MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Oct 15, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #3,286 of 5,640
Ah nice timing, as there has been discussion about cables: First off, cables are the last thing you want to upgrade, unless the cable is stiff and uncomfortable. Upgrade your listening surroundings like your chair before you buy cables :wink:
I bought used Forza Noir Copper Series HPC Mk2 cable for my Elites, as the original cable that came with the package was too stiff and i don't want to spend excess amounts of cash for cables. I started to listen to songs, and at one point noticed that dam this one song sounds better than usual, and this happened again with another song. So i compared the cable to the Meze cable back and fourth. Now these remarks can be because of placebo but: The Forza has a better clarity, and the backround of songs seems to have less noise also Meze cable makes vocals sound harsh in comparison(meze is xlr variant and noir is 4.4mm, used adapter to connect Noir to xlr. I am not a believer in cables, and like i said, upgrade those last.

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #3,287 of 5,640
There are plenty of positive Elite reviews too, but more in writing than on YouTube.
I would say YouTube reviews are 60% positive 40% negative while written reviews are 90% positive and 10% negative.
As always, some negative sources are just louder than the positive ones.
Oops, replied to wrong post (probably an age thing :wink:). See below…

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #3,288 of 5,640
It does seem odd that outside of this thread, there is very little real substantive positive reviewing of the Elite headphones. However to my ears these cans are darn near perfect and tick all the boxes I was looking for. I have gotten over 100 hours listening time in, and the sound stage has to be one of the most striking features. The 4z I think have a slightly darker thicker presentation, with mids on Elite perhaps a bit more prominent, and overall slightly more neutral. Crank 'em up some and the Elite will rock your world though with a tight clean hard-hitting bass. Very satisfying. Add in the comfort factor with build quality, and the Elite are just that. Could have maybe just a tad more sparkle up top, but then I am 63 and it is entirely possible my hearing up there is not what it used to be. YMMV on that one... Over all, value is there all the way around. Personally I am extremely satisfied with these cans. Will replace the pads on the 4z (again) and put those in the case. End of an era figuratively.

So irrespective of reviewers accuracy or not, the Elite just work perfectly fine. Love these cans.
I could have written this post myself! I am 63 too and love the Elite. Interestingly, since I bought the Astell & Kern Acro CA1000 the Elite has really come alive (compared to SP2000T). Wonderful soundstage and imaging, a great sense of immersion, powerful yet controlled bass and a very black background. SP2000T will be sold, and likely Hugo 2/2Go combo too, when they return from repair.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #3,289 of 5,640
When my Hugo2 was still functional it was a very detailed dac that I used with external amp at home and portable used the internal amp. Extremely capable device. However now after its demise, getting the R2R ladder dac was a revelation to say the least. Amazing how much change can happen with upstream components. And a good silver cable does seem to play very nicely with the Elite.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #3,290 of 5,640
When my Hugo2 was still functional it was a very detailed dac that I used with external amp at home and portable used the internal amp. Extremely capable device. However now after its demise, getting the R2R ladder dac was a revelation to say the least. Amazing how much change can happen with upstream components. And a good silver cable does seem to play very nicely with the Elite.
Well I just auditioned the Dave vs a Linn Klimax Organic and the takeaway is..why I am I wasting my Saturday doing this lol.

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,291 of 5,640
About the copper 'upgrade' cables:

I've avoided silver upgrade cables ever since a too-bright experience with silver cables for Audeze, and so I ordered the copper upgrade cables for Meze Elite.

But I was shocked at the veiled sound that I heard, compared with the stock cable. The copper upgrade was actually a downgrade, with less clarity and transparency.

Have others experienced this, or is it a peculiarity of my system?
This interests me a lot, because the copper upgrade cable was quite the upgrade over the stock, haven’t experienced a veil on it. But coming from being a non cable believer before this, it’s been interesting.

I felt the stock cable boggled down on my home setup when it was handling 8 watts, but on more mobile setups it was better performing.

Not sure why though, I won’t pretend to understand cables, just observation.

Oct 15, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #3,292 of 5,640
About the copper 'upgrade' cables:

I've avoided silver upgrade cables ever since a too-bright experience with silver cables for Audeze, and so I ordered the copper upgrade cables for Meze Elite.

But I was shocked at the veiled sound that I heard, compared with the stock cable. The copper upgrade was actually a downgrade, with less clarity and transparency.

Have others experienced this, or is it a peculiarity of my system?
My experience is the polar opposite of yours with the stock and copper upgrade cables.

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,293 of 5,640
My experience is the polar opposite of yours with the stock and copper upgrade cables.
OK, I’ll accept the comments here that the Meze upgrade copper cables offer small to large improvements for most folks, and that silver might be an even more positive upgrade.
My ‘downgrade’ experience in comparing stock and copper cables would, then, be attributable to either / both (a) a defective pair, or (b) incompatibility with some other gear in my system.

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #3,294 of 5,640
OK, I’ll accept the comments here that the Meze upgrade copper cables offer small to large improvements for most folks, and that silver might be an even more positive upgrade.
My ‘downgrade’ experience in comparing stock and copper cables would, then, be attributable to either / both (a) a defective pair, or (b) incompatibility with some other gear in my system.
It could be a faulty cable but I did find that some burn in did change the sound a little.

This might well be brain burn in of course!

I would maybe stick with it for a bit and maybe do a little more a/b testing with it Vs the standard cable.

The silver plated copper upgrade cable sounded better immediately to me but the copper not instantly.

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #3,295 of 5,640
I've been using pure silver cables for like 5 years, and imo they're just better in all aspects, not really a synergy thing. The stock Meze cable is just bad. The silver plated one is definitely a big upgrade. If pure silver is an even bigger one, hard to say, but i think so.

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #3,296 of 5,640
I've been using pure silver cables for like 5 years, and imo they're just better in all aspects, not really a synergy thing. The stock Meze cable is just bad. The silver plated one is definitely a big upgrade. If pure silver is an even bigger one, hard to say, but i think so.
I use the Lavri Grand Silver with the Elites and it is superb. I can't speak for the Meze upgrade cables but the Grand is a step up from the FA Noir hybrid which I also have. The Forza Noir hybrid is, however, a complete steal for the money and a big upgrade over the stock Meze cable.

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #3,297 of 5,640
I use the Lavri Grand Silver with the Elites and it is superb. I can't speak for the Meze upgrade cables but the Grand is a step up from the FA Noir hybrid which I also have. The Forza Noir hybrid is, however, a complete steal for the money and a big upgrade over the stock Meze cable.
I've been curious about those. What kind of end connector did you get? I don't mean XLR or Pentaconn but Rhodium? Copper?

I may splash out!

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #3,298 of 5,640
I've been curious about those. What kind of end connector did you get? I don't mean XLR or Pentaconn but Rhodium? Copper?

I may splash out!
I've also got my 2nd Lavri grand for the Elites. Furutech mini XLR and Aeco gold plated copper. It's what they recommended.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #3,299 of 5,640
Thanks!

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #3,300 of 5,640

I may splash out!
I got the Furutech FT-610 mF mini XLRS which have Rhodium plated alpha phosphor bronze conductors and the Aeco XLR with Rhodium plated high purity copper pins. If you're going to splash out, spec these with your Grand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back