Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,582 of 12,974
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #2,585 of 12,974
0205190913a_HDR.jpg

The Audiobooks hobby isn't too bad...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #2,586 of 12,974
What are the criteria for a hobby being considered bad? I look at the benefit/cost ratio and associated opportunity cost, recognizing that benefit can be highly subjective. With audio stuff, the marginal benefit/cost ratio is the thing to watch for, since diminishing returns can become large and we may subjectively perceive things that aren't real.

(Yes, I know you guys are just kidding around, but the question is interesting and worth reflecting on when considering headphones that cost over $3K.)

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #2,587 of 12,974
What are the criteria for a hobby being considered bad? I look at the benefit/cost ratio and associated opportunity cost, recognizing that benefit can be highly subjective. With audio stuff, the marginal benefit/cost ratio is the thing to watch for, since diminishing returns can become large and we may subjectively perceive things that aren't real.

(Yes, I know you guys are just kidding around, but the question is interesting and worth reflecting on when considering headphones that cost over $3K.)

I would say that a hobby would be seriously considered bad (not joking bad like as you say we were talking about) when it got to the point that it was costing you more money than you could afford to maintain it but you can't stop yourself from increasing expenditure.

It is very easy for a hobby to become an addiction as well; good example of that would be starting to gamble as a hobby and then becoming destitute because you spent all your money and got into debt from excess gambling.

I would really hope than no one in this thread or this forum fits into that category though as financial difficulties can be a real danger to mental and physical health. At the end of the day no matter how good something might sound or how good it might feel to purchase something if you can't afford it without missing out on a necessity or requiring a loan/credit card you can't realistically afford then please don't do it!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #2,588 of 12,974
I would say that a hobby would be seriously considered bad (not joking bad like as you say we were talking about) when it got to the point that it was costing you more money than you could afford to maintain it but you can't stop yourself from increasing expenditure. I would really hope than no one in this thread or this forum fits into that category though as financial difficulties can be a real danger to mental and physical health. At the end of the day no matter how good something might sound if you can't afford it without missing out on a necessity or requiring a loan/credit card then please don't do it!

That sounds like addiction. I do actually often see people in head-fi talking about saving up for expensive gear. I agree with you - if expensive gear is a financial stretch, best to stick to gear one can comfortably afford. A headphone and DAC/amp that sound really good can be had for less than $1K. Meze's own 99 Classics for $300 is very good and more than adequate for enjoyment of music with high fidelity.

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #2,589 of 12,974
That sounds like addiction. I do actually often see people in head-fi talking about saving up for expensive gear. I agree with you - if expensive gear is a financial stretch, best to stick to gear one can comfortably afford. A headphone and DAC/amp that sound really good can be had for less than $1K. Meze's own 99 Classics for $300 is very good and more than adequate for enjoyment of music with high fidelity.

Funny you mention that lol. I added a quick edit before you posted about it becoming an addition, great minds think alike? :p

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #2,590 of 12,974

it's the same with cycling. no one needs the $12,000 13lb bike except for Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas. but your average Joe will purchase the TOTL performing model...

(btw I own 7 bikes--3 road bikes, 1 cyclocross bike, 1 MTB, 1 time trial bike, 1 single-speed commuter)

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #2,591 of 12,974
it's the same with cycling. no one needs the $12,000 13lb bike except for Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas. but your average Joe will purchase the TOTL performing model...

(btw I own 7 bikes--3 road bikes, 1 cyclocross bike, 1 MTB, 1 time trial bike, 1 single-speed commuter)

Actually your average (rich) Joe will actually purchase a bike better than the pros because they have a 14.99 lbs weight limit .

When it comes to TOTL and high-end stuff, it's insane amounts of marketing (new tech breakthroughs, content, white papers, etc.). I used to work in the cycling/bicycle industry....so much marketing spent on wind tunnel, white papers, carbon fiber spec, etc. since consumers who buy TOTL/high-end stuff eat that type of content.

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #2,592 of 12,974
Actually your average (rich) Joe will actually purchase a bike better than the pros because they have a 14.99 lbs weight limit .

When it comes to TOTL and high-end stuff, it's insane amounts of marketing (new tech breakthroughs, content, white papers, etc.). I used to work in the cycling/bicycle industry....so much marketing spent on wind tunnel, white papers, carbon fiber spec, etc. since consumers who buy TOTL/high-end stuff eat that type of content.

newest toy is a Specialized Venge Pro... goes nice with my Empyreans

Feb 8, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #2,593 of 12,974

Sometimes people want to buy expensive TOTL stuff because it feels good to own the best stuff. And making that stuff more expensive will sometimes boost sales, because people subconsciously perceive price to be an indicator of quality (and certainly exclusivity - not as satisfying if everyone else has the best stuff too).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Empyrean would have more sales at $3200 than $1900.

Feb 8, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #2,594 of 12,974
Sometimes people want to buy expensive TOTL stuff because it feels good to own the best stuff. And making that stuff more expensive will sometimes boost sales, because people subconsciously perceive price to be an indicator of quality (and certainly exclusivity - not as satisfying if everyone else has the best stuff too).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Empyrean would have more sales at $3200 than $1900.

I know. I’m waiting for the price increase before I buy. :)

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #2,595 of 12,974

there are indeed conspicuous consumers but i doubt that it applies here...more so in things like watches or cars which people can show off...nobody knows what a high priced HP looks like lol.....I do think they would sell quite a few more at 1900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back