Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Jul 1, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #1,111 of 1,512
I believe Dynamic drivers slam harder than planars in general. I have shared my observations when we launch the LIRIC (HERE). In my experience, the LIRIC is one of the more energetic planar and you make it as impactful as a lot of dynamic drivers, but you need a headphone amplifier that offers strong output power with excellent control, low output impedance / high damping factor.
Some of that is due to the rolled-off sub-bass on a lot of dynamics, and the consequent mid-bass emphasis. Another factor is, indeed, the amplification. If you use amps designed by people who have made speaker amps in the past, they tend to make better headphone amps, which, for example, increase in power output as the impedance of the headphones drops. A lot of headphone amps lose power as the impedance goes down, especially portable gear, which will have power supply limitations.

I mention this as I was comparing the Liric out of the W2-131 and RU-6, with the extra power available in the RU-6 giving very noticeably better dynamics. The thing I like about them is that they sound great out of even basic portable gear, yet will scale up to the TT2 and the like, especially with a better-than-stock cable. Now...if only they folded!

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #1,113 of 1,512
Just finished my video on my experience and thoughts on the Liric =)

We are flattered. :pray:

Everything is fantastic except the bundled headphone cable. We heard your advice. Let's do something about it, at least in the short-term. :pray:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,114 of 1,512
1657300377072.png

If you are debating whether you should go ahead and press the Buy it Now button with Liric, let us give you the final push.

From July to September 2022, we shall throw in your choice of silver-plated or copper PCUHD premium cables with every purchase of Meze Audio LIRIC. Check out our new Liric sales page to find out the full story.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 10, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #1,115 of 1,512
I believe Dynamic drivers slam harder than planars in general. I have shared my observations when we launch the LIRIC (HERE). In my experience, the LIRIC is one of the more energetic planar and you make it as impactful as a lot of dynamic drivers, but you need a headphone amplifier that offers strong output power with excellent control, low output impedance / high damping factor.
It's more likely that dynamic drivers distort. Especially in the sub bass region.
That distortion might sound and feel like more slam.

But it's basically just the distortion.

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #1,116 of 1,512
Hi fellow Liric owners - just got myself this extremely comfortable set of cans and I'm loving it! Was debating between the Lirics vs the Denon D9200s for a period of time but settled on the Lirics ultimately.

I've read through most of this thread (and a few others elsewhere) and the common suggestion is to upgrade the stock cables to pure copper ones -- are the ones offered by Forza currently the agreed upon best option?

Also, have any of you guys found a more compact carrying case for this headphone? The travel case is great but way too bulky for my commuting bag..

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #1,117 of 1,512
Hi fellow Liric owners - just got myself this extremely comfortable set of cans and I'm loving it! Was debating between the Lirics vs the Denon D9200s for a period of time but settled on the Lirics ultimately.

I've read through most of this thread (and a few others elsewhere) and the common suggestion is to upgrade the stock cables to pure copper ones -- are the ones offered by Forza currently the agreed upon best option?

Also, have any of you guys found a more compact carrying case for this headphone? The travel case is great but way too bulky for my commuting bag..
There will never be a universally agreed on best cable option.

Forza AudioWorks cables are certainly good.
My personal choice for the best pure copper cable would be a Norne Drausk.
And even Mezes own upgrade cable is rated pretty well

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #1,118 of 1,512

En ce qui concerne le câble forza Claire hybrid il est en route et j’en disposerai ce lundi.
Je ferai un retour par rapport aux câbles stock et à l’OFC SPC 4.4.

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #1,119 of 1,512
I've ordered the Liric after all.
I sold my Focal Elegia and got a good offer for the Liric (1550€ open box from a hifi shop) and got 350€ for my Elegia.

Normally I wouldn't spend 2000€ on a headphone but this seemed like a really great opportunity to "upgrade".

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,120 of 1,512
Meze 99 Classics case accommodates the Liric perfectly, the two cans are practically the same in dimensions overall. I severely disliked the stock cables that come with the Liric so I opted for the Classics one instead, and preferring the cable zipper pouch makes it easier as it also fits perfectly with the Liric in the Classics case.

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #1,124 of 1,512
Meze 99 Classics case accommodates the Liric perfectly, the two cans are practically the same in dimensions overall. I severely disliked the stock cables that come with the Liric so I opted for the Classics one instead, and preferring the cable zipper pouch makes it easier as it also fits perfectly with the Liric in the Classics case.
Alas! I had the Meze 99s but sold them a few years ago haha. Good to know they fit though, perhaps I'll find a case on the resale market

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #1,125 of 1,512
There will never be a universally agreed on best cable option.

Forza AudioWorks cables are certainly good.
My personal choice for the best pure copper cable would be a Norne Drausk.
And even Mezes own upgrade cable is rated pretty well

Thanks for the suggestion, are you using these cables right now?

Checked out the website page where you can configure the cables, there is no Meze Liric option but there's an Empyrean one, is that what you selected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back