Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 9, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #2,596 of 12,974
there are indeed conspicuous consumers but i doubt that it applies here...more so in things like watches or cars which people can show off...nobody knows what a high priced HP looks like lol.....I do think they would sell quite a few more at 1900

Agreed, its much harder to brag about the cost of an Abyss 1266 than to brag about a Rolex. Especially when people actually look at the two.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #2,597 of 12,974
Agreed, its much harder to brag about the cost of an Abyss 1266 than to brag about a Rolex. Especially when people actually look at the two.

You guys are underestimating the role of a cyber space. It is increasingly important.
But I think bragging one's rigs is okay, unless one is disrespectful on others.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #2,598 of 12,974

A non-audiophile friend of mine listened to my DAVE w/ Utopia and his reaction was wow that sounds amazing, what'd it cost like $500?

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #2,600 of 12,974
there are indeed conspicuous consumers but i doubt that it applies here...more so in things like watches or cars which people can show off...nobody knows what a high priced HP looks like lol.....I do think they would sell quite a few more at 1900

It doesn’t have to be conspicuous, just knowing that one owns an expensive TOTL thing can provide satisfaction. I’ve also noticed that people will sometimes buy expensive things they couldn’t afford when they were younger, to cross them off a sort of mental wish list that may have been in their head for decades.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #2,602 of 12,974
I would say that a hobby would be seriously considered bad (not joking bad like as you say we were talking about) when it got to the point that it was costing you more money than you could afford to maintain it but you can't stop yourself from increasing expenditure.

It is very easy for a hobby to become an addiction as well; good example of that would be starting to gamble as a hobby and then becoming destitute because you spent all your money and got into debt from excess gambling.

I would really hope than no one in this thread or this forum fits into that category though as financial difficulties can be a real danger to mental and physical health. At the end of the day no matter how good something might sound or how good it might feel to purchase something if you can't afford it without missing out on a necessity or requiring a loan/credit card you can't realistically afford then please don't do it!

Too late...

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #2,603 of 12,974
Let’s bring the thread back to Empyrean impressions.

So I’ve had mine for a few weeks and every time I listen, I’m even more impressed. After the newness, the novelty of it, the influence of other people saying how good it sounds, has worn off, it is even more amazing than ever. I’ve never had a headphone or any component for that matter that has done so much for my system.

It seems that every component will be good at something, but then sacrifices in other areas. For instance, great highs, but poor bass, great bass but rolled off highs, great soundstage, but sounds bright. In addition, it even plays lousy recordings well. The Empyrean does everything!!

If anyone is on the fence due to money, that’s one thing, but if you’re on the fence due to not being sure of how it sounds, just buy it. You will NOT be disappointed.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #2,604 of 12,974
Let’s bring the thread back to Empyrean impressions.

So I’ve had mine for a few weeks and every time I listen, I’m even more impressed. After the newness, the novelty of it, the influence of other people saying how good it sounds, has worn off, it is even more amazing than ever. I’ve never had a headphone or any component for that matter that has done so much for my system.

It seems that every component will be good at something, but then sacrifices in other areas. For instance, great highs, but poor bass, great bass but rolled off highs, great soundstage, but sounds bright. In addition, it even plays lousy recordings well. The Empyrean does everything!!

If anyone is on the fence due to money, that’s one thing, but if you’re on the fence due to not being sure of how it sounds, just buy it. You will NOT be disappointed.

I think you have to be careful about the last paragraph. A headphone that sounds great to many people or even most people won’t necessarily sound great to everyone.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #2,605 of 12,974
I think you have to be careful about the last paragraph. A headphone that sounds great to many people or even most people won’t necessarily sound great to everyone.

That’s true. However I really feel that unless someone is looking for a sterile, clinical and analytical headphone, and not musical, then that could be the case.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #2,606 of 12,974
I would really hope than no one in this thread or this forum fits into that category though as financial difficulties can be a real danger to mental and physical health. At the end of the day no matter how good something might sound or how good it might feel to purchase something if you can't afford it without missing out on a necessity or requiring a loan/credit card you can't realistically afford then please don't do it!

Very wise advice! Financial management should be required in high school. (maybe they offer it at this point). I know of so many people that spend twice what they earn.

Back to the Meze....this IS a major purchase for most. Please do your due diligence.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,608 of 12,974
A non-audiophile friend of mine listened to my DAVE w/ Utopia and his reaction was wow that sounds amazing, what'd it cost like $500?

That's pretty funny!

I have a 9-10 headphones, enough so anyone walking in my office notices (several are large/impressive). Years ago I had a big 2-channel stereo system, high-end speakers the size of small refrigerators, tube amps, etc. In both cases, I get 2 types of civilian reaction:
  • (rare, usually male pals) "Wow! Can I hear that?"
  • (most often) "You're out of your freakin' mind!"
If I get an Empyrean, it will only full this same-old-thing phenomenon.

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #2,610 of 12,974
Haha yes that was my response exactly.. honestly felt embarrassed to tell him the true cost.

I don't mind telling people what my expensive stuff costs if I know they can afford it. Sometimes that leads to an interesting discussion. But I don't like telling them if I know they can't afford it, because that likely makes a lot of people feel worse about their financial situation.

There's a threshold aspect to this too. If someone can afford to buy just about all of the things they really want, the fact that some people are much richer than them may not really bother them. I put myself in this category - I'm glad that I can buy whatever headphones I want, but I don't feel deprived that I shouldn't really be shopping for private jets and sizable yachts. With the right perspective and discipline, there can be a point where you feel you have enough, and don't need to keep wanting more.

All of this said, I predict that I'll wind up buying the Empyrean at some point, based on the reviews so far and how much I like the 99 Classics. I guess I do have some degree of addiction ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back