Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 24, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #4,036 of 12,975
Gently disagree. To my ears, different sounds, but each has it's strengths.

Your ears, my ears I guess.
I have a solid state (no tubes) Yamaha S2100 Integrated amp with my Empyreans. This one has a built in headphone amp they say is equivalent to a separate headphone amp costing $600 - $800. My Empyreans sound great with this amp. The Yamaha S2100 weighs over 50 lbs and is a throw back to the large amplifier/receivers from the 70s and 80s. It seems that everyone here uses tube amps for their headphones. I have never listened to headphones paired with a tube amp, and am not interested to do so, meaning that I am delighted with my large Yamaha amp. Does anyone here also use a large solid state integrated amp like mine?

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #4,037 of 12,975
I have a solid state (no tubes) Yamaha S2100 Integrated amp with my Empyreans. This one has a built in headphone amp they say is equivalent to a separate headphone amp costing $600 - $800. My Empyreans sound great with this amp. The Yamaha S2100 weighs over 50 lbs and is a throw back to the large amplifier/receivers from the 70s and 80s. It seems that everyone here uses tube amps for their headphones. I have never listened to headphones paired with a tube amp, and am not interested to do so, meaning that I am delighted with my large Yamaha amp. Does anyone here also use a large solid state integrated amp like mine?

I do.

I have some tube amps as well, but I dont use them atm. One is for a speaker system I cant use and the other just isn’t as good as the other integrated amps I have. I am sure there are great tube systems out there tho.

Solid State is here to stay :wink:

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #4,038 of 12,975
Oh, happy Monday! My Empyrean’s are out for delivery, two days sooner than expected! The music is queued up, bring on the Emps!

Gratz brother, heaven is just a few days away.!

I made the mistake of over analysing at first, wondering if I had wasted 3k and it was not till I chilled out and just let them play that I know they worth every penny.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #4,040 of 12,975
As I’ve said many times, everyone hears differently and has their own opinion, and that’s why it’s important to listen to something on your own. There are so many variables. Cable, DAC , amp, your own ears, and your own musical tastes...
Agree -- that's where 'your ears, my ears' comes from.
...BTW, i’ll give you a great deal on a ether flow open with 1.1 upgrade and upgraded cable :)
Thanks, but no thanks -- then I'd have two EFO 1.1 w/ upgraded cables to sell :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #4,041 of 12,975
Well, my Emps are in my house, but they are dead on arrival. There is no sound out of the left channel. I swapped the plugs to confirm the issue was not the cable. Hopefully my dealer will send a replacement pair soon. If not, I may just return for refund. Not a happy camper!

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #4,043 of 12,975

whew. I don't have one weighing near that much! I have plugged my empyreans into my marantz 2270, while it still sounded good i was much happier with my actual headphone setup. i am using an spl phonitor x paired with a schiit yggdrasil and i couldnt be happier with the sound quality!

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #4,044 of 12,975
Well, my Emps are in my house, but they are dead on arrival. There is no sound out of the left channel. I swapped the plugs to confirm the issue was not the cable. Hopefully my dealer will send a replacement pair soon. If not, I may just return for refund. Not a happy camper!
I guess you will get the replacement pair. Too bad but this is first issue with Empyrean quality reported I guess. Do you see the QC card inside the suitcase and the date it was performed.

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #4,048 of 12,975
I know how you feel, I had the same experience with a Focal Clear. It is painful.
While back then I heard about four driver failures of the Clear, this is the first one with the Empy. I am sure your dealer will sort it out.
(I hope mine arrives on Wednesday in perfect condition. Can't wait.)

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #4,050 of 12,975
It will get sorted out. There’s no way a dealer isn’t going to exchange it

The dealer I use is awesome. They have already emailed a return label. After sleeping on it, I decided to return the Emps and continue to enjoy what I already own. It is too much of a hassle sending stuff back and forth and waiting for return product, especially given that the warranty is only a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back