Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 1, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #2,479 of 12,974
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #2,480 of 12,974
wonder what your fav amp or dac/amp is with empyrean, was wondering if ifi idsd pro would be a good choice or chord tt v2

i have chord qutest but i sold my ifi ican pro, so wonder what to do now

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #2,481 of 12,974
wonder what your fav amp or dac/amp is with empyrean, was wondering if ifi idsd pro would be a good choice or chord tt v2

i have chord qutest but i sold my ifi ican pro, so wonder what to do now

My demo yesterday was with a Chord Hugo TT2 and it sounded pretty fantastic but as I didn't use another amp I can't really offer any comparison. To be honest though the Empyrean is so sensitive it shouldn't make a massive difference other than for personal preference from tuning with tubes vs solid state etc.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,482 of 12,974
My demo yesterday was with a Chord Hugo TT2 and it sounded pretty fantastic but as I didn't use another amp I can't really offer any comparison. To be honest though the Empyrean is so sensitive it shouldn't make a massive difference other than for personal preference from tuning with tubes vs solid state etc.

i hope we get some real great advises of what is the best price performance gears to add to use meze with, that makes the meze sound its best. right now being without an amp sucks so I have to wait for some solid suggestions to think of my next move

What I seek is a musical sound, that is detailed and brings the best details in mids and highs without being sharp sounding or cold like some sabre dac/amps

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #2,483 of 12,974
i hope we get some real great advises of what is the best price performance gears to add to use meze with, that makes the meze sound its best. right now being without an amp sucks so I have to wait for some solid suggestions to think of my next move

What I seek is a musical sound, that is detailed and brings the best details in mids and highs without being sharp sounding or cold like some sabre dac/amps

That’s exactly how I prefer my sound, too, which is why I bought the Empyrean in the first place. Based on how everyone keeps describing them as detailed but smooth, somewhat dark, or not harsh at all, I’d say even a Sabre Dac would probably sound very good with them and maybe even better than tubes.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,484 of 12,974
That’s exactly how I prefer my sound, too, which is why I bought the Empyrean in the first place. Based on how everyone keeps describing them as detailed but smooth, somewhat dark, or not harsh at all, I’d say even a Sabre Dac would probably sound very good with them and maybe even better than tubes.

any suggestions ???

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #2,485 of 12,974
any suggestions ???

My Empyrean don’t arrive until tomorrow, so I haven’t even heard them yet. So assuming that most of the early impressions of the Empyrean are true and reliable, all I’m saying is that you should have a large swath of amp choices because it doesn’t sound like the Empyrean will be very picky with synergy like the Sennheiser 800, for example.

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #2,486 of 12,974
My Empyrean don’t arrive until tomorrow, so I haven’t even heard them yet. So assuming that most of the early impressions of the Empyrean are true and reliable, all I’m saying is that you should have a large swath of amp choices because it doesn’t sound like the Empyrean will be very picky with synergy like the Sennheiser 800, for example.

Jealous! Probably won't be getting mine for a few weeks :deadhorse: Hope you enjoy :D

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #2,487 of 12,974
"It’s all personal opinion. It doesn’t make a difference how many review and love something. If I, or other people don’t like, it it’s a personal opinion. To be honest, I don’t no anyone that likes the sound of the grating high on the Utopia. For me, it is. It is not a musical headphone.

Why is it selling off prices so much or packaged with another product? You don’t see that happening with LCD-4." -
ken6217 (i was unable to quote your post in my reply)

isn't expressing our personal opinions and seeking the opinions of others what we do here for the most part? of course whether we end up liking a headphone or not ultimately comes down to our personal preference and the state of our hearing, but that doesn't negate the fact that the utopia has been acclaimed by consumers and reviewers. you are entitled to your opinion of the utopia's treble presentation and musicality (whatever that term means to you), but i can't relate to it tbh, and there are undoubtedly many other utopia owners who would disagree with your assessment.

with regard to your question about the utopia's selling price and special offers, you would have to ask focal or an authorised dealer about that, but that's beside the point really.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #2,489 of 12,974
any suggestions ???

I heard the Empyrean at NYC Canjam last year and haven't been able to get it out of my head ever since. Will hear again later this month.
Not sure if the final production HP sounds different than the 2 pair I heard--the sound was rather amazing.

I'm a big fan of multibit digital--particularly NOS--and that's what I will feed the empyrean if I ever get one. It's a planar, so a good SS amp is probably the best opening move...such as the amazing & versatile V281 (Arthur can help with that, too!).

But honestly, if you want a DAC and amp in one box said to sound very very good, it's the Audio GD R2R-11 (NOS DAC + strong SE HP amp). It costs all of $350 before shipping. I'm somehow resisting the urge to get one, though it's the last thing I really need. Just want to hear it. Many here love that sound.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #2,490 of 12,974
Not sure how you can generalize like that. Would depend on the particular amp.
I hooked my new Empyreans tonight but they will need to break in for a few days before they will loosen up. I figured I’d listen for ten minutes then run them all night. Well, two hours later I took them off. First impression is they are fantastic. Never heard 3D imaging out of cans before. Best soundstage ever. Rich robust sound. Can’t wait till tomorrow. I’m using a full tube amp by Manley Audio called the Absolute. I’m sure they’d sound as good with a great SS amp like the Violectric V281. SS or Tube? If it’s a well designed amp the Empyreans will sound great. Time to buy girls and boys. Stop dreamin

**** I’m using an EMM Labs DA2 DAC
**** impedance is 32 ohms
**** some have said they sound a bit on the dark side. I did not hear that at all with my set-up

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back