Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 7, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,711 of 12,975
ZMF headphones have had this “feature” for years. Both the Auteur and the new Verite ship with two different pads that offer different signatures, with other ZMF pads also usable to change the sound to taste. It’s nothing new. Very useful though.

I think when Meze has the same construction,buildquality and materialquality as Zmf they would have not success lol ....this is my opinion

NOMAX

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,712 of 12,975
I think when Meze has the same construction,buildquality and materialquality as Zmf they would have not success lol ....this is my opinion

NOMAX
I generally wouldn’t respond to such comments, but it’s just sad that you have to put down other products just to make ‘your favourite’ look better. There’s quite a lot of that going on in this thread it seems. That’s a shame really, a top product like the Empyrean deserves a more respectable audience. Just my opinion.

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,714 of 12,975

NOMAX

Really? Even discounting the language difference, this reads as a put-down of ZMF's construction, build quality & material qualilty. Since I know from experience that all 3 are among the very best currently available, I'm puzzled where you got this from...

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,715 of 12,975
Really? Even discounting the language difference, this reads as a put-down of ZMF's construction, build quality & material qualilty. Since I know from experience that all 3 are among the very best currently available, I'm puzzled where you got this from...
They still look like high end garage headphones. Nothing like Empyrean.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,716 of 12,975
Another quality response. I wonder how many of you guys have actually seen, let alone held a ZMF headphone? Anyway, doesn't matter, that's my last waste of breath on this topic.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,720 of 12,975
Agree with this. The term 'musical' should not be used to describe sonic quality. It is too subjective and ambiguous. For that purpose, I have extremely musical Airpods.

I agree with part of this, but...

I would generally agree. However for me, musicality does determine quality personally. So long as all the other boxes are ticked, good midrange, decent bass extension and extended treble without being ear piercing then musicality is last on the list to dictate quality and there are so many products that tick everything BUT musicality and I just don't like them.....for me musicality is very closely related to timing btw.

I agree with this: "musical" is a useful word in describing audio equipment. However, it needs a lot of context for the reader to be able to determine what the author considers "musical" as opposed to "analytical" or "dry" or "lush" or "euphonic" or any of the other squishy words we use do describe the things we hear using the words we speak.

Sorry to be off-topic, I will now return to the actual program: wishing I had a pair of Empyreans...

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,721 of 12,975
I have my analogy - the Empyreans are like adding a fine DHT (Directly Heated Triode - 300B or 2A3) amplifier to the system: Body, musicality, space and detail. So my next question is how will they sound with a DHT???? I have not used them w/ my 300B. Maybe this weekend:ksc75smile:

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #1,723 of 12,975

I can totally understand that our aesthetic is not for everyone. We craft our headphones using techniques that were used on vintage instruments and they are built to look as such, handcrafted. I know this is rare in a world of machine manufactured and injection molded parts and we just do things differently at ZMF (as does Meze!) and I can fully appreciate that aesthetic is not for everyone.

But I will say our entire staff puts their heart into the craftsmanship of our headphones and we combine the handcrafted nature of our headphone with first rate aural response to combine an old world look with modern sonic fidelity. I'm so proud that we've been able to grow and show more people our work in the last few years and I pledge do so for years to come.

I, alike many other's on this thread hope we can stay on topic about the Empyrean, it's one of my favorite headphones from the last year, truly groundbreaking in many ways - one of the few headphones I always make sure to listen to at each show because I love it so much. Antonio is a master headphone craftsman and inspires me every time I see his new work and his team is full of amazing people. The Empyrean is one of the few headphones that I am looking to add to my collection - it's simply brilliant!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #1,724 of 12,975
Why are there so many distributors/dealers populating in this thread? Do you guys get a big cut?
So many? I see three dealer/distributors plus Antonio. Is that a lot?

Of course they get a cut — why else would they be in the business. And I expect that a new, hot product like this will be very profitable — no need to discount.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #1,725 of 12,975
So many? I see three dealer/distributors plus Antonio. Is that a lot?

Of course they get a cut — why else would they be in the business. And I expect that a new, hot product like this will be very profitable — no need to discount.

IMO, There are too many posts from dealer/distributors. Too much noise for a new product. I would like to hear more real impressions from fellow headfiers, not noise.

I don't know how much a dealer cuts from an individual product. But if a dealer gets a larger cut from a certain product, he would be biased toward that product. For that reason, anything comes from a dealer is noise to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back