Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Oct 23, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,307 of 1,512
I took one for the team.

Recently re-bought Liric and I think it's even more comfortable then I remembered. Also bought a pair of the Dekoni pads and swapped pads an hour ago.

Stock pads a softer, fit like a glove, sound amazing but are horrible with sweat (pleather).
Dekoni pads are firmer, feel like any other Dekoni pads and made of leather.

The swap is almost always irreversible. The chance that you destroy the glue/sticky tape layer of the pads is nearly almost guaranteed.

On to the changes!
I had to re-adjust the fit. Dekoni pads are less thick, the result is that the rods are less extended.
Ah the feel of leather! I prefer it over pleather any day of the week but respect other opinions.
The FR is changed but not overly dramatic. Here is my EQ using de RME ADI-2 DAC:
1696596547349.png
- Add some sub bass, but the difference in bass presence is less then expected
- Add 2.5dB at 4khz to bring back some of the missing upper-mid presence
- Reduce 2.5db at 10khz. The dekoni pads add more presence there.

These changes are done based on the FR on Dekoni's site:
1696596207711.png

Are they worth the effort / destroying the OG pads? I would say: no. So far I readjusted the FR to have it more in line with the OG pads but without the extra energy around 10khz was not to my liking. Comfort wise both OG and Dekoni pads are above most if not all closed-back headphones.
3 weeks in with the Dekoni pads: They are starting to grow on me. Still using the same EQ as in the previous message. Liric is continuing to be an amazing headphone:

- Closed-back
- (Trans)portable
- Planar
- Easy to drive
- All-day-and-night class comfort

All in 1 headphone! What the Dekoni pads add is the feel of leather, which I personally prefer over pleather.

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,308 of 1,512
I recommend from Lavricables "Grand". I have tried many different cables, but the Grand is the very best. No sibillance, better clarity and imaging. Give it a try. The Liric plays in a complete different league.
I'm using Lavri Master for my IEMs. Great company, great product indeed.
https://www.ear-fidelity.com/lavricables-master-review/

With my problem with Liric being to sibilant silver cable doesn't seem to be the way to go though.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #1,311 of 1,512
Guys, how do you carry your Lirics with you ? I really need the best recommendation for the slimmest case possible or a tough carry pouch
I use the provided case and wrap the provided case in a cotton shoe bag to protect it. If I cannot use the case, I just use the shoe bag but make sure I still disconnect the cable and pack separately. I then make sure it is padded well and that no weight can be pressed down on them. This is only for short travel. If I am going anywhere for time or distance, it is always the hard case.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,312 of 1,512
I use the provided case and wrap the provided case in a cotton shoe bag to protect it. If I cannot use the case, I just use the shoe bag but make sure I still disconnect the cable and pack separately. I then make sure it is padded well and that no weight can be pressed down on them. This is only for short travel. If I am going anywhere for time or distance, it is always the hard case.
The shoe box idea is funny, I'm sure the audio world has come up with a smaller case 😂

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #1,315 of 1,512
Oh sorry , can you send a picture of it?
If it's a thick one and I am laying the Lirics at the top of my bag it would be nice !
It is not thick at all. It is just a simple cotton drawstring shoe travel bag. It keeps my LIRIC hard travel case from getting damaged and works for carrying the headphones when I don’t have the hard case, but I honestly recommend just using the hard case over the bag…but it works in a pinch. It looks something like this:

Attachments

• IMG_8451.jpeg
    IMG_8451.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #1,316 of 1,512
Was on the verge of listing my Lirics that sounded bland and dull with the 320Max. Then I decided to try them with the WM1ZM2...

DSEEE On, DC Phase Type A Low, Vinyl Off. Getting very good dynamics and some nice sub-bass and slam out of these finally. The synergy these have together caught me off guard. Shall keep the Lirics longer heh.

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #1,317 of 1,512
Was on the verge of listing my Lirics that sounded bland and dull with the 320Max. Then I decided to try them with the WM1ZM2...

DSEEE On, DC Phase Type A Low, Vinyl Off. Getting very good dynamics and some nice sub-bass and slam out of these finally. The synergy these have together caught me off guard. Shall keep the Lirics longer heh.
Hi,
I'm interested as DX320Max is my curent setup with the Liric. I don't find it dull at all.
I find this setup to be engaging yet good for relaxing sessions with good bass and fairly good amount of details. In fact I find the 320Max to be respectful of Liric's sound signature, as it is transparent and technically competent.
To share my recent experience, after several weeks using my IEMs, went back to the Liric, and found it a bit sibilant in some vocals. Let it burn-in for 24 hours straight. Although it already had at least 50 hours play time, I found it better after this new burn-in and now it's right to my taste.
For information I Iisten with 320max on level gain 4, digital filter 2 and Meze balanced 4.4 copper cable, volume about 50%, no EQ.
I tried it also with DX240 with good results but not as good technically as 320Max.
So I would be interested in more details about your experience with 320Max : what were the conditions (cable, gain, volume etc.) and what was lacking exactly ?

Nov 24, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #1,318 of 1,512
3 weeks in with the Dekoni pads: They are starting to grow on me. Still using the same EQ as in the previous message. Liric is continuing to be an amazing headphone:

- Closed-back
- (Trans)portable
- Planar
- Easy to drive
- All-day-and-night class comfort

All in 1 headphone! What the Dekoni pads add is the feel of leather, which I personally prefer over pleather.
Switched back to the stock pads after hearing them at a friend's place with the stock pads again.
Dekoni pads suck out all forms of sub-bass these have so if you want some sub-bass in the mix steer away from the Dekoni pads!

Nov 27, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,319 of 1,512
Switched back to the stock pads after hearing them at a friend's place with the stock pads again.
Dekoni pads suck out all forms of sub-bass these have so if you want some sub-bass in the mix steer away from the Dekoni pads!
After a weekend of fun with Liric i can safely say that it is not worth it to replace the stock pads by those that Dekoni offer for this headphone. I have a regained love for Liric since the pad swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back