Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 8, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,743 of 12,975
No its much brighter sounding...the leather Ear pads are for the bassheads....and also much darker sounding:)

NOMAX

I've just send back the demo pair. Once I receive the new pair I will check again. My impressions were exactly the opposite

Nomax is right, Alcantara is more neutral, leather pads are darker (upper bass / lower mid hump, treble a bit recessed). Nevertheless, I listen more with the leather pads, very enjoyable and different.

My findings differ somewhat a little than what's been thus far reported. First, I think it's important in the future that owners specify which pads were used for listening impressions because both pads give off vastly different sound signature. I cannot emphasize this enough, it's like having two completely different headphones.

Generally speaking, the alcantara pads have a wider and deeper soundstage, with more recessed vocals and instruments. Everything sounds 'grander', as though one chose a 'concert hall' filter. There's greater reverb, the singer is placed further back, and instruments sound more distant. The alcantara pads also sound distinctly darker and warmer- vocals and instruments are more muted. Instrument separation is excellent. Bass is also more emphasized with the alcantara. There's more bloom, more heft from 20-50hz. The grand soundstage, and darker more bassy sound helps create a much more dark atmospheric ambiance. The alcantara pads sound particularly fantastic for more melancholic music, such as Paper Trails by Darkside. The soundstage on the alcantara pads is remarkable... also the pads seem to mesh with the boomier lower end, giving a more pleasing ear massage. It's like being cocooned in a luxurious soundscape.

On the other hand, music on the leather pads instantly sound a little more closed in, less 'hall' like, and probably more accurate to the source. There's significantly more energy in the midrange and treble where a lot of the magic happens. It comes across as brighter, more detailed (though never harsh or sibilant), but also more 'in your face'. For instance, vocals, and instruments like the guitar (acoustic and electric) are more emphasized, more forward. In the very same song by Darkside, you can feel the energy of the electric guitar a lot more than w the alcantara pads. There's more grunt, more growl, more crunch... The same thing happens w vocals. Cues are a lot more apparent, and for someone like me who listens to a lot of rock music, the overly smooth and more veiled midrange in the alcantara pads is an unacceptable trade off. Leather pads literally 'rock' more than the alcantara ones. Classical music definitely sounds better with leather pads.

There's sometimes more mid bass punch with the leather pads. Bass notes are also clearer, tighter, more rounded, and easier to follow. I think that's why some users like @xxx1313 and @Nomax found the leather pads more bassy whereas Lieven from Headfonia (@Ultrainferno ) thought otherwise. For me, there's no question that alcantara pads have more bass with techno music.

I ended up preferring the leather pads, even though I do miss the soundstage, and more subwoofer like bass of the alcantara pads... I also like the positioning of the vocals a lot more on the alcantara pads. It's easier for me to visualize the singer on stage since he/she is placed further back... but there's just too much veil in the midrange, and that's where I feel the Empyrean truly excels. Actually, the greatest quality of the Empyrean is its sense of rhythmic ability, but I'll save it for my full impressions.

What I'd love for @MezeTeam to do, is to continue working on the leather pads, where we can get a slightly deeper soundstage w more heft in the 20-40hz without losing the immediacy, speed, energy of the midrange. No rush though, the Empyrean sounds fantastic right out of the case.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,744 of 12,975
At this time I have 3 different set of pads for the Empyrean. A normal leather set, a perforated leather set and the suede pads. Just be sure you're talking about the same set of pads when comparing :)

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #1,745 of 12,975
At this time I have 3 different set of pads for the Empyrean. A normal leather set, a perforated leather set and the suede pads. Just be sure you're talking about the same set of pads when comparing :)

How did you get a 3rd pair that is different from the stock 2? And how does the sound change between the two leather pads???

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,746 of 12,975
My findings differ somewhat a little than what's been thus far reported. First, I think it's important in the future that owners specify which pads were used for listening impressions because both pads give off vastly different sound signature. I cannot emphasize this enough, it's like having two completely different headphones.

Generally speaking, the alcantara pads have a wider and deeper soundstage, with more recessed vocals and instruments. Everything sounds 'grander', as though one chose a 'concert hall' filter. There's greater reverb, the singer is placed further back, and instruments sounding more distant. The alcantara pads also sound distinctly darker and warmer- vocals and instruments are muted. Instrument separation is excellent. Bass is also more emphasized with the alcantara. There's more bloom, more heft from 20-50hz. The grand soundstage, and darker more bassy sound helps create a much more dark atmospheric ambiance. The alcantara pads sound particularly fantastic for more melancholic music, such as Paper Trails by Darkside. The soundstage on the alcantara pads is remarkable... also the pads seem to mesh with the boomier lower end, giving a more pleasing ear massage. It's like being cocooned in a luxurious soundscape.

On the other hand, music on the leather pads instantly sound a little more closed in, less 'hall' like, and probably more accurate to the source. There's significantly more energy in the midrange and treble where a lot of the magic happens. It comes across as brighter, more detailed (though never harsh or sibilant), but also more 'in your face'. For instance, vocals, and instruments like the guitar (acoustic and electric) are more emphasized, more forward. In the very same song by Darkside, you can feel the energy for the electric guitar a lot more than w the alcantara pads. There's more grunt, more growl, more crunch... The same thing happens w vocals. Cues are a lot more apparent, and for someone like me who listens to a lot of rock music, the overly smooth and more veiled midrange in the alcantara pads is an unacceptable trade off. Leather pads literally 'rock' more than the alcantara ones. Classical music definitely sound better with leather pads.

There's sometimes more mid bass punch with the leather pads. Bass notes are also clearer, tighter, more rounded, and easier to follow. I think that's why some users like @xxx1313 and @Nomax found the leather pads more bassy whereas Lieven from Headfonia (@Ultrainferno ) thought otherwise. For me, there's no question that alcantara pads have more bass with techno music.

I ended up preferring the leather pads, even though I do miss the soundstage, and more subwoofer like bass of the alcantara pads... I also like the positioning of the vocals a lot more on the alcantara pads. It's easier for me to visualize the singer on stage since he/she is placed further back... but there's just too much veil in the midrange, and that's where I feel the Empyrean truly excels. Actually, the greatest quality of the Empyrean is its sense of rhythmic ability, but I'll save it for my full impressions.

What I'd love for @MezeTeam to do, is to continue working on the leather pads, where we can get a slightly deeper soundstage w more heft in the 20-40hz without losing the immediacy, speed, energy of the midrange. No rush though, the Empyrean sounds fantastic right out of the case.

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,748 of 12,975
Who cares, stop stressing. It's like your trying to find anything to put you off the purchase.
I've got total belief in Meze audio Empyrean have you?

No one is stressing. I simply want to know how one person got access to a 3rd set of pads that no one else has ever had access to. The Empyrean pads are magnetically attached. It’s not like there’s aftermarket pads out there for them already.

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,749 of 12,975

Ah, are the perforated leather pads "upgrade" pads from Meze to come to the market in the future?

@ciukas
It is a bit strange how differently we all perceive the sound with the two different pads. Nevetheless, I agree with most of your impressions, except that the alcantara/suede pads sound darker than the leather pads. But it does not matter much imo, because both pads are complementary and obviously there is no clear favorite yet, both pad types have their fans. :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,750 of 12,975

Never seen mention of perforated leather pads before. How do they sound compared to the other stock pads?

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,751 of 12,975
Where could we obtain the perforated pads? I would love a third option for sound signature! The more variations in pad designs, the more versatile the Empyreans can be!:L3000:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,752 of 12,975
I'm guessing the 3rd set of pads (perforated leather) is not available for the average consumer. This is likely due to @Ultrainferno being a prominent reviewer, and Meze sent him a pair of pre production pads along with the production variants. All just guesses on my part, but I wouldn't get your hopes up :)

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #1,753 of 12,975
IMG_20181209_110935.jpg

Here is a quick pic of the perforated leather pad. I have no idea what Meze is planning with these, but I am sure Antonio can share it if he feels like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back