Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 17, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #181 of 1,488
I'd rather eat dead animals like chicken, cow, lamb and sheep than having their skins on my earpads. But chicken burger filled with ketchup, tomatoes, onions, pickles, cheese as earpads... Hmmm yummy! I'm hungry!

Okay okay, I had to, sorry 🤣
Sheepskin leather earpads are actually quite good as well, don't see them much though, would love a pair for my Empyrean's.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #182 of 1,488
Was stated earlier that expected lifespan of pads is 2 years. Given one needs to send them off or purchase a kit to replace them, it likely won't be cheap. It's a big enough bummer to X these off the list of TOTL closed backs I was considering. It's 2021, not 2001 -- there's no need to make pad-swapping a chore anymore. Too many great alternatives at the 2k pricepoint and lower.

Also, I remember there being a rumor a couple years ago that Meze was working on a HP that fit in between the 99C and Empyrean -- is this that headphone? Or is there something else in the works as well? I assumed it wouldn't be another TOTL offering, but perhaps it was/is.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #183 of 1,488
Sheepskin leather earpads are actually quite good as well, don't see them much though, would love a pair for my Empyrean's.
Were they asleep when dead? I'm such a terrible human being, my God :scream: Why npt cowskin leather earpads? Or....crocodile leather!

Jokes aside. Sheepskin leather earpads are usually done by Dekoni? I can't imagine them making them for Empyrean, I mean, the Empyreans are not something you see every day. I don't see the sheep products on headphones much every day indeed, though I've seen them only mentioned a lot on this forum like the sheepskin fenestrated for example. As a sucker I am, I'm very cautious with my audio gear. I would like to hear from someone how the Liric does sound compared to the Heritage HP-3.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #184 of 1,488
Were they asleep when dead? I'm such a terrible human being, my God :scream: Why npt cowskin leather earpads? Or....crocodile leather!

Jokes aside. Sheepskin leather earpads are usually done by Dekoni? I can't imagine them making them for Empyrean, I mean, the Empyreans are not something you see every day. I don't see the sheep products on headphones much every day indeed, though I've seen them only mentioned a lot on this forum like the sheepskin fenestrated for example. As a sucker I am, I'm very cautious with my audio gear. I would like to hear from someone how the Liric does sound compared to the Heritage HP-3.

Sheepskin is not at all exclusive to Dekoni pads

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #185 of 1,488
Was stated earlier that expected lifespan of pads is 2 years. Given one needs to send them off or purchase a kit to replace them, it likely won't be cheap. It's a big enough bummer to X these off the list of TOTL closed backs I was considering. It's 2021, not 2001 -- there's no need to make pad-swapping a chore anymore. Too many great alternatives at the 2k pricepoint and lower.

Also, I remember there being a rumor a couple years ago that Meze was working on a HP that fit in between the 99C and Empyrean -- is this that headphone? Or is there something else in the works as well? I assumed it wouldn't be another TOTL offering, but perhaps it was/is.
Hmm, I can't see the Liric between the 99C Empyran, I mean, the price difference from 99C to Liric is really massive.

Sheepskin is not at all exclusive to Dekoni pads
I see. Discard my other reply.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #186 of 1,488
Be sure to get these Balanced Cables for your LIRIC, as with them, the LIRIC"s sound even better.....
-
-
61FfPwFlCLL._SL1480_.jpg
I ordered one of these already but I also need a 2 meter balanced cable ending with a 4-pin XLR.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #187 of 1,488
Picked up the Liric this evening. With just a few minutes listening with the single-ended cable...they are a keeper. I can hear the Empyrean's DNA in the sound signature and they have pretty decent isolation. That's just what I needed.
Listening to Manheim Steamroller "Fresh Aire".
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

PS - Had to stuff my ears into them a bit, but they are comfortable....

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #188 of 1,488
Totally unexpected to start a round of leather vs PU leather discussion here. I hope we all get the humour and won't get heated. Liric is a very good headphone, I hope we all enjoy sharing and chatting about it.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #189 of 1,488
I'm not sure if you've heard them or agree, but i am hoping the Liric can surpass them (for me) since i also value musicality over Stealth's flat tuning. Can't wait to borrow a pair.

flat... compared to what?

https://io.dropinblog.com/uploaded/blogs/34241963/files/DCA_Stealth_R.jpg

Impedance - 30 Ω
Nominal SPL - 100 dB (1 mW / 1 kHz)
Maximum SPL - 130 dB
THD - <0.15 %

A few Q's about this:

'nominal SPL' is to be interpreted as sensitivity?

how was THD <0.15% derived?

rinaro.com shows the impedance of these drivers to be 26ohm . Not much real world difference, most likely, but for my own curiosity what would bring about that increase?

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #190 of 1,488
So mine arrived.
Very Premium packaging experience. I thoroughly enjoyed unpacking them.

20211118_101555.jpg

20211118_101744.jpg

20211118_101841.jpg

20211118_101858.jpg

20211118_101946.jpg

Luckily I still had some Norne Skraug Adapters lying around. Not quite the flagship quality but at least I can use ny 4-pin XLR cables.

First impressions with no burn in:
They are supremely comfortable, at this point I really wonder how Meze does it.
The earpads feel amazing.

They sound very open for a closed back. Ofc not as open as the Elite, which even sound open for an open back.

They have very strong Bass and recessed mids compared to the bigger brothers.
I love it. It was certainly the right decision to delay the CRBN for these.

More detailed impressions after I have more than 30 Minutes of listening time.

Nov 18, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #192 of 1,488
Watched Drew of Moon Audio and I experienced the collapsed sound that I mentioned in earlier post but like him it went away. This is only headphone I heard change because it soon instead of months. Months because I don't burn in my headphones as I'm careful with my gear especially when I'm not there. Today I'm again on vacation so I'll do burn in next to me while I hit some tv.

See what happens

I agree with you. Well, I am hesitated to described it as "collapsed", but the Low/Mid/High frequency distribution are not balanced when fresh out of the box. This is very strange because the Elite was very good sounding immediately after unbox, but the Liric needs about 100 hours to settle, especially on the bass department.

I didn't mention anything about burn in with Elite, but I suggest users take some time to burn in their Liric before they form their final opinion (or return the headphone :wink: :wink: )

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 18, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #193 of 1,488
I agree with you. Well, I am hesitated to described it as "collapsed", but the Low/Mid/High frequency distribution are not balanced when fresh out of the box. This is very strange because the Elite was very good sounding immediately after unbox, but the Liric needs about 100 hours to settle, especially on the bass department.

I didn't mention anything about burn in with Elite, but I suggest users take some time to burn in their Liric before they form their final opinion (or return the headphone :wink: :wink: )
Can't tell for the Liric yet, but Empyrean needed lots of burn in while the Elite sounded amazing from the first minute

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #194 of 1,488
after read the mostly positive posts in this thread and other site, also on my own experience from my jet black empyrean, i just placed order for mine this afternoon and waiting for delivery. the dealer in hk offers a free meze 4.4mm cable too. hope i could receive it tomorrow to enjoy over the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back