1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone

First

Back
133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142
144 145 146 147 148
Next

Last
  1. ken6217
    Thanks!

2. Beagle
    All at the same time?

Pharmaboy likes this.
  3. bimmer100
    Sorry for double post. Darn phone

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. bimmer100
    Oh ok!! I thought you were talking about Cnc machining. As that is what I was originally talking about when I said I don’t think I’ve ever seen this done in production side of things. The level of detail is impeccable.
    And believe it’s commensurate to the level of sound quality imo. As I own too many high end flagships, and the empyreans certainly check more boxes for my preference. So at least for me, I’m happy.
    As other headphones I own that cost much more are not as enjoyable, nor as finely finished. Both sound quality and fit and finish are important to me, sound quality being the very most important, so we can agree on the obvious at least. It’s just a bonus that they happen to be so well made. Some of this I believe contributes to its excellent sound quality. Ie: isodynamic drivers
    I brought up the Cnc work as a reason for the limitation of production, likely the reason they are sold out, and the reason not many are in the USA. They can’t just bang em out and sell em rough around the edges. It’s like a supercar, lots of passion goes into the craftsmanship. Nothing wrong with that.

It comes down to these being a niche product that are definelty not going be a good match for everyone. F96C0A66-1908-4C4A-811F-70D1A8C42802.jpeg
    Star Trek - “ to go where no man has gone before!”
    7815821C-212F-4A2C-BED3-9FD1315695DB.jpeg
    Meze Audio Empyrean - “to go where no headphones have gone before “ :wink:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Antonio Meze likes this.
  5. Beagle
    And if it just becomes ostentatious for its own sake and a game for the rich, with no real improvement in sonic accuracy, I bow out.

6. up late
    i can relate to your review based on my short audition of the empyrean, tho i found the treble shelved-down relative to the mid-range and bass. both the abyss diana and utopia bested the empyrean for clarity to my ears.

7. ken6217
    Oh yea, I have a shelf of them in my house. Just joking.

Not at the same time. However the differences were enough that I could tell from memory. Btw, this is not a news shocker. I'm not the only one that says this about Audeze.

8. ken6217
    Unfortunately though the headphone doesn't play all by itself. Does your DAC, Amp, and all of the cables have since accuracy too?

Of course if you read a review on any component regardless of cost, they all say they are neutral. That is some wide definition of neutral I guess.

bimmer100 likes this.
  9. Pharmaboy
    This part of the thread is all about subjective responses to this headphone. As such, there's no right or wrong way to react.

Still, in reply to "ostentation," I must say that Meze's aspirations for this design are not solely focused on innovative driver design & best possible sonics. There's also an unusually deep aesthetic component in the design, which IMO attempts more visual innovation than any headphone I know of. The Empyrean's striking appearance was obviously influenced by certain architectural & visual design trends.

I know all that matters is sound, but sometimes the purely aesthetic aspect of design matters, as well. I regard this headphone as an artistic as well as sonic statement. Admittedly, not everyone cares about the appearance of an audio product. But for this headphone IMO, "Attention must be paid."

jinxy245 and bimmer100 like this.
  10. bimmer100
    Well said Pharmaboy! I agree. Mircea has a background in design and you can tell he has an attention to detail and incredible eye for making the product appealing as well as sounding excellent at the same time. So you summed this up in a short elegant way.

11. Beagle
    I was wondering, because significant differences in $4000 headphones would be shocking. I've been fortunate I guess. I've owned the LCD-2, 2C, Closed, X, 3 and now the MX4 and nary a problem. I also had the EL8 and that one was a bit of a mess.

12. Beagle
    Nothing is accurate.

13. rockytopwiz
    Every time I check this thread:

*lukewarm review-or a negative of the headphones

Followed by

*Well at least they look purdy

14. Hoegaardener70
    I have an ifi pro iCAN which i use together with the HD800s. Since I use the ican‘s XBass function, my HD800s sounds great.

But I am now thinking: Worth trading for a Meze Empyrean?

15. up late
    subjective responses fuel the discussion at this forum for the most part. this thread is like any other in that respect. what differentiates it is the thread topic, which is about the empyrean headphone in this instance.

i value headphones as objects as well as sound transducers. while i can appreciate the design and execution of the empyrean, its aesthetic didn't speak to me as it obviously does to you. that too is a subjective response and "As such, there's no right or wrong way to react".

First

Back
133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142
144 145 146 147 148
Next

Last