Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Dec 12, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #556 of 1,488
This is false. We've characterized the term as 'macro contrast',

You are saying that you , and your UTBE channel and website, and those who use it to review, have never used the term "SLAM" in a review, regarding the low end impact of a set of headphones ???????,= including qualifying this using the Audeze low end sound as your reference?
Do you have a Twin ??
You also used the Hifiman Arya for a good long while as your continual "as compared to" Champion.
I am so glad you finally let that go, as that headphone, is petty good, but not really remarkable.

There was also a time, that you and Josh Valour used the ARYA as your reference in every review.
Those days are now past, and im so glad.
I recall when you UTBE reviewed the HEDDPHONE and thought it was the greatest thing ever......and you stopped with that also, finally.

I'll tell you what.
Im going to let you have the last word, in your next response..... probably..
And i hope you will realize that i never mentioned you by name or by channel.
I'll continue to watch, with interest, as always.... what you review.

Thx.

- FB1

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #557 of 1,488
You are saying that you , and your UTBE channel and website, and those who use it to review, have never used the term "SLAM" in a review, regarding the low end impact of a headphone, including qualifying this using the Audeze sound as your reference?
I'm sure we've used the term - I know I've used the term at times, but generally not without qualification. But this is also why I don't like the term, it confuses that perception with bass level and I think there are enough counterexamples to conclude that bass level is not a sufficient condition for this quality - in fact... the Liric is one of them. And also no, Audeze sound isn't typically the reference for 'good' here, some of them do well, others don't. Focal headphones like the Utopia are the reference for 'good' for this quality, and often the HE-6 - both more so than Audeze.
There was also a time, that you and Josh Valour used the ARYA as your reference in every review.
Those days are now past, and im so glad.
It truly must be a shock to the system to learn that opinions can change. But also, no I've never used any one particular headphone as a clear-cut 'reference' like that, even though I do enjoy those. I listened to them last week. I think the closest thing for me might be something like the K371, since I use that for editing, but apart from that I'm constantly evaluating new and different headphones. My favorite at the moment is the HiFiMAN Susvara, or an EQ'd LCD-5. I don't get to use them every day or anything though, they get sent to other reviewers to try afterwards.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #558 of 1,488
The most useless criteria that a "reviewer" can use to quality SQ is...

1. charts, graphs...

2. "but does it SLAM"....does it SLAM........i dont care about the sound, does it : SLAM SLAM SLAM".!!!!!

Here is the thing....As soon as i read or hear the reviewer start pining and whining and elevating : """Does it slam ???, ... this one really slams.....but does it SLAM . .Slam, Slam, Slam"....... then i know that this backwards reviewer does not have his REVIEWING criteria in order and should be out farming his Corn crop, and walking his flock of sheep, vs, talking about "slam, slam, slam slam, slam slam slam.....," as if this actually matters to the utmost.... inside a set of headphone cups that are 1.27cm from your ear drums.

Here is what matters.....This :

1. FR
2. SQ
3. Timbre
4. Midrange
5. Soundstage
6. Instrument Separation
7. Comfort.

Where is slam on this list , regarding what is important? ??????

Its' # 400 on the list,.....its right above being concerned with the wire not being "Janky" or the box not being impressive.

But FullBright1,...if it ain't got SLAM then what is the point. ?????

Ah.... well, i'll let you figure that out my budding little newbie audiophile friend.

Go figure....:)
-
-
5.jpg

Cringe straw-man argument...

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #559 of 1,488
Cringe straw-man argument...

Nice fail, Tachyon88...

Consider now, that i was not making an "argument."
I was just stating what "slam" has to do with a real review regarding headphones, (nothing)... and why an experienced trustworthy reviewer is not going to prioritize "low end impact". (slam)., ever.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #560 of 1,488
Nice try.
Consider now, that i was not making an argument.
I was just stating what "slam" has to do with a real review regarding headphones, (nothing)... and why a real reviewer is not going to prioritize "low end impact". (slam).

Distinction without a difference. You're on the top of the list for every single reason in which I find the vast majority of reviewers and reviews irrelevant. In fact you may feel honored to know that before I had a headfi account I almost made one solely to block your post from the countless threads you muck up. You deliberately erect strawmen and will fixate on one thing out of context to construct these elaborate arguments just for the sake of arguing.

You could prove me wrong by not responding back to me.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #561 of 1,488
Nice fail, Tachyon88...

Consider now, that i was not making an "argument."
I was just stating what "slam" has to do with a real review regarding headphones, (nothing)... and why an experienced trustworthy reviewer is not going to prioritize "low end impact". (slam)., ever.

Cool that you dont care much, but for some like myself, this low end impact is reasonably important given the nature of music listened to.

If you listen to Jazz, classic rock, classical, then this will not be a priority, I agree. However, when you move beyond kickdrums into artificial instruments in electronic music then this quality becomes reasonably imporant.

It is still low priority for me, but matters quite a bit nonetheless.

For example, I own the Beyer T5's, and the Noire's, and while the latter have more bass, more low end, and sub-bass in both quantity and quality, they do not have the impact of the T5's.

I can get pushed by a bus at walking speed, but if that same bus hits me at 60mph, its a different ball game. Similar analogy with Bass attack/impact/slam/whatever. It is not just about levels.

If it is lowest priority for you, fine, but establishing your preferences as the logical standard for the hobby (yes, this is a hobby) is not what I am after. This is the second forum post being hijacked by this nonsense debate about esoteric terminology.

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #562 of 1,488
A question primarily to @Malevolent, who has been a keen owner of D9200 (jack of all trades among closed-backs for many) and who couple of weeks ago still rated them higher than Liric. At this point, after a bit longer experience, would you still put D9200 above Liric as the better all-rounder, I mean, if you’d have to choose one of them only? And how do they compare in terms of sound isolation, comfort or soundstage and treble? And in terms of Denon’s often praised strengths like balanced frequency response, bass quality, timber quality, vocals? Which are the one to keep as the one and only? Which push your buttons better? Thanks! (P.S. probably to be paired with Mojo, but feel free to ignore that information, if you have no experience with that combo)
Let me get back to you on that; I'll do a comparison between the 2 headphones this week.

I, too, have a Mojo, and I will drive them both from the Chord DAC, if it helps you better decide. :)

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #564 of 1,488
Jeeeezz...
This voice reproduction ...
Screenshot_20211213-203424_Neutron Player.jpg

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #565 of 1,488
After a few weeks already with the Liric I love them even more. I really-really like how they sound engaging and full even at lower volumes. Maybe because they closed backs, I don't know but I listen to much music at much lower levels and I think it is a really important thing. Also, I don't really like EQ at all, but I tried the settings from Crono and I do found them rather good. All-in-all a beauftiful experience. These are definitely keepers.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #566 of 1,488
After a few weeks already with the Liric I love them even more. I really-really like how they sound engaging and full even at lower volumes. Maybe because they closed backs, I don't know but I listen to much music at much lower levels and I think it is a really important thing. Also, I don't really like EQ at all, but I tried the settings from Crono and I do found them rather good. All-in-all a beauftiful experience. These are definitely keepers.
Yeah due to them blocking ambient noise I find myself listening to lower volumes as well.

I didn't need closed backs, but there are upsides of those as well

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #568 of 1,488
I didn't also need closed cans but I find them sounding better than a lot of my open ones!!!
Cerrainly the best price performance Ratio I ever had in a headphone.
Costing Half of my other headphones and still receiving the same headtime for me.

Not on the same technical level of course, but they offer tremendous enjoyment

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #570 of 1,488
Okay, okay .... dam it... I've just gone and ordered these. I was on the fence about these or Stealths but I just wasn't convinced I'd like them (the Stealths)... I also want to run them on Hugo 2 as well as occasional use on the TT2 and didn't really want to buy a portable amp.

Hopefully they'll be here soon!

I'd like to request Meze to cut me some slack though and stop, just stop, producing so much great gear in such a short time. Take a couple of months off.... maybe even a year! Between these and the Elites, my wallet had no chance of hiding at all :k701smile:... now, where's the Christmas booze!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back