Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #151 of 1,495
I haven't listened yet I'm too tired after my daughter freaked me out about burning pain which I go into full protection mode.
So don't want to until rested. Best observation is this design is modest doesn't take art as far as the Empyrean chassis. So no gawking eyes looking at your head. But for portable headphone best looking still fancy and expensive. Atleast they don't bloom like a Fischer Price toy like the T+A Solitaire P SE at 3500$(sounds great with fresh off the 3D printer feel and looks).

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #152 of 1,495
Despites it's a protable headphone, I wouldn't dare to take it outside lol. You never know which scum out there is waiting to steal it or some jackass dropping starbuck coffee over it. But the chance is pretty low the public outside knows what this, let alone the brand name. It's all about Apple, Sony ANC, Beats by Dr Crap etc etc.

I'm looking forward to honest reviews and critisms from regular.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #154 of 1,495
Not for a basshead the high hats in edm is most predominant. Sub bass is too tame there's not enough in db. I'm trying smoother tubes to slow down the sound see if lushness improves. I'd like to hear it on a Woo Amp. So the Amperex 6922 gold pins which cost a pretty penny improved the headphone but would like more impact on sub region. Possibly chuck it up to needed to break in the driver. They have been hanging at room temp for 8 hours so not cold. They sound good high end is very crisp none fatiguing. Feels isolated from outside more then other closed backs. When Schiit finally sends me my Lokius I'll mess around to improve them. I want to keep them good thing I got them from Headphones.com with that return policy.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #155 of 1,495
Not for a basshead the high hats in edm is most predominant. Sub bass is too tame there's not enough in db. I'm trying smoother tubes to slow down the sound see if lushness improves. I'd like to hear it on a Woo Amp. So the Amperex 6922 gold pins which cost a pretty penny improved the headphone but would like more impact on sub region. Possibly chuck it up to needed to break in the driver. They have been hanging at room temp for 8 hours so not cold. They sound good high end is very crisp none fatiguing. Feels isolated from outside more then other closed backs. When Schiit finally sends me my Lokius I'll mess around to improve them. I want to keep them good thing I got them from Headphones.com with that return policy.
How are the vocals? Elevated or rolled off? I like it how the Klipsch Heritage HP-3 does the vocals, not absurdly loud like the Beyerdynamic T5p.2 does.

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #156 of 1,495
How are the vocals? Elevated or rolled off? I like it how the Klipsch Heritage HP-3 does the vocals, not absurdly loud like the Beyerdynamic T5p.2 does.
The vocal region is good it's really a portable headphone sound that will take some adjustment if you are use to that open feeling of the Empyrean and Elite. Even Fostex give more open feel for closed back. I am noticing me adjusting where it's becoming natural not forced. So either it's minimal breakin or me but it starts to sound bigger as time goes by. So if your do buy these don't throw them off right away from claustrophobia as it improves in sometime. The improvement peaked like an acid trip hitting you without realizing it and all of a sudden it's bigger and your like wow not bad. I recommend warmer dac and amp to bring up mid region. Nothing sterile or analytical. This is because the top end is airy and detailed you better bringing in lower and middle region. Also I took my knightly Delta 8 gummy and might be reacting to the effects of the hallcingine my liver is making from the THC. Crazy they get away with selling this product everywhere as it does get you high so parents keep an I on this product easy to sneak around.

Music is Drum and Bass by Phace. lots of percussion and trippy sound scapes. I will switch over to the Elite and compare the sound sigs. I am keeping these.

Disclaimer can't be held for anything written above as at this time I'm not of sound mind. :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #157 of 1,495
The vocal region is good it's really a portable headphone sound that will take some adjustment if you are use to that open feeling of the Empyrean and Elite. Even Fostex give more open feel for closed back. I am noticing me adjusting where it's becoming natural not forced. So either it's minimal breakin or me but it starts to sound bigger as time goes by. So if your do buy these don't throw them off right away from claustrophobia as it improves in sometime. The improvement peaked like an acid trip hitting you without realizing it and all of a sudden it's bigger and your like wow not bad. I recommend warmer dac and amp to bring up mid region. Nothing sterile or analytical. This is because the top end is airy and detailed you better bringing in lower and middle region. Also I took my knightly Delta 8 gummy and might be reacting to the effects of the hallcingine my liver is making from the THC. Crazy they get away with selling this product everywhere as it does get you high so parents keep an I on this product easy to sneak around.

Disclaimer can't be held for anything written above as at this time I'm not of sound mind. :L3000:

The iFi Bass Boost works quite nicely :D I didn't try their 3D option but I imagine it would also help open things up a bit at the cost of some vocal body

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #158 of 1,495

Thanks for the detailed reply. The only Meze I got so far is the 99 Classics with the silverplated upgrade cables. Fiio K5 Pro is what I have currently.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #159 of 1,495
Elite is fuller and rich compared to the Liric. More sub pressure from the Elite. Mids and highs are even compared to Liric. Liric just sounds as though some adjusted the treble on symbols to be bit more sparkly so not bad. Now if these had Fostex bass this would be an endgame closed back. The Fostex are not easy to listen to on a cold upper region. but more engaging on the right amp.

Listening to house and better the atmosphere is better more even sounding.

Thanks for the detailed reply. The only Meze I got so far is the 99 Classics with the silverplated upgrade cables. Fiio K5 Pro is what I have currently.
If you want that portable headphone this one sounds better then 99 Classic but you don't get strong midbass.

If the LCD 5 beats the Elite, Elite gets sold but this one will stay and might invest in ifi Diablo or just get the Wells Audio Milo with it's awesome bass bloom that is just perfect for the bass lover at 1699 with 18 watts of power at 8 ohms it's sublime and would do the Liric justice.

So after deep thought I'd like to mix the Empyrean, Elite and Liric. Place the crisp sound of Liric and open feeling of open back bass of the Empyrean with mids of the Elite. That would be the Ultimate Meze headphone for me.

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #160 of 1,495
My intent is to wail and gnash teeth until someone releases a reasonable length balanced cable (XLR) for home listening. :wink:
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends
I understand you can use a balanced cable with 3.5mm dual mono plugs on the headphone connections. For example, I plan to use the balanced cables I bought for my Focal Radiance. My Liric will be delivered Thursday.

Nov 17, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #161 of 1,495
I wonder if anyone could help clarifying whether the earpad is genuine leather or PU (protein) leather? I believe the headband is made of genuine leather and I'm a bit worrying of peeling off a year or so later if PU earpad is used, based on my painful experience of toys. . .

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #162 of 1,495
Watched Drew of Moon Audio and I experienced the collapsed sound that I mentioned in earlier post but like him it went away. This is only headphone I heard change because it soon instead of months. Months because I don't burn in my headphones as I'm careful with my gear especially when I'm not there. Today I'm again on vacation so I'll do burn in next to me while I hit some tv.

See what happens

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #163 of 1,495
The iFi Bass Boost works quite nicely :D

Thanks!

I didn't try their 3D option but I imagine it would also help open things up a bit at the cost of some vocal body

Our XBass tech is in general liked, but our 3D spacing filter is a more polarizing affair that some people like a lot, while others won't engage it no matter what. On some recordings it does a lot though and in a way to not dilute imaging.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 17, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #164 of 1,495
I understand you can use a balanced cable with 3.5mm dual mono plugs on the headphone connections. For example, I plan to use the balanced cables I bought for my Focal Radiance.

True, with caveats...

There is a cutout in the earcups that limits the diameter of 3.5 connectors that can be used. Pics below show the included Meze cables, plain earcup connectors with cutouts visible, and a Corpse Cable I own showing an example of a connector that fits well. I also tried a stock Focal cable, and that does not fit.

20211116_125150.jpg
20211116_131606.jpg
20211116_151552.jpg

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #165 of 1,495
Andy, please ask Meze to offer a longer balanced cable with 4-pin XLR. Some of us may not want to take these cans outside!
Cheers and Thanks! :beerchug:
-HK sends

On going project already. The Copper and Silver-plated PCUHD upgrade cables will be available in both mXLR (for Empyrean and Elite) and 3.5mm TS headphone connectors (for Liric). Depends on the timing of supply chain, they should be available in 1.5 to 2 months time.

Maybe you should ordered your Liric and tried it out in your system to determine whether you want the copper or the silver-plated cable. Don't just assume silver-plated is always better, its can be a matter of synergy between your amplifier and the Liric.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back