MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Oct 18, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #3,316 of 5,620
I am currently using Meze Liric and I love the sub bass on it but everything else is ...nothing special to my taste, and closed back sound as it was expected. So I want to upgrade to Elite but from other peoples talk and measurements sub bass region seems a bit lower on Elite. Just wandering if adding a low shelf can make it on the same level as on Liric? I mean I know it can be increased in volume but not sure if it will actually sound the same as on closed back after adding the low shelf.
The subbass on the Elite is not on the same level of quantity (minus a couple of db) as a LCD-3 Prefazor but matches it in quality. Your amp and DAC also make a difference. On most tube amps, the subbass will be lacking in quality and quantity. Whereas on a good solid state amp, it is fast and well defined. Something as small as going from PC USB to a good streamer to AES into my DAC improved the subbass (amongst other things). So yes you can eq the subbass but it will only improve the quantity.

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #3,317 of 5,620
I'm a happy owner of the Elite but I've been thinking about the Expanse to have a different experience. What's your source? Do you feel any fatigue after a longer listening?

From Chord TT2.

I think if you after the different taste then Expanse may be the right answer. Expanse is narrower, more forward sounding, focus more on linearity for each notes. Nope, not fatiguing at all.

However, while with good recording, both Elite and Expanse sound awesome, with bad recording Elite still sound acceptable and Expanse may sound horrible (that may lead to more fatiguing experience). For me both of this planar headphone are at the smoother side of spectrum (unlike HD800/Utopia/RAAL).

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #3,318 of 5,620
I couldn’t resist buying a headphone cable today even though I wasn’t in the market for one. I have been using a ZMF 2K Copper cable with my Elite for the last few months without issue. I kept reading about other Elite owners having positive experiences with silver headphone cables and got the itch to try one myself.

I initially had my eye on the silver-plated copper cable from Meze, but also kept a look out for a good deal on a full silver cable. I got lucky today and found someone selling a 6.35mm WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse cable that had Furutech mini-XLR connectors. This fit the bill perfectly as I only use single-ended amps. I have read over the years that this was a favorite cable for many owners of other TOTL headphones. It’s discontinued now, so finding it used is the only way to get your hands on it. It’s not super attractive to look at, but hopefully the sound will make up for the plain appearance. I’ll report back once I get a chance to compare it to my ZMF cable.

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #3,319 of 5,620
DCA Expanse vs Meze Elite:
Expanse is sound more "immediate", neutral, and intimate. Elite has more floating and airy effect, with sweetness tone through all spectrum. For percussion instrument, Elite hitting harder (cymbal, snare drum, bass drum). For micro detail in general, Expanse has better capability to render the smallest information.

Play some songs from Olivia Rodrigo:
With Expanse, it's like listening Olivia Rodrigo live in studio, simply pure and natural. With Elite, it feels like there is Sunset light entering the Studio that add poetic and dramatic effect.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #3,320 of 5,620
DCA Expanse vs Meze Elite:
Expanse is sound more "immediate", neutral, and intimate. Elite has more floating and airy effect, with sweetness tone through all spectrum. For percussion instrument, Elite hitting harder (cymbal, snare drum, bass drum). For micro detail in general, Expanse has better capability to render the smallest information.

Play some songs from Olivia Rodrigo:
With Expanse, it's like listening Olivia Rodrigo live in studio, simply pure and natural. With Elite, it feels like there is Sunset light entering the Studio that add poetic and dramatic effect.
I like that Golden Light the Elite provides... simply sublime SQ. Works for me. Check out on Tidal Maria Daines, sultry smoky sweet bluesy rock. OMG so fine.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,322 of 5,620
yep, just realised it, corrected my post and checking my PEQ... :rolling_eyes:
Checked my PEQ settings and I have set the right ones for the Elite but these are too boomy as mentioned, therefore interested trying out the Resolve settings.
Dunno why but I am finding Elite too lean lately (with Hybrid pads) for my taste but as I see too much equing isn't leading to better results either, at least for the referenced Oratory PEQ and my own perception

@FooFighter I’ve been trying out a revised version of the Oratory PEQ that were updated fairly recently. No boomy bass etc. I enjoy what it does and flit from it and using no EQ as I do like the Elite with no tweaks a lot. Worth a try if you haven’t found anything else and is a good starting point if you want to tweak it!

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...man_over-ear_2018/Meze Elite (hybrid earpads)

How do you find the Ferrum Stack with the Elite? I was tempted to use the Naim HE as a pre into it as an alternative.

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #3,323 of 5,620
Finding the Elites lean? Lean in the bass or mids?

I don’t Eq mine. I only have two headphones - the Elite and LCD-3 Pre fazor and it helps with amp and DAC choices that both have a similar sound signature.

I use a Master 9 as my amp and Metrum Menuet as the DAC. Full bodied sound with excellent transient speed and dynamics. The M9 is the only solid state amp that stopped me chasing valve amps. And I added a good streamer (Auralic Aries) to completely eliminate USB - made a big difference.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,324 of 5,620
just to let you know... some headfiers talked about transporting the elite safely.

i just found the geekria "proshell" which looks very good:

81qXzY8r+LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81HhzTkF4NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #3,325 of 5,620
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,326 of 5,620
The Elite case is perfect for me
for me, too. but some friends here wanted to have a separate case for it. i just wanted to share what i found :)

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #3,327 of 5,620
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #3,328 of 5,620
I like the Elite case. Sometimes I pretend I'm a secret agent carrying something valuable but only to a handful of people.

Oct 22, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #3,329 of 5,620
I like the Elite case. Sometimes I pretend I'm a secret agent carrying something valuable but only to a handful of people.
When you carry the Elite in it, then you do carry something valuable. Literally.

Oct 22, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #3,330 of 5,620
Listening to Maria Daines on my oh-so-valuable Elites right now. These things are just getting better. Can't believe I got so darn lucky with a blind buy on these headphones. Every time I put these on and give a listen, I am just blown away. Totally transformed my audio habit into a raging addiction and it didn't need much help to do that LOL. Seriously these headphones do not get near enough accolades IMHO.

One thing I noticed is that YT music videos overall compared to Tidal streaming are in many cases totally lacking in quality, which I did not hear so much with the 4z so go figure. With the Elites, if it is a really crappy recording, they tell you that loud and clear. When it is FLAC lossless mastered, the ambiance of the piece just shines right through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back