Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #6,031 of 7,703
I’m strongly considering picking up the 99s, and from what I can gather, the Noir is exactly the same as the Classics correct? In that case what made up that $100 difference (unless it was all just margin)?

The only difference should be aesthetics/finish. The price drop is due to it being a massdrop collaboration. Massdrop had to cut costs somewhere though, and some people have said that the Noir's matte finish chips easily. It will also have massdrop logo somewhere on it.

There are peoples impressions/reviews of the Noir in past pages, I believe starting around April.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #6,032 of 7,703
I purchased a pair of (new) small ear pads and the difference between these and the larger ones is considerable (imo) the bass is less boomy, much tighter and intrudes less on the mids, altogether money well spent.

btw i am happy with smaller pads as my ears are relatively small and i can fit e.g. oppo pm3 over my ears

d
Hi, could you measure the inner size of your new pads? Thanks

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #6,033 of 7,703
Nov 22, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #6,034 of 7,703
The only difference should be aesthetics/finish. The price drop is due to it being a massdrop collaboration. Massdrop had to cut costs somewhere though, and some people have said that the Noir's matte finish chips easily. It will also have massdrop logo somewhere on it.

There are peoples impressions/reviews of the Noir in past pages, I believe starting around April.

Cool, thanks for the info. I like the look of the Noir better but don’t necessarily want something that scratches so easily

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #6,036 of 7,703
thx all for response

@Lurk650 . yes, I saw the balanced ones on the webpage, I like them.. no balanced output on the v30 though

@Mhog55 - the parametric EQ is found within UAPP - tab on EQ - then parametricEQ - you get a popup for purchase, it was like 3 euros (maybe 4 ?), its good, I have no idea if it is applicable/available outside the UAPP app though if you dont have it (it was something like 8 euros to get - well worth it)

@PaganDL, yes the Plenue D, I adore the size and like the looks .. I think that just hasnt arrived in 2019 yet - SDcard with exFAT only 128gb? no 3rd party streaming apps? - prefer the LGv30 (although would love to test the sonic difference) ... and yes, of course there was a longer cable - but I would like to have one thats even shorter then the "short"one :wink: .. I guess I´ll just have to start with DIY, how hard can it be..:wink:

@Bansaku , yes, love the ifi xDSD - tested it some time back, lovely device - but easy going portable? not really

and regarding pads (seems to be quite a topic here) - I got the brainwavz oval hybrid ( recommended by Meze if originals are too small, and for me they were borderline small) - super comfy, I dont even feel the can on my head anymore, and soundwise these pads reduced a little bit the boominess of the bass but the rest of the sound signature stayed untouched (to my ears!) .. just perfect

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #6,037 of 7,703
@cc chabba,

No problem, happy to help.

Just get an affordable short custom cable from veclan.com, hard to go wrong.
See how that goes for you otherwise yes, DIY works though it's tricky but not difficult getting those connectors which go into the 99 Classics.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #6,039 of 7,703
This cable with 4.4mm connector would be awesome. Nearly 0 microphonics.I like and use it a lot.

https://mezeaudio.eu/collections/accessories/products/99series2-5-balanced-cable

lalala.JPG

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #6,040 of 7,703
Nov 26, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #6,041 of 7,703
Fiio BL44 or iBasso CA02

Im using a Fiio adaptor at the moment. Technic wise it does a great job but i dont like the additional dingle dangle on my headphone cable. Theres a "DJ44A" on the way. Thats the only adapter i like because of looks and minimalism.

Meze and all other manufacturers see whatsgoing on. The 4.4mm connector is going on. Providing a 4.4mm balanced cale for all their headphones should be obvious.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #6,042 of 7,703
Im using a Fiio adaptor at the moment. Technic wise it does a great job but i dont like the additional dingle dangle on my headphone cable. Theres a "DJ44A" on the way. Thats the only adapter i like because of looks and minimalism.

Meze and all other manufacturers see whatsgoing on. The 4.4mm connector is going on. Providing a 4.4mm balanced cale for all their headphones should be obvious.
Meze should include or make an option for adapters including and 4 pin XLR for desktop use. Agree 4.4mm is fast becoming the standard for on the go.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #6,043 of 7,703
Meze should include or make an option for adapters including and 4 pin XLR for desktop use. Agree 4.4mm is fast becoming the standard for on the go.
I run my 99 classics via 4pin XLR. Had a custom cable made and thought there’d be a difference in sound for the better. Honestly? It’s overkill. They’re so easy to drive that there’s really no need even on low gain on whatever amp you may own. I run them through a MJ2 and LYR3 low gain and the amp is about 8am and its LOUD! I “may” hear a bit more tightness in the bass but running SE for desktop is all you need.

Nov 26, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #6,044 of 7,703
Agree 4.4mm is fast becoming the standard for on the go.

Yup, it's becoming more and more popular. Asks we got about 4.4mm in the last year, in number dwarfed pretty much everything before that.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 28, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #6,045 of 7,703
I'm looking for a closed back version of the HD600 that I can use in bed without bothering anyone. And with a little more bass, and same price. Are the 99 Classics my ticket to joi?

I'm a huge HD600 fan, but am indeed in the camp that often wishes they had a bit more low end quantity (though not always).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back