Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,147 of 12,992
i know this might be a strange question, is there anything that i can wrap the leather band with, so that if i let people listen to my meze that inner lining material of the leather headband will always stay like new

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #2,150 of 12,992
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,152 of 12,992
Incidently, the alcantara pads do soften that upper bass, so they do offer an alternative sound signature - they soften the bass but they also soften the whole frequency spectrum as well as blend the instruments together more, which might improve things overall to some but they also tame down the clarity and separation of instruments. I much prefer the leather pads, they make the music louder, punchier and clearer, with more separation between instruments. The Alcantaras are far more laid back to me.

Great review! I agree with most of your findings. However, I would not call Empyrean's bass wooly and undefined (HE-1000 V1's bass IS wooly and undefined, imo), but it is for sure slower than the extremely fast Utopia. The best Empyrean pads for me personally would have all the characteristics of the leather pads, except the more neutral tonality of the alcantara pads. With the alcantara pads, the soundstage of the Empyrean is much larger than the soundstage of the Utopia, but the presentation is, as you point out correctly, more laid back with a bit less good instrument separation. Is your Empyrean fully burned in already (>150 hours)? You may experience (just like me) that with additional burn in and with more listening time the Empyrean grows on you.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #2,153 of 12,992
Great review! I agree with most of your findings. However, I would not call Empyrean's bass wooly and undefined (HE-1000 V1's bass IS wooly and undefined, imo), but it is for sure slower than the extremely fast Utopia. The best Empyrean pads for me personally would have all the characteristics of the leather pads, except the more neutral tonality of the alcantara pads. With the alcantara pads, the soundstage of the Empyrean is much larger than the soundstage of the Utopia, but the presentation is, as you point out correctly, more laid back with a bit less good instrument separation. Is your Empyrean fully burned in already (>150 hours)? You may experience (just like me) that with additional burn in and with more listening time the Empyrean grows on you.

I agree with you about the difference between the pads and their sound signatures - I think I should alter my stance on the "wooly and undefined" wording I've used as that may be too strong a term. I find the upper bass to be a touch thick, the lower bass does remain defined, about the same as the lauded LCD-4s but since to me the upper bass has a bit of overlapping energy it creeps into the midrange for me. That said, it doesn't detract from the overall clarity of the headphone. I don't agree with your take on the HE-1000 although my memory of V1 is fading - I loved the bass in the V2 and look forward to my incoming SE.

I only have about 50 hours on the Empyreans now and I'm not sure I believe in break-in ... we'll see! That said, I don't want to give the impression that I'm not entirely satisfied with them because I am - in fact, lately they are getting more use than my Utopia and LCD-4.

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,154 of 12,992
I mean let's face it there is no such thing as perfection so if you can enjoy listening to something sufficiently that you reduce the use of others that sound like a win lol :beerchug:

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #2,156 of 12,992
Jan 12, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #2,158 of 12,992
i know this might be a strange question, is there anything that i can wrap the leather band with, so that if i let people listen to my meze that inner lining material of the leather headband will always stay like new

I would use saran/plastic wrap. It might look weird, but it's easy on, easy off, and while on, that inner lining of the headband is not touching anybody else's hair, bald skull, MAGA cap, whatever.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #2,159 of 12,992
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #2,160 of 12,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back