Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 30, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #2,431 of 12,974

I can say the empyreans are my favorite headphones I own. :) and certainly well worth the price imo. The bass is impressive! I think the z1r’s have a touch better bass response but empyreans are easily the best planar type headphone in the bass department, certainly to “wow” anyone. The susvara’s need a powerful amp to experience them properly, the empyreans are incredibly efficient and most any amp can handle them however they scale up to a wonderful amp.

I see two Empyreans in that picture! Damn!

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2,432 of 12,974
Very hard to find a similar pair of headphones such the Empyrean that can do so many things right: beautiful design, comfort, sound, great materials used, leather removable ear pads.
This is not just another high end headphone , is a whole different one :)
it is another high-end headphone and another option for those who are interested in acquiring one

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #2,433 of 12,974
And not the good part of 2016 either.
well the utopia has been widely acclaimed, regardless of what you think of it. if the empyrean garners similar praise from reviewers and consumers, then it will be in august company.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #2,434 of 12,974
He actually has two Empyreans if you noticed.

Bimmer100, which 4 pin cable is on it?

That cable in the photo paired with empyrean is a draug3 copper with two tone braid. Black and translucent black. Dark copper triangle splitter with satin carbon fiber insert, black mini xlr sand black eidolic 4pin xlr.

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #2,435 of 12,974
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #2,436 of 12,974
Have you heard the susvara by chance? The way you describe the empyrean is basically exactly how I feel about my Susvara. I feel like I can listen to anything and have it sound good regardless of the quality of the recording. However some days I do find myself wanting a bit more bass slam. If you have any comparisons to the susvara I would greatly appreciate them.
Hi, is that your name? Very similar to mine :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #2,437 of 12,974
Thoughts on whether i should keep my Sony Z1r or trade in against the Meze Empyrean i am about to buy?If i keep Sony it will give me both closed and open Headphones but i know how good these Empyreans are and am thinking will i always be finding myself choosing these over the Sony when Headphone listening at home?

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #2,438 of 12,974
Thoughts on whether i should keep my Sony Z1r or trade in against the Meze Empyrean i am about to buy?If i keep Sony it will give me both closed and open Headphones but i know how good these Empyreans are and am thinking will i always be finding myself choosing these over the Sony when Headphone listening at home?

I am selling my Z1R and Ether Flows to fund a new headphone, possibly the Empyrean. Unless you have a loud home environment I would go with open headphones personally. I found even though I like the sound of the Z1R I always found myself using the Ether Flows or my speakers out of convenience or comfort. At the end of the day though only you can decide if it is worth keeping them for your specific home environment.

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #2,439 of 12,974
Don’t sell tour z1r’s. Just my opinion. But the z1r’s are great closed back headphones and earned a place in my permanent collection. Two pairs in fact. As my wife took the first pair for herself. And again this happened with the empyrean so we have two of each. They are very different headphones but serve the purpose. I find the z1r’s to be incredibly comfortable and great for bassheadz. My wife actually says the z1r’s are easily the most comfortable headphones she has ever worn. The empyreans are also quite good but she has to limit herself with the empyreans as they tend to have a touch too much clamping force for her small head and apparently cause a bit of tension on her jaw bone. Odd, since I don’t have this problem one bit.
But I would never get rid of the z1r’s or empyreans. They are excellent must have cans imo. :)

Of course, If you can afford it, hang on to them and keep both! It’s worth it. I would be happy with just these two pairs of headphones and nothing else. If I was required to down size my collection that is. But if I keep just one pair I may end up keeping empyreans. But the lack of having a closed back for private listening sessions would be missed. It’s essential for me at times. Open back headphones simply are not acceptable at some times... too much sound leakage. However open back always sounds best.

Anyhow, just because I love the z1r’s does not mean they sound anything like the empyreans. They are obviously different as one is open and the other is closed. They only share similarities with their incredible bass reproduction abilities. Z1r’s May have the slight edge in that regard but the z1r’s are more warm in tone and many people either love or hate these cans. I find they need to be paired with the right dac and amp to sound their best.

Try your best to hang on the the z1r’s and stretch yourself thin if need be to get a pair of empyreans too. They are essential imo.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #2,440 of 12,974
Just on my way back to work after my quick demo session. I only had time to listen to the Empyrean unfortunately but they are a pretty solid improvement over the Ether Flows to my ears. Much more impactful bass that you can really hear but it still had better texture. The mids are nice and full as well. The Treble had a nice amount of detail without ever being harsh but you could still locate all the instruments clearly.

Coming from the Ether Flows I would say the 2 biggest improvements are with the bass impact/texture, double bass sounded incredible, and the sound stage is vastly better, you can hear where everything is coming from and isolate each instrument which could be a problem with the Flows. I did occasionally find the Flows harsh as well and the Empyrean displayed none of that. Pretty sure they are my next purchase.

For reference I listed to a wide range of music include folk, metal, drum and bass, rock and indie.

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #2,441 of 12,974
Just on my way back to work after my quick demo session. I only had time to listen to the Empyrean unfortunately but they are a pretty solid improvement over the Ether Flows to my ears. Much more impactful bass that you can really hear but it still had better texture. The mids are nice and full as well. The Treble had a nice amount of detail without ever being harsh but you could still locate all the instruments clearly.

Coming from the Ether Flows I would say the 2 biggest improvements are with the bass impact/texture, double bass sounded incredible, and the sound stage is vastly better, you can hear where everything is coming from and isolate each instrument which could be a problem with the Flows. I did occasionally find the Flows harsh as well and the Empyrean displayed none of that. Pretty sure they are my next purchase.

For reference I listed to a wide range of music include folk, metal, drum and bass, rock and indie.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I own the Ether Flow's and your assessment of them exactly mirror my thoughts as well.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #2,442 of 12,974
The comments on the Z1R illustrate how much ear/brains and perceptions vary, and how that might depend on the music we listen to. I tried the Z1R at length in my home, and didn't like it at all (almost disliked it) - I thought the 99 Classics and even M50X sound much better overall.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #2,443 of 12,974
well the utopia has been widely acclaimed, regardless of what you think of it. if the empyrean garners similar praise from reviewers and consumers, then it will be in august company.[/QUOTE

It’s all personal opinion. It doesn’t make a difference how many review and love something. If I, or other people don’t like, it it’s a personal opinion. To be honest, I don’t no anyone that likes the sound of the grating high on the Utopia. For me, it is. It is not a musical headphone.

Why is it selling off prices so much or packaged with another product? You don’t see that happening with LCD-4.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #2,444 of 12,974

You make these sound like my perfect headphones. I can’t wait for mine to arrive.

Quick question. Did you listen to any acoustical music or music without much bass? If so, how did they perform? Thanks.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #2,445 of 12,974
You make these sound like my perfect headphones. I can’t wait for mine to arrive.

Quick question. Did you listen to any acoustical music or music without much bass? If so, how did they perform? Thanks.

For me, listening to just acoustical music it sounds very real and authentic. I was actually listening to James Taylor’s greatest hits last night and it sounded fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back