Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #466 of 582
I have the Sundara and it’s fantastic. More neutral than the HE 560 (less treble) and just as capable with respect to soundstage, detail, and bass extension.

Back to the 99 Neo, the EQ @Dobrescu George provided improves sound significancantly. Even the “Treble Boost” on the iPhone Apple Music EQ noticeably improves the sound. My source is an R2R 11 so maybe it’s too warm or the 2 ohm output impedance is too high for the Neo?

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #467 of 582
I have the Sundara and it’s fantastic. More neutral than the HE 560 (less treble) and just as capable with respect to soundstage, detail, and bass extension.

Back to the 99 Neo, the EQ @Dobrescu George provided improves sound significancantly. Even the “Treble Boost” on the iPhone Apple Music EQ noticeably improves the sound. My source is an R2R 11 so maybe it’s too warm or the 2 ohm output impedance is too high for the Neo?

Thank you!

I am not sure if the R2R11 is too warm, but I think that the improvement will be there with virtually any source, they just need more treble to sound their best and to be balanced :)

Theoretically, 2OHM of output impedance isn't quite that high and shouldn't affect them, but whether the source is on the warmer side, will make a change, and sometimes a big change

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #468 of 582
Thank you!

I am not sure if the R2R11 is too warm, but I think that the improvement will be there with virtually any source, they just need more treble to sound their best and to be balanced :)

Theoretically, 2OHM of output impedance isn't quite that high and shouldn't affect them, but whether the source is on the warmer side, will make a change, and sometimes a big change
My only problem with the using EQ on the Neo is that I regularly use my other headphones and IEMs and while they all sound different, none of them require an EQ to sound good.

One other thing, the DT-770 is arguably bass heavy and my Neo has significantly more mid-bass - is that supposed to be the case?

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #469 of 582
My only problem with the using EQ on the Neo is that I regularly use my other headphones and IEMs and while they all sound different, none of them require an EQ to sound good.

One other thing, the DT-770 is arguably bass heavy and my Neo has significantly more mid-bass - is that supposed to be the case?

I think that is correct. The EQ is rather drastic for 99 Neo and Classics, but the quality it brings to them is not to be taken lightly.

As for using it with other headphones, that will depend on which headphone. DT-770 might have a sparkly top end already, so it might not require more treble :)

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #470 of 582
I think that is correct. The EQ is rather drastic for 99 Neo and Classics, but the quality it brings to them is not to be taken lightly.

As for using it with other headphones, that will depend on which headphone. DT-770 might have a sparkly top end already, so it might not require more treble :)
Thanks :thumbsup: I guess I’ll have to live with EQing the Neo then.
(...the DT-770 is good if you need to stay awake :gs1000smile:)

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #472 of 582
The Neo have a bassy tone, particularly out of the box. The details in the music easily get through. When I had the 99 Classics I did not write a review, but I am so happy with the overall tone of the Neo. The bass should not be bloomy to a point where it is impeding the details in the mids or lower treble range. Again, in my opinion no EQ necessary. I also feel they are a steal at $199.00

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #473 of 582
Again, in my opinion no EQ necessary

I agree. I would hate to see someone pass on these because they have been made to feel that they will have to use EQ for it to be good. Personally, I am more than happy with them the way they are.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #474 of 582
Man...I knew when I joined Head-Fi I knew my wallet might be in danger...

I know I've spoken to others here in other threads about the 99 Neo's but I've been doing some extensive reading about these and it's peaked my interest. I got the 770 Pros and I like them a lot, they are a quality headphone...but I think after a month with them I'm just not sure if I will acquire a taste for their sound signature. But I love their detail and clarity. I have some problems with the treble and sibilance, that's the only thing really, but it's enough to make me question them. In fact I just listened to a bright sounding recording and my ears actually felt a little hot... They have spectacular quality but I think I might prefer a warmer sound signature. After listening to the 770's I find them much better than my M50x but I did like the warmth of the M50x. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm going to sell them yet but of the headphones I would replace them with the 99 Neo is on the top of my list. Everything I read about them seems good, nice mids, detailed but not forward treble, strong (maybe too strong, bleedy?) mid bass. Plus they look nicer and more portable. But I figure they don't have as strong of a sub-bass and aren't as spacious and detailed.

As I said I still don't know, I have only had these for a month and I enjoy them, so maybe I need more time (to me that isn't long enough) but, one thing I noticed...I'm not like, "I NEED to listen to more music with these!" They are just a solid, dependable headphone, but I don't know if I really LOVE them. I could've sworn last week they started sounding a lot warmer but now they've gone back to bright...don't know what happened. It's like they burned in then burned out. Lol.

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #475 of 582
about the 99 Neo's but I've been doing some extensive reading about these and it's peaked my interest.
The Beyer 770 are likely the most ideal second pairing to the Meze 99 Neo. The 770 has nice sub bass, good mid bass, a dip in low mids to true mids, flat high to bright high mids, sometimes harsh and peaky treble. There will be times you're in the mood for it or you're listening to warm or dull music and want that zing. Meze 99 Neo will be what you want for brighter recordings, or when your ears are in the mood for warm in general. The sub bass is about as good as the 770, the mid bass to low mids has some thickness that can be a problem on some music. The true mids are among the best I've heard. Voices and guitars are very up front and real, while the warmer high mid and highs keeps them smooth. So could that be too smooth? It's a matter of taste. It has 3D spacious wide sound unlike anything out there, without a mid scoop that some others have, that makes things distant. I'd consider a pair from a place with a good return policy (their website or Amazon). Myself they are my second pair for just that. When I want spacious, realistic, overly warm sounds, having the Sony MDR-1A (with Meze 99 pads) for even more sub bass, slightly cleaner low mids, flat mids, and a bit more high mids and highs, for more analytical listening that is better suited for lower level listening, over long periods (due to the extra highs and lows, no need to crank it), when I want an alternative to studio monitors when working on audio.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #476 of 582
I recently spent some good quality time with the Meze 99 Neo at a local boutique here in Pittsburgh.

For $199, I was extremely impressed with the balance these headphones have. They also manage to add a nice sparkle to the midrange that seems difficult to find in closed headphones in this price range.

I felt the treble was a little rolled off at the top, but as a plus, this made them very usable for long periods. Not fatiguing whatsoever. Also extremely comfortable. I almost walked out of the store with them.

I'll probably pick up a pair of these next month to replace my Beyerdynamics as my go-to portable set. Nice job!

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #477 of 582
Not fatiguing whatsoever. Also extremely comfortable.

I totally agree with this. I once used them for 12 hours straight:) I could have kept going but a person has to sleep eventually.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #479 of 582
Just out of curiosity, how does the MDR-1A compare to the 99 Neo? Looks like they share a similar sound, but Sony’s have more bloated bass and Neo’s have better mids. Sony’s are also more expensive in US but the international version is cheaper than the Neo.

Also, just remembered the Sony has bass ports that make them hard to use outside...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #480 of 582
Just out of curiosity, how does the MDR-1A compare to the 99 Neo?
The MDR-1A actually has decent isolation despite bass ports. Yes, a lot of other closed pairs isolate more. They compare to me - since I have both as my main two pairs -as being the ideal alternative. The Sony with stock pads has similar mid bass to the 99 Neo, in fact the 99 Neo has more bloat in the higher bass area. The Meze 99 pads make the Sony far more comfortable, increase soundstage, high mid clarity, and slightly clean up the low mids, and high bass, which is still big and punchy, but I prefer that sound. It is definitely more clean in the low mids and higher bass area than the 99 Neo. Similar in the mid bass, good on both cans, and more sub bass with the pads than almost any I had heard, remarkably the elevated sub bass does not affect the rest of the frequencies. Not just one note but it's powerful. The extra sparkle on top means I play it lower to avoid fatigue yet it's not harsh at all volumes like a lot of bright headphones I don't like (Beyer 770, 880 and 990 especially, the ATH-M50x and so on). So for long low level listening, it's my go to. The Meze is ok for that, though the extra mids means at low levels it can lack sparkle and sub punch. So the Meze do better cranked a bit (I still don't go to unsafe levels) to get the highs and lows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back