using ?

FYI, I heard my Empyrean at length on my WA22 (currently F.S. here--because of size/weight, not sound, which is excellent). A very nice pairing...

The Empyrean sounds good out of just about every amp I tried. But something special comes out in the mids & treble w/a good tube amp.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #4,034 of 12,974
The Ether 2 isn’t even in the same ballpark. I had them for two weeks and then sent then back to MrSpeakers for a refund.
Gently disagree. To my ears, different sounds, but each has it's strengths.

Your ears, my ears I guess.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #4,035 of 12,974
Gently disagree. To my ears, different sounds, but each has it's strengths.

Your ears, my ears I guess.

As I’ve said many times, everyone hears differently and has their own opinion, and that’s why it’s important to listen to something on your own. There are so many variables. Cable, DAC , amp, your own ears, and your own musical tastes.

BTW, i’ll give you a great deal on a ether flow open with 1.1 upgrade and upgraded cable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back