MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Oct 7, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #871 of 5,614
After upgrading from Empyrean to Susvara, I don't really think I am missing the soul of the songs in most cases. Surely, empyrean had more bass quantity and thicker mids but Susvaras sound stage is largest I have heard, dynamics are better and low end is way more better than something like Hifiman Arya. Songs where the details and extra dynamics get fatiguing (let's say metal songs) and I prefer a bit more bass or warmer presentation from my HP, only then I like to pick up the Empyrean. Another caveat of susvara is, it needs a lot more power than the Empyrean. Watts aren't everything but that doesn't mean I can expect the best performance of Susvara from a HP that barely outputs 3W. But the Empyrean runs super nicely on my M6 pro Dap (600 mW) and ifi idsd signature.

... and that can be interpreted as Elite and Empyrean offer more opportunity to enjoy music? :wink:

Being portable friendly will open up a lot of scenario, including transportable around your house, or frequent travelling when we have that option when the pandemic become an non-issue.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 7, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #872 of 5,614
That seems to be true.
The Empyrean was already very good with the Euforia but the Elite is at least a notch above.
The slightly leaner presentation (compared to the Empyrean) takes great advantage of the tube (and class A) fullness and holography highly raising the experience.
For example from all the Dap and dongles I have tested the Elite the best pairing was with iBasso DX300 with AMP12.
So good that you can easily stop there.
Now let's see how it fairs with the C9 😉

Now let's see how it fairs with the C9 X2 😉😉😉

By this weekend? :fingers_crossed:

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #873 of 5,614
I prefer the Empyrean with tubes.
There are actually quite a lot of amps it pairs well with in its price range.

Feliks Euforia AE
Cayin Ha-6a
LTA Microzotl 3
McIntosh MHA200

Personally I used to own the Cayin and it was an excellent pairing

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #874 of 5,614
I'm thinking about pairing the meze with a chord dave or a tt2+msclarer (or maybe something else?)

thoughts?

I have setup two demo systems with Chord and Elite when I administer a show for Meze Audio recently: Dave as All-in-One with iMac as digital source, and TT2 + HeadAmp GS-X2 with a DAP as digital source.

Base on the user feedback on first day, Dave and Elite is a perfect blend of High Resolution and musicality. The TT2+GS-X2 is an audiophile paradise: stellar dynamic, holographic soundstage and natural tonality. Apparently they appeal to two different group of audience. Since the show is packed with audiophile visitors in general, I keep the Elite with TT2+HeadAmp, and swapped an Empyrean with the Dave. As expected, the Dave bring the Empyrean to the next level.

Meze with HeadAmp.jpg

Meze with Dave.jpg

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #875 of 5,614
I prefer the Empyrean with tubes.
There are actually quite a lot of amps it pairs well with in its price range.

Feliks Euforia AE
Cayin Ha-6a
LTA Microzotl 3
McIntosh MHA200

Personally I used to own the Cayin and it was an excellent pairing

Yes, I do recall our previous discussion on HA-6A thread.
What is your prefer setting with HA-6A when you pair it with Empyrean? KT88 or EL34? Triode or ultralinear?

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #876 of 5,614
I'd say the Empyrean and Susvara don't really compete with each other.
They have vastly different presentations for different needs.

I own the Solitaire P and Empyrean, which are in a similar relation. Both have their distinct use cases.
I am not saying Meze is supposed to compete but saying susvara has no soul is a bit harsh. Literally every single comparative reviews of susvara I am come through, mentioned that it's more laid back than 1266 tc & Utopia. That's why I find it odd when someone says it soulless. Infact, I expected the susvara to be super detail oriented, fatiguing, lean/thin sounding in the mids (like Arya) but I was positively surprised

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #877 of 5,614
Yes, I do recall our previous discussion on HA-6A thread.
What is your prefer setting with HA-6A when you pair it with Empyrean? KT88 or EL34? Triode or ultralinear?
I preferred KT88 in Triode mode for most of the music.
Ultralinear for EDM.

EL34 was the best for mid centric music imo.

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #880 of 5,614
Oct 8, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #882 of 5,614
I have setup two demo systems with Chord and Elite when I administer a show for Meze Audio recently: Dave as All-in-One with iMac as digital source, and TT2 + HeadAmp GS-X2 with a DAP as digital source.

Base on the user feedback on first day, Dave and Elite is a perfect blend of High Resolution and musicality. The TT2+GS-X2 is an audiophile paradise: stellar dynamic, holographic soundstage and natural tonality. Apparently they appeal to two different group of audience. Since the show is packed with audiophile visitors in general, I keep the Elite with TT2+HeadAmp, and swapped an Empyrean with the Dave. As expected, the Dave bring the Empyrean t

Base on the user feedback on first day, Dave and Elite is a perfect blend of High Resolution and musicality. The TT2+GS-X2 is an audiophile paradise: stellar dynamic, holographic soundstage and natural tonality. Apparently they appeal to two different group of audience. Since the show is packed with audiophile visitors in general, I keep the Elite with TT2+HeadAmp, and swapped an Empyrean with the Dave. As expected, the Dave bring the Empyrean to the next level.

Meze with HeadAmp.jpg

Meze with Dave.jpg
hey thanks for the reply! I'm thinking now about just full sending into a Bartok , will that headphone amp match well with the elites?

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #883 of 5,614
hey thanks for the reply! I'm thinking now about just full sending into a Bartok , will that headphone amp match well with the elites?
Most likely, it certainly has all the Juice needed.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #884 of 5,614

I didn't have the opportunity to try out this combination, but I have no reason to doubt the capability of the Bartok based on my previous experience with Bartok and Empyrean combo. In my opinion, anything that works well with Empyrean will not be disappointed with Elite, the sound signature of the Elite is not significantly different from Empyrean, the improvement was mainly on technicality aspects which will unlikely affect the synergy factor.

1633714002677.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back