Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #529 of 1,488
Coming from the Focal Radiance I agree with Resolve's assessment. The Liric does not have a tonne of macro dynamics. I find them to be lacking behind a bit in that department. The Radiance is definitely more punchy. The Liric has a considerable amount of better defined sub bass though. The Radiance being Focal's warmest and most sub bass headphone still doesn't match the level that the Liric has.

The Liric also blows the Radiance out of the water in most other categories. It's definitely more resolving, bigger stage & much better imaging and instrument separation.
My Radiance is a very good headphone, but I definitely prefer my Liric.

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #530 of 1,488
So resolve wrote, that the liric is not so much capable in terms of macro dynamics. Similar to the DCA aeons. That was a dealbreaker for me when I had the noires. How do you guys experience this. My empyreans once EQed to my likings don't suffer in that department.
I am in the same boat....

Really enjoy the Noire, but lacks that bit of impact and slight bit of width on the soundstage.

The price difference is pretty high, but if the liric hits these spots and is basically like an upgraded Noire, then I would strongly consider..

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #531 of 1,488
If anyone interested

It's a great album that one. From memory, they have a few others that are well worth checking out as well!

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #532 of 1,488
PSX_20211211_084350.jpg

I would like to introduce my first impressions of the Liric with this perhaps somewhat disturbing picture.
But since the Lcd-i4 is my No.1,
this duel was inevitable.

First about the Liric.
The Liric and extremely comfortable, and the bulid and touch quality absolutely world class.
The sound is lively and pervaded by a pleasant dynamic.
The bass is very controlled but has a voluminous character. The midrange, like the treble, I find quite present, but not intrusive.
The resolution is good, but not very good.
I experienced the stage as mixed, with some tracks it seems quite small, with others quite large. I find that confusing.
The imaging is very precise and "3d".

All in all, I liked the sound, but I keep thinking of the Elegia with the Dekoni Stellia pads.
This left a bigger impression, but only costs a quarter. That out of memory.
A direct comparison would be very interesting.

We are already on the next topic.
The direct comparison between the Lcd-i4 and the Liric.
Here, too, I would like to be short and sweet.
The Liric just doesn't stand a chance.
In every imaginable area, the Audeze pulls away.
This offers a much more intense listening experience.
In terms of resolution and dynamics in particular, the Lcd-i4 is clearly superior to the Liric.

For me it goes without saying that both were adjusted according to the Harman target.

Conclusion:
I think the Liric should be listened to.

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #533 of 1,488
PSX_20211211_084350.jpg

I would like to introduce my first impressions of the Liric with this perhaps somewhat disturbing picture.
But since the Lcd-i4 is my No.1,
this duel was inevitable.

First about the Liric.
The Liric and extremely comfortable, and the bulid and touch quality absolutely world class.
The sound is lively and pervaded by a pleasant dynamic.
The bass is very controlled but has a voluminous character. The midrange, like the treble, I find quite present, but not intrusive.
The resolution is good, but not very good.
I experienced the stage as mixed, with some tracks it seems quite small, with others quite large. I find that confusing.
The imaging is very precise and "3d".

All in all, I liked the sound, but I keep thinking of the Elegia with the Dekoni Stellia pads.
This left a bigger impression, but only costs a quarter. That out of memory.
A direct comparison would be very interesting.

We are already on the next topic.
The direct comparison between the Lcd-i4 and the Liric.
Here, too, I would like to be short and sweet.
The Liric just doesn't stand a chance.
In every imaginable area, the Audeze pulls away.
This offers a much more intense listening experience.
In terms of resolution and dynamics in particular, the Lcd-i4 is clearly superior to the Liric.

For me it goes without saying that both were adjusted according to the Harman target.

Conclusion:
I think the Liric should be listened to.
That's interesting, i've considered the LCD-i4 but the need for EQ made me write it off. Since I'm using a streamer there's no good way for me to do it.

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #534 of 1,488
That's interesting, i've considered the LCD-i4 but the need for EQ made me write it off. Since I'm using a streamer there's no good way for me to do it.
Roon? You can EQ with Roon.

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #535 of 1,488
It's a great album that one. From memory, they have a few others that are well worth checking out as well!
Yes it and yes they have. Liric is excellent of separating drums. And I really enjoy it!

This is of topic, but
If anyone likes metal, I suggest to listen Amorphis. One of all time greatest, twelve great albums so far and next to come on next February.

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #536 of 1,488
Been A/B'ing all morning back and forth. They're both very close in competition.

IMG_2931.jpg

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #538 of 1,488
Why should everyone must EQ to the Harman combined?
Or judge everything with the Harman combined?
And why don't manufactures tune exactly to the Harman combined target so they make the perfect headphone?
And end it once and for all...

This misunderstands the purpose of both target curves and headphone measurements in general - and I completely understand why this mistake often gets made, and I see it quite commonly. I'm doing my best to try and counteract the narrative that seems to emerge when people see graphs, targets, and EQs, that "all headphones should be tuned to the Harman target". No, that's not at all the purpose of what I'm doing, even if certain other reviewers treat it that way. What's more important than adherence to a target is that the balance between fundamental and resonant harmonic tones is intact. Harman's ear gain region (the area where our physical ear amplifies certain frequencies) is based on the in-room target derived from flat-measuring speakers, and it happens to achieve that balance (which flat-measuring speakers will also achieve), it's just shown at the eardrum reference point instead. The FR can be over or under the target in various places, as long as that balance is reasonably well-achieved. This is something that the Liric seems to do well for the upper mids and lower treble - the most challenging part to get right.

But beyond that, I'm going to echo the wise words of a friend of mine here by saying that headphones shouldn't be tuned to the Harman target, rather they should be evaluated in relation to it. That is to say, we understand what X sounds like, here's how this sounds relative to X. You don't need to like X, but X is a known reference point - a datapoint that allows us to better understand how the headphone is going to sound in relation to it, and this happens to be the one that uses the best publicly available and most widely adopted research on the subject. The purpose of the target is not to say "this is what everyone should like", but rather what people do like, as opposed to any other reference point.

Now when it comes to EQ, the reason to do it is to adjust to your preference. I personally prefer a kind of sound that's more similar to 'reference', and as we know, most listeners also prefer this. Does that mean you do? Not in the least. Maybe you like more bass, maybe you like more treble... this is where you need to understand your own preferences, and adjust accordingly. In other words, I don't tune my EQs to match Harman and call it a day, and that's also why you see some deviations in my results as well.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 11, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #540 of 1,488
I can't wait for the day that when anyone asking for FR graphs and objective data is not meet with obstructionist philistines with trivial objections that have answer to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Pfgo
Back