Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Sep 16, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #1,156 of 1,495
I have Meze Liric with Ifi Gryphon and Forza Claire hybrid balanced cables. I listen the Spotify music through phone.

Any suggestions what would be the next steps to improve the listening experience? Better streaming channel? Digital audio player?
How do you connect the phone to the Gryphon? Usb cable or bluetooth? If bluetooth, then cable would be the first step. Then try Qobuz. It normally offers one month free trial.

Sep 17, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #1,157 of 1,495
How do you connect the phone to the Gryphon? Usb cable or bluetooth? If bluetooth, then cable would be the first step. Then try Qobuz. It normally offers one month free trial.
Thanks for reply! 👍

With USB cable. The bluetooth makes the sound significantly weaker.

I have thought to try Tidal. It also has one month trial. Is Qobuz Berger than Tidal?

Are digital audio players remarkably Berger than phone? For example Sony nw-wm1am2?

Sep 17, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #1,158 of 1,495
I was actually surprised when I saw people mention that. I actually had the boost the lower mids and lower the upper treble because I didn't find the Lirics as warm as I'd like them to be stock. I definitely agree with the other poster with Liric being slightly V shaped. It's a definitely an air headphone (like the higher end Hifiman headphones).

Liric is not warm but is not airy like hifiman Arya for instance. I mostly use Liric on the go with mojo 2 and drop 3db @ 3khz and increase 3db @20khz which moderate the peak at 6-7k. These are the most amazing over ear headphone for on the go with very good passive isolation.
I just don’t like Stellia’s timbre and find them too harsh and no EQ can fix that for me. Moreover, I don’t like EQ and only use it on mojo because of ease of use.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,159 of 1,495
Thanks for reply! 👍

With USB cable. The bluetooth makes the sound significantly weaker.

I have thought to try Tidal. It also has one month trial. Is Qobuz Berger than Tidal?

Are digital audio players remarkably Berger than phone? For example Sony nw-wm1am2?
I changed from phone+dac/amp to DAP due to comfort reasons. It is easier to move around with one device than two stacked and bounded by cable. Getting rid of the usb cable might also add to sound quality.
I do not know neither Gryphon nor the Sony. I can recommend the Hiby R8.

Regarding Tidal/Qobuz there are different views. You can try both and form your own opinion. I have done it already, I would recommend Qobuz.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #1,160 of 1,495
I changed from phone+dac/amp to DAP due to comfort reasons. It is easier to move around with one device than two stacked and bounded by cable. Getting rid of the usb cable might also add to sound quality.

Regarding Tidal/Qobuz there are different views. You can try both and form your own opinion. I have done it already, I would recommend Qobuz.
Thanks! 👍

So the DAP don't need dac/amp? I have always let myself believe that one would always need dac/amp despite the source of music. 🤦

Anyone in a need of Gryphon? 🤭

Sep 17, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #1,161 of 1,495
Thanks! 👍

So the DAP don't need dac/amp? I have always let myself believe that one would always need dac/amp despite the source of music. 🤦

Anyone in a need of Gryphon? 🤭
As an example, the iBasso DX320 with amp12 rivals desktop amp power output.
I too couldn’t believe DAPs had that much power.

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #1,162 of 1,495

I'm considering the Hiby R8.

How well does it actually perform comparing the real dac/amp set? Does it have EQ in it? Or bass boost?

I really enjoy the Gryphon bass boost into Liric.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,163 of 1,495
Any Liric owners in the Bay Area? Want to see if I can demo them. I don’t have any good cans right now mostly just Shanglin M9 to my CIEMs. If you want to listen to M9, we can meet up somewhere.

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #1,164 of 1,495
16DCD9DE-942A-48C0-9070-B7035E9C0E59.jpeg

Finally arrived :) Premium cable is nice!

Initial impressions are very positive! From everything I read I thought they’d suit my sound preference and certainly seems that way.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #1,165 of 1,495
16DCD9DE-942A-48C0-9070-B7035E9C0E59.jpeg

Finally arrived :) Premium cable is nice!

Initial impressions are very positive! From everything I read I thought they’d suit my sound preference and certainly seems that way.
Enjoy they are great

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #1,166 of 1,495
I also received the new Liric on Saturday and initial impression was just...ok :) coming from BD 1990 pro I needed to EQ Liric a bit - at least for me I needed to bring down the region around 1kHz for starters and small boost in the >10kHz. Before I got them I was afraid that bass wont be good by reading other people thoughts. But bass is really nice, extends low, it is not pumping but rumbling correctly, exactly how I like it without EQ but then again nothing new and special. After couple of days of using them I notice a bit more details in the music I was listening to, or maybe it is placebo because of the reviews I listened to. Soundstage feels a bit less than BDs or the same mostly. I understand they need some time to burn in so that also might be the case.

I was overwhelmed by reviews and talk about the 2 separate drivers for bass and rest of the region so I was expecting a WOW when I hear it. But for now I feel like there is little improvement from my previous headphones and that is after playing with EQ. Only thing which I am hoping for is testing them on better source (currently I have Xduoo ta-10R with custom Siemens tube, not the the one which came with it). I want to try them on Chord products because people also say the synergy is good with them. So the bottom line is, they sound good, but I was expecting really big jump from the BDs.

On the other hand build quality is amazing, for now I am keeping them because they are on another level of comfort. BDs feel like a helmet in comparison to Liric. I wear them for 6h and don't feel them. Also waiting for Forza cable just for cosmetic purposes :)

Sep 28, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #1,167 of 1,495
Thought I had a dud short 3.5mm cable however it appears there’s something wrong with the left driver, when I move the cup it cut outs :frowning2: not had great luck with my two latest purchases, my Grado GS3000x had a chip and a cup misaligned and now this. Hopefully it won’t take too long to get a replacement.

Oct 10, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #1,168 of 1,495
Distributer had to wait for a new shipment to arrive but thankfully being sent out now, should be here by the end of the week :)

Have been missing what these cans delivered in my short time with them, can’t wait to get them back on my ears!

Funny story, my second GS3000x had unbalanced drivers so going for third time lucky on them.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #1,169 of 1,495
17AEB861-52A9-4F46-97C7-38B73FD0F7E7.jpeg

Take two - fingers crossed but appears to be no issues with this pair after an hour of listening :)

Pairing with the Mojo2 seems to be on point, will try them through my desktop amps later on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back