Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 30, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,416 of 12,974
Well, after several weeks I finally have both the Meze upgrade cable 4,4 and the Silvergarde S3C from Norne. In the meantime my DX200 developed a battery issue that switched off the player after 2 min if not connected to mains (Paul from Ibasso was really helpful in identifying it) so not much listening so far. But here are my initial conclusions using Alcantara pads + DX200 with AMP8 (Analog Balanced 4,4):
  • AMP8 is very different from AMP1 SE which I used for my previous listening of the Empyreans + Std 6,3 cable
  • Meze upgrade cable:
    • It's beautifully crafted and it matches perfectly the Empyrean.
    • It sounds fuller and at the same time clearer, you can distinguish more into the layers of the music
    • Pianos sound more natural and you can easily see recording differences from a neutral approach (Till Fellner "Well tempered Clavier" at ECM) to a bright, "nicer", but less body approach (George Winston "December")
    • Classical big ensembles sound better than never before, Karajan 1963 Beethoven cycle at 96Khz finally sounded almost up to the level of the performance. I was very frustrated with this recording till now
    • Classical Rock sounds also better, but improvement is not so big.
  • Silvergarde S3C:
    • I like a lot clear cables and the build quality of this cable is outstanding. Love the contrast with the Meze
    • Still not very much time as they arrived 2 days ago, but I am really impressed so far. I need more time, but first impressions are that the abused methapor of the "veil sound" for once is not an overstatement. More of everything, highs, mids and without losing bass. Now the Alcantara pads are not muddy anymore.
To the question, Why Alcantara? because they are muddier than the Leather Pads, therefore I should be able to hear better the improvements if any.

Will come later with more impressions

How would you compare the sound of the Silvergarde to the silver upgraded cable from Empyrean using the same components so that it is apples to apples comparison.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,419 of 12,974
Let me think about this for a couple minutes....is this some sacarsm ?
Musicday already answered.
My own response is that he is totally right, these are by far the best sounding headphones I have and they make a match in heaven with the DX208 (and still have not paired them with AMP4 which is my favourite). When I work at home I usually listen to music and sometimes I get distracted, that happened with my HEXv2 or the AFC, but now when I use the Empyreans I get so involved in the music that I have stopped listening to music as it's interfering on my work. This is how good they are.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #2,420 of 12,974
// there is likely to be a sennheiser hd800s killer out soon for like £800.

Now the question is, is that insider knowledge or speculation? lol

Are we seriously talking about pricing as a mark of classifying a headphones performances ?

People should start listening with their ears and heart instead of the pocket depth which is often scammed away by marketing Bs

I never said that they would sound any good but generally headphones are characterised, rightly or wrongly, by what price bracket they are in. I for one can't stand the sound of the Utopia and they are about twice the price of anything I currently own so clearly more money doesn't mean better sounding. On top of that "good sound" is so subjective someone is always going to have different preferences on what they think sounds the best, you could have a $50k set like the HE1 and someone could still very easily not like it down to how it is tuned.

I fully intend to demo the Empyreans before splashing any cash about anyway, I didn't have time to go to the shop today but it should be all good for tomorrow lunch. They currently have the Ether Flow, LCD4, Empyrean and a few other bits so I will try and give some impressions when I get back. It will be a very brief session though as I have to get back to work at some point :deadhorse:

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,421 of 12,974
How would you compare the sound of the Silvergarde to the silver upgraded cable from Empyrean using the same components so that it is apples to apples comparison.
Can't tell as the Meze upgrade cables are copper based made from Braided Furukawa PCUHD copper ("EMPYREAN 4.4MM BALANCED PCUHD UPGRADE CABLE" copied from their website).

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #2,423 of 12,974
What more can you tell us about your Emp experience?

For me personally, and based on how I like to hear music, this is the best headphone I've ever heard, bar none. I finally can just listen to music and not have to analyze every song. I don't have to think, this song is too bright, or not enough bass, or soundstage is too small, etc, etc. It plays well with all music that I like, be it well recorded, or something not well recorded music from the 60's. I listen mostly to Rock from the 60's to present.

I have only listened to the alacantara pads so far. I extremely happy with the sound, and so for the time being I'm not going to try the leather pads yet. I want to get used to these. I am also using a Forza Noir HPC Mk2 4 pin balanced cable with a Violectric V281 amp.

As far as the sound itself, It has amazing bottom end. Real bass and drum slam. The highs are very nice. Extended and smooth. I dislike anything that sounds bright. My previous headphones were the Ether Flow Open. I liked these because it seemed to roll off the highs and had somewhat of a muted sound. With the Empyreans, I get to hear the highs that I had been missing and I don't have to wince when I hear it. Soundstage is excellent.

These headphones are so enjoyable. I am going back and listening to a lot of the old music that I used to listen to with these do discover how much nicer they really sounded. Where I thought the original recordings sounded flat, now they don't.

I generally go through a lot of equipment because I'm never happy with the sound. I'm sure Arthur (Violectric) or John (Project86) can attest to that. That's is not the case with the Empyreans. I told Arthur today that I listened to music for 2 hours last night while doing other things on my laptop. he said, wow that's not like you. :)

So for me personally, I have found the holy grail of headphones. Of course as the saying goes, YMMY.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #2,424 of 12,974
For me personally, and based on how I like to hear music, this is the best headphone I've ever heard, bar none. I finally can just listen to music and not have to analyze every song. I don't have to think, this song is too bright, or not enough bass, or soundstage is too small, etc, etc. It plays well with all music that I like, be it well recorded, or something not well recorded music from the 60's. I listen mostly to Rock from the 60's to present.

I have only listened to the alacantara pads so far. I extremely happy with the sound, and so for the time being I'm not going to try the leather pads yet. I want to get used to these. I am also using a Forza Noir HPC Mk2 4 pin balanced cable with a Violectric V281 amp.

As far as the sound itself, It has amazing bottom end. Real bass and drum slam. The highs are very nice. Extended and smooth. I dislike anything that sounds bright. My previous headphones were the Ether Flow Open. I liked these because it seemed to roll off the highs and had somewhat of a muted sound. With the Empyreans, I get to hear the highs that I had been missing and I don't have to wince when I hear it. Soundstage is excellent.

These headphones are so enjoyable. I am going back and listening to a lot of the old music that I used to listen to with these do discover how much nicer they really sounded. Where I thought the original recordings sounded flat, now they don't.

I generally go through a lot of equipment because I'm never happy with the sound. I'm sure Arthur (Violectric) or John (Project86) can attest to that. That's is not the case with the Empyreans. I told Arthur today that I listened to music for 2 hours last night while doing other things on my laptop. he said, wow that's not like you. :)

So for me personally, I have found the holy grail of headphones. Of course as the saying goes, YMMY.
Wonderful! I too am happy and not happy after a little while. The wait for Canjam is becoming unbearable. I live, breath, music. Without it I would have nothing left.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #2,425 of 12,974

Have you heard the susvara by chance? The way you describe the empyrean is basically exactly how I feel about my Susvara. I feel like I can listen to anything and have it sound good regardless of the quality of the recording. However some days I do find myself wanting a bit more bass slam. If you have any comparisons to the susvara I would greatly appreciate them.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #2,426 of 12,974
Have you heard the susvara by chance? The way you describe the empyrean is basically exactly how I feel about my Susvara. I feel like I can listen to anything and have it sound good regardless of the quality of the recording. However some days I do find myself wanting a bit more bass slam. If you have any comparisons to the susvara I would greatly appreciate them.

I have never listened to the Susvara and so i cant compare. I can tell you though without a doubt that you won't be yearning for more bass with the Empyreans.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #2,427 of 12,974
7B83F9B7-D2F0-4809-8E4A-96B40B06FED2.jpeg

I can say the empyreans are my favorite headphones I own. :) and certainly well worth the price imo. The bass is impressive! I think the z1r’s have a touch better bass response but empyreans are easily the best planar type headphone in the bass department, certainly to “wow” anyone. The susvara’s need a powerful amp to experience them properly, the empyreans are incredibly efficient and most any amp can handle them however they scale up to a wonderful amp.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #2,428 of 12,974

I can say the empyreans are my favorite headphones I own. :) and certainly well worth the price imo. The bass is impressive! I think the z1r’s have a touch better bass response but empyreans are easily the best planar type headphone in the bass department, certainly to “wow” anyone. The susvara’s need a powerful amp to experience them properly, the empyreans are incredibly efficient and most any amp can handle them however they scale up to a wonderful amp.
Yes, thankfully I do have an amp with plenty of power for the Susvara, but no tube amps with enough power. The susvara does make me feel guilty that I can't take advantage of my full collection of amps! Hopefully I will get to demo the empyreans at canjam this summer.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #2,429 of 12,974

How did you get a copper version.. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back