Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 9, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #2,626 of 12,974
I still say something is off. It looks like all of these headphones for sale don’t have more than 10 hours on them. One says 2 1/2 hours I think.

Heck, 10 hours doesn’t even get your past the glow of a purchase which overshadows how something actually sounds and you like it regardless.

It’s kind of like going out with pretty girl and you really like her at first because she looks so hot, and when that wears off you realize later she’s crazy.

I agree, something is off, I don't think most people on head-fi can afford to drop $3k on a product that's been so heavily delayed and sell it within the week of its arrival for a loss.

Maybe I'm far too suspicious.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #2,628 of 12,974
I wonder if is vendors skirting the rules of the For Sale Forum. Jude would have to into that.
What a strange comment. At least one seller I recognize from a German forum, and he plainly does not like the Empyrean.

I myself listened to it for 30min. I loved the build quality. Sound-wise, wasn’t sure yet. Will give them a second chance but they will need to offer something which neither the Utopia nor z1r has.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #2,630 of 12,974
I'm not surprised. The Empyrean is for sure a great headphone but doesn't fit all of us. If you like headphones with a little bit more energy in the mids or upper frequencies, the Empyrean should not be your first choice.
Means if you are a Stax (except 007) or HD800(S) lover, keep your fingers away from Empyrean :wink:. Except you are looking for a headphone with a completely different tonal tuning.

That's just my opinion.
Yep. I recently had the same experience with the Ether 2.

It's been getting all these rave reviews, and I did like the Ether Flow Open quite a bit. But when I heard it for myself on gear I was familiar with, it was immediately apparent that it definitely wasn't for me. It was waaaay too warm and soft sounding IMHO.

And now it looks like Meze decided to go with the much more mellow tuning of the two different versions I heard last year, which I went into detail about here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...-array-headphone.871859/page-24#post-14162205

For anyone who prefers their headphones to have a more lively tuning, this is a huge missed opportunity. This could easily be resolved by offering two versions of the Empyrean, one with the lively tuning and one with the mellow tuning.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #2,631 of 12,974
Yep. I recently had the same experience with the Ether 2.

It's been getting all these rave reviews, and I did like the Ether Flow Open quite a bit. But when I heard it for myself on gear I was familiar with, it was immediately apparent that it definitely wasn't for me. It was waaaay too warm and soft sounding IMHO.

And now it looks like Meze decided to go with the much more mellow tuning of the two different versions I heard last year, which I went into detail about here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...-array-headphone.871859/page-24#post-14162205

For anyone who prefers their headphones to have a more lively tuning, this is a huge missed opportunity. This could easily be resolved by offering two versions of the Empyrean, one with the lively tuning and one with the mellow tuning.

Ah. I compared ether 2 and the empyrean side by side, and Ether 2 was noticeably more lively than the empyrean (with the velour pads) from the mids to the upper mids.

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #2,632 of 12,974
Well in a way they did by offering two different ear pads.

I do know what you mean about the Ether 2, but that’s the faulty of the reviewers. Especially when they said it has such great bass. I have the Ether Flow Open and bought the Ether 2, but sent them back to Mrspeakers for refund. I thought that it was not great sounding at all.

I bought the Empyrean on a whim and love it. Selling my EFO. The Empyrean gives me the sound I’ve had always been looking for in a headphone.

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #2,633 of 12,974
Ah. I compared ether 2 and the empyrean side by side, and Ether 2 was noticeably more lively than the empyrean (with the velour pads) from the mids to the upper mids.
YearlyEmptyCottontail-size_restricted.gif

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #2,634 of 12,974
Totally agree... this specific friend would not be able to afford it so I didn't want to go down that path. Another friend has a Panerai Luminor that nearly costs the same as my entire setup, I always tease him that my Seiko tells time just the same and he teases me that his AirPods play music just the same... go figure, it's interesting where people find joy and value in spending their money.

I drive at $1,200 car, but most of my headphones and digital audio players cost more than that. I am as happy with an old 2004 Malibu as I would be with any other car, but when it comes to my music equipment, it has to be perfect.

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #2,635 of 12,974
What a strange comment. At least one seller I recognize from a German forum, and he plainly does not like the Empyrean.

I myself listened to it for 30min. I loved the build quality. Sound-wise, wasn’t sure yet. Will give them a second chance but they will need to offer something which neither the Utopia nor z1r has.

Please keep us posted

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #2,637 of 12,974
Got my EMP yesterday, and loving then.
The sound is extremely smooth, and for sure have a mellow flavor. Siblience is entirely absent. Some emphasis on bass. They are not for people who like highly energetic trebles. There is a touch of Utopia's signature in it to me.

I think EMP will complement my Susvara and hd800s well.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #2,640 of 12,974
I'm not surprised. The Empyrean is for sure a great headphone but doesn't fit all of us. If you like headphones with a little bit more energy in the mids or upper frequencies, the Empyrean should not be your first choice.
Means if you are a Stax (except 007) or HD800(S) lover, keep your fingers away from Empyrean :wink:. Except you are looking for a headphone with a completely different tonal tuning.

That's just my opinion.

And why not anyway?
Please let everyone have their own experience, otherwise only prejudices will be generated!
In any case, I find it worth listening to other headphones without prejudice.
There could be an aha effect and you can get what you were missing so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back