MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
May 30, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #4,771 of 5,594
From my reading I am getting the Elites are a bit more musical/organic than the D8000pro which are a bit more technical. Am I reading this right or wrong from those who know both?

May 30, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #4,772 of 5,594
I was deciding between the Caldera and Final D8000 for my big planar upgrade down the road from the LCDX , but after reading a lot it sounds like I'll get the Elite. A little less technical than the D8000 but they seem to have a bit more musical sound while still being pretty technical, just not as much. I think I like the sound of that better. Just from all my reading.

Based on your 109 Pro, I bet you will have great time with Elite!

May 30, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #4,773 of 5,594
From my reading I am getting the Elites are a bit more musical/organic than the D8000pro which are a bit more technical. Am I reading this right or wrong from those who know both?
Based on a recent long audition I did with both, yes that's a good summation. I ordered the Elite after my audition.

May 30, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #4,774 of 5,594
I would expect 'extra detail, air and soundstage' too based on what I read and even based on the difference between the hybrid and the og Alcantara pads. The question for me is: do you find the bass perhaps different but equally satisfying compared to the hybrid pads? (I am still hesitating to throw £200 on a lottery ticket.)
Hi betula. I've prepared and attached PEQ profiles based on the measurements in post #4,604 which you and others may use for a preview of what the Angled Alcantara pads' tonal balance is like; trying this PEQ may or may not save you $200. I was originally also going to do a frequency-by-frequency volume matching of pure tones for a PEQ profile most accurate to my ears, but found that after doing a general volume match between the EQed hybrid pads and my actual Angled Alcantara pads, this PEQ already has them sounding extremely similar to my ears, at least when listening to pink noise. Other owners of Angled Alcantara pads can also try these PEQ profiles out to confirm and determine whether perceived soundstaging or imaging differences remain.

2023-05-30_20-48-04 - Meze Elite hybrid to angled Alcantara pad PEQ based on oratory1990 measu...png

Meze Elite hybrid to Angled Alcantara pad PEQ based on oratory1990 measurements​

Attached files:
The attached files are immediately compatible with Equalizer APO using the "+ -> Control -> Include" feature provided that they are all put into the same folder. Otherwise, when transferring the parameters into your PEQ app of choice, note the following conversion: "Preamp" means digital preamp or volume control; "LSC" means low-shelf filter; "HSC" means high-shelf filter; "PK" means peaking filter; "Fc" denotes the frequency center.
  1. "Meze Elite -hybrid to angled Alcantara pad simulation.txt" is the top-level file second only to Equalizer APO's config.txt. The -4.6 dB digital preamp prevents the EQ profile from causing digital clipping.
  2. From this file, I have an "Include" that allows me to quickly switch on and off "Meze Elite - hybrid to angled Alcantara pad simulation - oratory1990 measurements - PEQ.txt" which contains all the parametric filters for simulating the Angled Alcantara pads' frequency response through the hybrid pads. The treble and top octave is where the most error is likely to be, but for practical purposes, I found the general treble brightness to have been well matched between my hybrid pads PEQ profile and my actual Angled Alcantara pads.
  3. I also included the original "Meze Elite - hybrid to angled Alcantara pad simulation - oratory1990 measurements - GraphicEQ.txt" that I created from the graph in post #4,604 (I was too lazy to track down the original CSV files and automate this, but I also like the freedom to "interpret" which features should be transferred when doing it by hand),
  4. and the "Meze Elite - hybrid to angled Alcantara pad simulation - oratory1990 measurements - PEQ - inverted.txt" that I applied to the GraphicEQ file to derive the equivalent and smoothened PEQ.
I will from now on refer to these files by their number.

A/B volume matching instructions:
These instructions by default apply to Equalizer APO, but include tips on how to simulate it with other EQ apps. At the minimum, the alternative EQ app should support quickly switching between EQ profiles and specifying digital preamp or volume control dB values within those profiles. Equalizer APO has the benefit of supporting the nesting of EQ profiles.
  • Comparing the hybrid pads to the Angled Alcantara PEQ tonality:
    1. Install the hybrid pads.
    2. Within File #1, keep the -4.6 dB preamp enabled.
    3. Within File #1, make sure that the first "Include" points to File #2.
    4. Within File #2, disable the -2.4 dB preamp.
    5. Play your reference track or pink noise.
    6. Within File #1, switching the first "Include" on and off will now demonstrate the difference between these pads' frequency responses as normalized (volume matched) about 1 kHz.
    7. Emulation with non-nesting EQ apps:
      1. Create EQ Profile #1 with a -4.6 dB digital preamp.
      2. Create EQ Profile #2 with a -4.6 dB digital preamp and all the parametric filters in File #2 except for the -2.4 dB preamp.
      3. Use the EQ app to switch directly between EQ Profile #1 and #2.
  • Comparing the Angled Alcantara PEQ to the actual Angled Alcantara pads:
    2. Within File #1, keep the -4.6 dB preamp enabled.
    4. Within File #2, enable the -2.4 dB preamp. Note that you may need to tweak this -2.4 dB value up or down to get a proper volume match for comparison, else what you are hearing are indeed remaining deviations in frequency response between the EQed hybrid pads and the actual Angled Alcantara pads.
    5. Within File #1, switch the first "Include" on. Listen to your reference track or pink noise.
    6. Install the actual Angled Alcantara pads.
    7. Within File #1, switch the first "Include" off. Listen to your reference track or pink noise.
    8. Rinse and repeat until you are convinced that this PEQ is accurate or inaccurate for your ears.
    9. Emulation with non-nesting EQ apps:
      1. Create EQ Profile #1 with a -4.6 dB digital preamp.
      2. Create EQ Profile #2 with a -7 dB digital preamp and all the parametric filters in File #2 except for the -2.4 dB preamp (already included in the -7 dB).
      3. Use the EQ app to switch to EQ Profile #1 when the actual Angled Alcantara pads are installed and EQ Profile #2 when the hybrid pads are installed.
  • Comparing the Angled Alcantara PEQ tonality to my "Neutral Reference V2.2b" PEQ:
    2. Within File #1, turn on all the -4.6 dB, -3.6 dB, and 1.5 dB preamps.
    4. Within File #2, disable the -2.4 dB preamp.
    5. Play your reference track or pink noise.
    6. Within config.txt, switch between File #1 and any of the files shared in post #4,768.
    7. Decide whether you find the latter EQ profiles "cleaner" or more "natural" or "balanced".
    8. Emulation with non-nesting EQ apps:
      1. Create EQ Profile #1 with a -6.7 dB digital preamp and all the parametric filters in File #2 except for the -2.4 dB preamp.
      2. Create EQ Profile #2 with all the digital preamps and parametric filters within your choice of file from post #4,768.
      3. Use the EQ app to switch directly between EQ Profile #1 and #2.
    9. You may optionally substitute File #1 or EQ Profile #1 with a global -4.3 dB (-4.6 dB - 3.6 dB + 1.5 dB + 2.4 dB) digital preamp used when listening through the actual Angled Alcantara pads; the files from post #4,768 must still be used with the hybrid pads.
I dont like to EQ headphones as I feel it is an endless pit like tube rolling.
Funny enough, as much as I advocate for EQ, "an endless pit like tube rolling" does actually describe my past few weeks of listening to sine sweeps and pink noise in chasing for those last peaks to smooth out. It is chasing a theoretically ideal sound for as long as I don't have access to a high-end reference system to show me what "true" neutrality or transparency sounds like.

Attachments

• Meze Elite - hybrid to angled Alcantara pad simulation.txt
    536 bytes · Views: 0
  • Meze Elite - hybrid to angled Alcantara pad simulation - oratory1990 measurements - PEQ.txt
    872 bytes · Views: 0
  • Meze Elite - hybrid to angled Alcantara pad simulation - oratory1990 measurements - GraphicEQ.txt
    721 bytes · Views: 0
  • Meze Elite - hybrid to angled Alcantara pad simulation - oratory1990 measurements - PEQ - inve...txt
    869 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #4,775 of 5,594
Hardly late-breaking news, but after months of enjoying them, I must praise the Elites as the most perfect phones my ears have heard, at least at this stage of my head-fi journey. Just an ideal balance of detail, tonal accuracy, and enthralling musicality. Bass, mids, and highs are all assertive but have a natural, effortless balance that allows you to immerse yourself in the music without being distracted by tonal anomalies. The Elites make it difficult to listen to anything else. Well done, Meze!

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #4,776 of 5,594
Hardly late-breaking news, but after months of enjoying them, I must praise the Elites as the most perfect phones my ears have heard, at least at this stage of my head-fi journey. Just an ideal balance of detail, tonal accuracy, and enthralling musicality. Bass, mids, and highs are all assertive but have a natural, effortless balance that allows you to immerse yourself in the music without being distracted by tonal anomalies. The Elites make it difficult to listen to anything else. Well done, Meze!
After comparing them to basically everything at the munich high end, I can confidently say that the Elite are the most complete headphones currently on the market

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #4,777 of 5,594
These are my most frequently used headphones. It depends on your music preference. At this level, both of them are great technical performers but they have different focus. If you need a more balanced, more spacious, and a slightly colored(in a good way) tuning at mid to mid-treble go with Elite. If you like more engagement, speed, micro-dynamic, and slightly more details and don't care about the physical weight go with D8kp.

To me if I want to listen to some general pop, blues, some classic, guitar and piano acoustics Elite all day, every day. If I want Metal, Progressive Metal/Rock, Funk/Jazz Fusion, EDM I go with D8KP.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jun 2, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #4,778 of 5,594
These are my most frequently used headphones. It depends on your music preference. At this level, both of them are great technical performers but they have different focus. If you need a more balanced, more spacious, and a slightly colored(in a good way) tuning at mid to mid-treble go with Elite. If you like more engagement, speed, micro-dynamic, and slightly more details and don't care about the physical weight go with D8kp.

To me if I want to listen to some general pop, blues, some classic, guitar and piano acoustics Elite all day, every day. If I want Metal, Progressive Metal/Rock, Funk/Jazz Fusion, EDM I go with D8KP.
I want metal, rock, prog and all the sorts, but all day and every day :D

For me the _only_ candidate is empyrean and elite so I ended up here. This headphone really has it all and is built to be comfortable all day.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,779 of 5,594
After comparing them to basically everything at the munich high end, I can confidently say that the Elite are the most complete headphones currently on the market
How does it compare to the Pulsar?
I tried it in Munich, but too shortly, and probably not with my music, so the impression is gone.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #4,780 of 5,594
How does it compare to the Pulsar?
I tried it in Munich, but too shortly, and probably not with my music, so the impression is gone.
Completely different beasts.
The Pulsar is the most realistic reproduction of a Piano, but apart from that the Elite bests it in everything.

The Pulsar is really a "one trick pony" but if Piano renditions are your Jam, it's the perfect headphone

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #4,782 of 5,594
Jun 3, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #4,783 of 5,594
What's the Star8?
It's their new silver cable, which unlike most other cables, makes a lot more of a difference, due to the headphone itself having 0.1 ohms impedance, less than the cable. Compared to the difference that makes vs the stock cable, not sure I can reliably tell any other cables make a meaningful difference for any other headphones. Don't get me started on Mitch's filters :)

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #4,784 of 5,594
It's their new silver cable, which unlike most other cables, makes a lot more of a difference, due to the headphone itself having 0.1 ohms impedance, less than the cable. Compared to the difference that makes vs the stock cable, not sure I can reliably tell any other cables make a meaningful difference for any other headphones. Don't get me started on Mitch's filters :)
That means the CA-1A I auditioned Was most likely wothout the Star8.

The CA-1A was super detailed but a little thin sounding with the open pads (I missed the other ones)
I can certainly see others love the CA-1A.
I'd also imagine that mitchs filters could "solve" that, but that’s pure speculationq on my part.
The Pads are a lot comfier than one would imagine from pictures.

The Yamahas were too bright with not enough Bass for my taste. Crossed them off my list.

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #4,785 of 5,594
I'd also imagine that mitchs filters could "solve" that, but that’s pure speculationq on my part.
I'd honestly go as far as saying his filters changed the way I will go about buying headphones from now on. I only care about technical performance and comfort and find the filters a must. They also open up the door for a SR1B for me.
I can't seem to go back to any stock tuning, and it's shocking how much of a difference 200$ can make. Even resolution just gets turned up to 11, not to mention soundstage and clarity. The Ca-1A, out of the box , with stock cable, is just a completely different headphone, and not in the same league.
I see Mitch has filters for the Empyrean, but not Elite sadly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back