MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Oct 6, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #856 of 5,614
Yes, that's Cayin N3Pro, coaxial out to TT2.
Maybe I am the odd one out, I prefre coaxial over USB with Chord gears, especially when Meze headphones is the spotlight of the system. I want to highlight the natural presentation which I believe is the essence of Meze sound signature.
Nice to see you with Meze now :)

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #857 of 5,614
Yes, that's Cayin N3Pro, coaxial out to TT2.
Maybe I am the odd one out, I prefre coaxial over USB with Chord gears, especially when Meze headphones is the spotlight of the system. I want to highlight the natural presentation which I believe is the essence of Meze sound signature.
Yes , the natural presentation and Elite takes it to a whole new level.
Reality meets headphones.

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #858 of 5,614
I would really like to read some impressions on the Elite from someone who also owns the Empyrean and D8000/D8000pro.

I own the Empyrean and D8000 and can't decide if the Elite should be to my interest or not. The Empyrean is a soft and sweet listen which I love, but admittedly not the cleanest and most resolving in this multi thousand dollar gang. The D8000 has a smaller soundstage but it has a much more accurate, cleaner and more resolving, more dynamic sound which I really enjoy these days.

I know how the Susvara sounds and IMO it is pretty much the perfect sound (balance). At the same time I wish it had a bit more 'soul' and 'body'.
I also really like Audeze for its punchy, clean, flat and dynamic bass. But even on the LCD4 the upper mids/treble can sound a bit shadowed/closed-in compared to other headphones in the category, even when we compare the LCD4 (a technically more capable headphone) to the Empyrean (which is more open and airier) but less resolving in the upper frequencies.

I am not asking about the DCA Stealth as unfortunately I never got on with the woolly and unrefined Mr Speaker's sound. (Even though I really appreciate Dan and his dedication, his sound is just simply not my cup of tea.)

I guess my question is, how much more technical/clear/refined/dynamic the Elite is vs. the Empyrean and does it match D8000 dynamics and bass impact?

I am fully aware, I must try to know but at the same time I appreciate any insights.

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #859 of 5,614
Now let me be straight. I have never seen the couch in person but here is my take away based on the pictures. With the Empyrean the annoying thing for me is the way the cups just swing around freely, especially when on a regular headphone stand. With the couch the cup in the rear looks like it can do just that. Give me a minute and I'll add a picture of what I use to this post.20211006_151916.jpg
I know exactly what you mean. I prefer T style headphone stand over Omega stand, but with Empyrean or Elite, it just won't sit on the stand properly, and the cups are always tilted downward, not the best angle to displace the beautiful Empyrean/Elite earcup by all means. The couch is a totally different story.

In addition, although the couche is a fairly big headphone stand, it can be flat-packed and you can setup the couch from flat-packed to upright in 5 seconds. I am not joking, literally 5 second or less. Antonio is a genius in product design. Everything small detail are well consided.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 6, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #860 of 5,614
Yes , the natural presentation and Elite takes it to a whole new level.
Reality meets headphones.

Give me FIVE! :beerchug:

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #861 of 5,614

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #862 of 5,614
Now let me be straight. I have never seen the couch in person but here is my take away based on the pictures. With the Empyrean the annoying thing for me is the way the cups just swing around freely, especially when on a regular headphone stand. With the couch the cup in the rear looks like it can do just that. Give me a minute and I'll add a picture of what I use to this post.
FWIW the cups will stay put. Never had a situation where the cup hanging off the back of the couch spun.

That said, placing the Empyrean on the couch takes a bit more time compared to the traditional T-Type stand- especially given the cost of the Empyreans. I am OCD about how the Empyrean sits on the couch, to the point where I have to make sure the front facing earcup is perfectly flat against the couch surface directly above the Meze logo. I also make sure the headband sits perfectly centered along the top edge of the couch on the "r" in Empyrean, evenly spaced from right and left edge. :)

Come to think about it, kinda like adjusting the position of a painting on a wall.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #864 of 5,614
FWIW the cups will stay put. Never had a situation where the cup hanging off the back of the couch spun.

That said, placing the Empyrean on the couch takes a bit more time compared to the traditional T-Type stand- especially given the cost of the Empyreans. I am OCD about how the Empyrean sits on the couch, to the point where I have to make sure the front facing earcup is perfectly flat against the couch surface directly above the Meze logo. I also make sure the headband sits perfectly centered along the top edge of the couch on the "r" in Empyrean, evenly spaced from right and left edge. :)

Come to think about it, kinda like adjusting the position of a painting on a wall.
Adjusting the position of a painting on a wall, that's right on.

Yes, it probably takes more time to place the Empyrean/Elite on the couch probably, but that's because you know its impossible to get it right with a T-stand so you just wont bother.:wink:

Oct 6, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #865 of 5,614
Interesting, The Forza is great but not preferred with Empyrean, but you like the Forza with Elite. A lot of users will simply go for a more expensive cable when they moved up to a more expensive headphone, but you apparently know your synergy and preference when you select your headphone cable.

What is the headphone amplifier you are using when you select these cables for Empyrean and Elite? Headphone cable is the bridge between the amplifier and the headphone. Knowing your amplifier help us to appreciate your choice of cable.

The three amps I use are Phonitor X, Euforia AE with insane tube roll, and HA-2SF. All off RME ADI 2-FS. Ok 4 amps, and also GSX Mini in the office setup. My preferred cables per headphone do not change across amps. I prefer the tube amps over SS with Elite. This is less the case, but still true for Empy.

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #866 of 5,614
I would really like to read some impressions on the Elite from someone who also owns the Empyrean and D8000/D8000pro.

I own the Empyrean and D8000 and can't decide if the Elite should be to my interest or not. The Empyrean is a soft and sweet listen which I love, but admittedly not the cleanest and most resolving in this multi thousand dollar gang. The D8000 has a smaller soundstage but it has a much more accurate, cleaner and more resolving, more dynamic sound which I really enjoy these days.

I know how the Susvara sounds and IMO it is pretty much the perfect sound (balance). At the same time I wish it had a bit more 'soul' and 'body'.
I also really like Audeze for its punchy, clean, flat and dynamic bass. But even on the LCD4 the upper mids/treble can sound a bit shadowed/closed-in compared to other headphones in the category, even when we compare the LCD4 (a technically more capable headphone) to the Empyrean (which is more open and airier) but less resolving in the upper frequencies.

I am not asking about the DCA Stealth as unfortunately I never got on with the woolly and unrefined Mr Speaker's sound. (Even though I really appreciate Dan and his dedication, his sound is just simply not my cup of tea.)

I guess my question is, how much more technical/clear/refined/dynamic the Elite is vs. the Empyrean and does it match D8000 dynamics and bass impact?

I am fully aware, I must try to know but at the same time I appreciate any insights.
After upgrading from Empyrean to Susvara, I don't really think I am missing the soul of the songs in most cases. Surely, empyrean had more bass quantity and thicker mids but Susvaras sound stage is largest I have heard, dynamics are better and low end is way more better than something like Hifiman Arya. Songs where the details and extra dynamics get fatiguing (let's say metal songs) and I prefer a bit more bass or warmer presentation from my HP, only then I like to pick up the Empyrean. Another caveat of susvara is, it needs a lot more power than the Empyrean. Watts aren't everything but that doesn't mean I can expect the best performance of Susvara from a HP that barely outputs 3W. But the Empyrean runs super nicely on my M6 pro Dap (600 mW) and ifi idsd signature.

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #867 of 5,614
After upgrading from Empyrean to Susvara, I don't really think I am missing the soul of the songs in most cases. Surely, empyrean had more bass quantity and thicker mids but Susvaras sound stage is largest I have heard, dynamics are better and low end is way more better than something like Hifiman Arya. Songs where the details and extra dynamics get fatiguing (let's say metal songs) and I prefer a bit more bass or warmer presentation from my HP, only then I like to pick up the Empyrean. Another caveat of susvara is, it needs a lot more power than the Empyrean. Watts aren't everything but that doesn't mean I can expect the best performance of Susvara from a HP that barely outputs 3W. But the Empyrean runs super nicely on my M6 pro Dap (600 mW) and ifi idsd signature.
I'd say the Empyrean and Susvara don't really compete with each other.
They have vastly different presentations for different needs.

I own the Solitaire P and Empyrean, which are in a similar relation. Both have their distinct use cases.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #868 of 5,614
I'm thinking about pairing the meze with a chord dave or a tt2+msclarer (or maybe something else?)

thoughts?

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #869 of 5,614
The three amps I use are Phonitor X, Euforia AE with insane tube roll, and HA-2SF. All off RME ADI 2-FS. Ok 4 amps, and also GSX Mini in the office setup. My preferred cables per headphone do not change across amps. I prefer the tube amps over SS with Elite. This is less the case, but still true for Empy.

I prefer solid state with Empyrean, but I have a feeling that the Elite should work great with tube headphone amplifier, or solid state with a lush and warmish tilt sound signature. Your impression is a very helpful indicator to new Elite users. :beerchug:

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #870 of 5,614
I prefer solid state with Empyrean, but I have a feeling that the Elite should work great with tube headphone amplifier, or solid state with a lush and warmish tilt sound signature. Your impression is a very helpful indicator to new Elite users. :beerchug:
That seems to be true.
The Empyrean was already very good with the Euforia but the Elite is at least a notch above.
The slightly leaner presentation (compared to the Empyrean) takes great advantage of the tube (and class A) fullness and holography highly raising the experience.
For example from all the Dap and dongles I have tested the Elite the best pairing was with iBasso DX300 with AMP12.
So good that you can easily stop there.
Now let's see how it fairs with the C9 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back